What's new

Head-to-Head Mystic Water vs RazoRock Artisan!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Clones, I am so glad you liked it. This soap is really, really good stuff. When you hit it spot on, it is definitely one of the best I've ever used.

Given the issues some of us had in the beginning, I am very glad someone worked through to a good lather, because it is really amazing stuff! Thanks for posting!

This thread has been great for me and motivated me to try MW soap. Ordered three pucks, and some bath soaps too, this weekend. Can't wait to get them in! Thanks everyone for the great discussion and directions in creating a good lather, I will certainly use them.

I want to take a minute to say thanks to JCinPA, Brucerd, TheVez and cvac for this thread. Watching you guys dialing in the lather building process (and playing along with our home game!) has really helped me step up my lather game. The quality of lather I've been getting the past two weeks, not just from MW but from all my products, has been a real step up.

So, thanks!

Excellent, I'm glad this was all for the greater good. I think it was a super fun thread. We kept our disagreements civil, had some good banter, and I think we all learned something in the process.

I love this place!

Excellent, I'm glad this was all for the greater good. I think it was a super fun thread. We kept our disagreements civil, had some good banter, and I think we all learned something in the process.

I love this place!

well said. i learned that i can now lather this soap with a dry brush, and for some reason with the fully soaked "marco method" brush. figure that one out.

yes, fun thread and a great comparisson of 2 soaps. not sure there is a winner between the 2.

i like both and there is no reason for me to choose just one....try both. they are affordable and easy to obtain and come in a variety of scents to compliment each other and don't have to compete with each other in a shave den.

Last edited:
I I agree, I own both and they are both great. I have a favorite indeed, but I will continue to use both.

Last edited:
I subscribed to this thread from the start and was intrigued to purchase some samples of MW. I attempted to lather my lavender lime sample last night resulting in the airy foam. I believe it was too much water & not enough product. Either way, I went back thru this thread to read about what exactly I was doing right & what was wrong. I attempted the Marco Method from the start. I know now that I need to squeeze the water out of the brush. I have a TGN Finest 2 band brush very similar to JCinPA's Parker in Best, so I can compare it to his method. I will give all this a whirl and try it again tonight when I get home. I really love the scents so far and want to be able to use this soap. I also want to try distilled water to see if I get different results from my normal hard tap water.

If you get airy foam again following Vez's or Brucerd's methods, keep working it for an extra minute. This lather really likes to hold on to bubbles sometimes and needs longer to integrate and condense w/ the added water. I don't get to nuts with my mixing (scrambling an egg vs whipping cream, if that means anything to you) so it takes a few minutes if I add too much water at once.

If you get airy foam again following Vez's or Brucerd's methods, keep working it for an extra minute.

i've been able now to use the full Marco Method with the MW soap, as i have been with the RR all along.

i have been able to product it with test lathers and shave lathers, using a SOC & 1305, boar brushes, with soaking wet brush. might be the water, might be the application time, but it's now working for me.

i posted my steps and a pic and video of the lather in the other MW thread, HERE

works for me :balloon:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I am wondering if we simply were not using enough product?? I am still trying to figure out what the issue is, and now Donoma says he has had a little airy foam along the way learning this stuff.

Clearly, this soap is LESS finicky than we first thought, but is is MORE finicky than a RazoRock or QCS. But clearly if you learn it's secrets, it is EASY to get great lather from it.

I just had to try that Martin de Candre Bkfist was kind enough to send me, but I decided that I like the Mystic Water just as much! It is truly 'Mystical stuff'! :wink2:

I just had to try that Martin de Candre Bkfist was kind enough to send me, but I decided that I like the Mystic Water just as much! It is truly 'Mystical stuff'! :wink2:

+1 completely agree with you, John. i have been using Michelle's soap since i began shaving (7 months)!

Just read through this entire thread. Great info here! I have samples of lime, prospect creek and, sandalwood rose. I enjoy the scents of them all, but haven't been able to get great lathers like I can with cella, MWF, or RR King Louis. I was about ready to give up, but will now try with a dryer brush.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro

+1 completely agree with you, John. i have been using Michelle's soap since i began shaving (7 months)!

I am glad it was not just me! I felt I was sticking my neck out a bit, what with the super rep MdC has around here. But a half/half shave is pretty revealing. I could not really tell the difference in lather and shave quality at all.

Hey, Brian, are you considering doing a half and half shave for us?

** Update **

I did a test lather last night and EUREKA, I broke the code!! :smartass: Rich, thick foamy lather!! It's too bad I didn't need a shave at that time. After my success there, I went to try lathering some Modern Williams :whistling: ...it was better there, but no cigar yet.

I lathered up some MW Lavender Lime this morning to shave and I couldn't duplicate last nights batch. It was shave worthy lather, but I was hoping it would have been like my previous test lather. While sitting here at work, I catch myself feeling my smooth face. I don't recall ever having a smooth face like this before. I've only been wet shaving since January, but I definitely have a soap that has earned a permanent spot in my den. :euro:

For those that are questioning the lather, keep at it because if a noob like me can get this soap to lather then anyone can. You just have to experience this soap to believe it!

David, one of the ways that this soap is nice is that even if you get it a little wrong and the lather starts to break down on you, it's still nice and slick.

I found that I was getting impatient (or running out of time) when shaving, so I wasn't mixing as long or adding as much water as I would when test lathering. Making the conscious decision to slow down a bit when making my shaving lather had a big salubrious effect.

Your fellow newbie,
Eric

Top Bottom