What's new

Head Shaving with a Straight Razor

Hi all,

I thought a resource post may be useful for people looking to begin head shaving with a straight. Tips, tricks, kit etc.

I've been head shaving this way for nearly a year now, having forsworn cartridge-type razors. I do use a safety razor occasionally, but the vast majority (~200 or so) of my shaves have been with a Feather AC SS, or a straight. It's been a good journey for me with surprisingly low blood loss, but the daunt factor is high and severe mistakes are certainly possible.

All thoughts and tips most welcome :D

Some ideas from me, still a relative beginner:

The kit side of things won't differ much from a standard setup for straight razor shaving, however when starting out a few things are required:

- A good, sharp straight razor. Doesn't need to be fancy but should be well honed and stropped. I do find that a stiffer blade is easier to use. Very wide full-hollows can provide a great shave but may not be the wisest choice for a total beginner. The Feather is my go-to and with its excellent design I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone new to straights.

- A high-quality soap or cream that provides high levels of slickness. IMO slickness > cushion every time for head shaving.

- Some kind of backup razor for really tricky areas or when you don't have time.

- Alum block and styptic pencil for the inevitable nicks.

- Possibly a hat :001_smile

Tricks and tips:

- Good skin prep. Personally, a soapy wash with lots of hot water.

- Some alum on the fingertips can increase one's confidence in gripping the blade.

- A rich but wet lather transformed my shaves from purgatory to enjoyable.

- Learning to hold the razor nearly flat with a consistent pressure, and allowing the blade to 'float' through angle changes, elevated them to nirvana.

- For tight areas (i.e. above and behind the ear), placing the blade at a steeper angle at start of stroke, then beginning the stroke by rolling the blade on its axis toward the flat. Barbers do this exact movement when trimming beard edges. A mirror is useful for checking position and alignment first.

- On the top of the scalp, due to the lack of subcutaneous tissue, a slightly higher angle and lighter pressure seems to work best.

- At least when beginning, probably don't shave daily - allow your skin some time to recover.

I don't shave my head yet, but if I ever start I will surely try a straight. Nice write up.

Thank you :cool: It's a bit of a niche interest, but I know I'm far from the only one. The advice and information available on B&B from members such as yourself and @ScottChapin was crucial in helping me get started, so wanted to pay back what I could in terms of knowledge.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I have tried a few places, but mostly I am terrified of using a straight on my head. I am still a relative newbie at using straights, and still often clean up tough areas on my face with a DE, but for areas that I can't see, I am not sure I could muster the courage to begin. I would want some ear protection! So for now, straight for my face, mostly, and DE for my head.
I can see the appeal of going all to one system.

I have tried a few places, but mostly I am terrified of using a straight on my head. I am still a relative newbie at using straights, and still often clean up tough areas on my face with a DE, but for areas that I can't see, I am not sure I could muster the courage to begin.

I admit to being quite shaky on the first shave. But it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it might be, and soon I realised that, so long as one is careful it needn't be a bloodbath. Nicks are inevitable of course, but I started to regularly get completely blood-free shaves after just a few months, and the wounds I have got have thankfully all been minor.

I would want some ear protection!

Ears - good point. I use my free / opposite hand to fold the ear forward and pin it while working above and behind it; I've found a system that works well to shave the area, and it's actually done quite quickly. I also go ATG / away from the ear so there's no danger of going too far with the razor and unintentionally doing a Vincent :)

Once you move backward towards the nape & occiput and begin whatever upward or downward stroke you want to use, it is possible to catch the lobe or back of the ear with the heel of the blade. However I've only done this once, and it was due to trying to use the toe of the blade while still working on that 'rear-quarter' of the head. It's simple to prevent: just shave this area with the first portion of the blade, and develop an awareness of the blade's position. While you can't actually see the blade in a mirror you can see the handle fine, and this is enough of a visual cue to guide you.

I found when I shaved my head in front a mirror I got more nicks and cuts than doing it blind. I now do it in the shower with no mirror. 100% feel = very careful. I now find the same for my face. The mirror has become distracting.

I am proficient with a straight shaving my face. I don't head shave but if I needed to I would use a DE. Dont think I have the guts ... lol

It's genuinely not that bad - just a case of ingraining the muscle memory. You would be fine very soon.

I found when I shaved my head in front a mirror I got more nicks and cuts than doing it blind. I now do it in the shower with no mirror. 100% feel = very careful. I now find the same for my face. The mirror has become distracting.

I get this completely. I was very focused on the mirror when I began, overly so really. As I've become more skilled I use it less, but I'm far from being able to ditch it completely. Fair play to you; and as for using a straight, in the shower... That really does take guts! ;)

I don’t have to shave my head, but I do find myself looking away from the mirror more than not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanted to add a line on creating this rich but slick lather, in case anyone finds my research helpful. Found the following method most reliable.

I've been applying a lot of soap to the brush with minimal water, to reduce the tendency of the lather to explode. 'Painting' this very dense stuff onto the scalp, then moistening brush tips with a bit of water and gently re-painting over this layer. This makes a lovely, super-slick lather.

I'd thought I was done with soaps having moved to using pharmaceutical moisturising creams instead, but find this method almost or equally as comfortable, and superior for longer stubble.

Hey thanks a lot for this. I have gifted a few straight razors to head shavers to try in the past without being able to point them toward anything specific for guidance and pointers. I will bookmark this thread and use it to help in my straight razor proselytization.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've been shaving my head for 25 years this year. Actually, I started that in a January, so maybe I should hoist a jar to that anniversary.

Anyhow, never wanted to try naked-blade shaving because it just sounded dangerous. Things change. I picked up a couple shavettes lately and I've been working at being dangerous. It's not as threatening as I thought. Maybe a few years doing it several other ways helps. I do find at this point that it takes me a longer time, which isn't all bad.

The prep and technique is definitely different, though. I'm having fun with the learning. I've already figured out that the Focus Slim Al is a very nice razor for shaving one's head! I still keep a loaded slant around for edging and cleanup.

O.H.

I picked up a couple shavettes lately and I've been working at being dangerous. It's not as threatening as I thought. Maybe a few years doing it several other ways helps. I do find at this point that it takes me a longer time, which isn't all bad.

The prep and technique is definitely different, though. I'm having fun with the learning. I've already figured out that the Focus Slim Al is a very nice razor for shaving one's head! I still keep a loaded slant around for edging and cleanup.

O.H.

Excellent, welcome to the brotherhood of naked-blade headshavers! And Happy Head Shave Anniversary :)

Please feel free to post up any hints & tips as you find them, it'd be great to make this an improved resource for those starting out.

Last edited:
Hey thanks a lot for this. I have gifted a few straight razors to head shavers to try in the past without being able to point them toward anything specific for guidance and pointers. I will bookmark this thread and use it to help in my straight razor proselytization.

This is fantastic to read, I'm really glad the thread will be used as I hoped. I've been considering doing a video, might do so at some point soon and post it up on here.

Top Bottom