What's new

Head Shaving Journey Begins...

Started my head shaving journey tonight...

Little backstory, used to wet shave my face on the daily. Have very sensitive skin and DE was really the only thing that worked for me, then about 5 years ago my company ok'ed beards and I put all my gear I'm storage. Been blade shaving my head with mach 3's for about a year now and the cost along with the boring can goo made me miss my old shaving gear.

Flash forward and now I bought a Jagger DE89...my fave razor is my Merkur Futur, but it's too aggressive for my head.

Proroso cream, Darby blade, Aqua Velva sensitive aftershave bomb.

0 cuts, no weepers. Did a WTG and a XTG. Hardest part is definitely the crown of my head...can still feel a bit of stubble, but mirror test shows that it isn't really noticable.

Biggest issue I was running into was my blade was skipping across the back of my head!!! I thought for sure it was going to cut my up, but nothing. Just tugged/skipped and felt odd...guess I need a sharper blade?

Overall I'm super happy with my first go. It already feels way better than the Mach 3. Way less irritation.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Good luck on your journey!

There's a wealth of information in this thread: Head Shaver's Check-In

For me, my best head head shaver is the micromatic OC SE razor.

With a DE, the prewar Tech or 48-50 Aristocrat were my goto razors.

If you want to get smooth, get rigid. The razors you mentioned doesn't support the blade enough for me. Do a search on "rigidity".

I have to shave in many directions to get smooth.

Good luck on your journey!

There's a wealth of information in this thread: Head Shaver's Check-In

For me, my best head head shaver is the micromatic OC SE razor.

With a DE, the prewar Tech or 48-50 Aristocrat were my goto razors.

If you want to get smooth, get rigid. The razors you mentioned doesn't support the blade enough for me. Do a search on "rigidity".

I have to shave in many directions to get smooth.
Thanks for the tips! Never really looked into "rigidity" on a razor. Something I'll have to see.

I have very razor bump prone skin, so I never pursue a BBS shave. Just want it to look as smooth as possible.

I get razor bumps from twin blades or more. Also by not keeping my skin moisturized.

A rigid razor will cut stubble cleaner than a not so rigid razor.

On days that I don't shave my head(use to shave daily), I still wash my head and use Nivea Maximum Hydration post shave balm.

2nd head shave with the Jagger.

Proraso cream, little jojoba pre oil, AV after balm, but the BIG difference this time was the Gillete 7o'clock green blade...

Holy moly this blade was A LOT sharper than the Derby. My head is probably 3 times smoother than the last shave. WTG followed by a XTG pass. No ATG.

It's so much smoother that I'm pretty certain I'm going to get razor bumps....time will tell.

Picked up a 70s Superspeed and filled it with an Astra...exquisite shave. Cut through my hair like butter and left my head with one DFS.

Stirling shaving soap with Nivea sensitive balm for post.
proxy.php

48-50 Gillette TTO's, Aristocrat and Superspeed, were my favorites along with the postwar Tech. The later black handled Superspeed is a tad less efficient, but a worthy razor nonetheless!

48-50 Gillette TTO's, Aristocrat and Superspeed, were my favorites along with the postwar Tech. The later black handled Superspeed is a tad less efficient, but a worthy razor nonetheless!
This guy is a lot more aggressive than the Jagger I've been using. Could be the Astra blade though....I'm going to try an Astra in the Jagger in a couple days and see how that goes to compare them.

Been hunting for a 40s TTO, and have been thinking about trying a NEW as well. Waiting for the right ones to fall to me though.

I shaved my head for the first time yesterday. Been thinking about it for a while. I mentioned it to a colleague who also shaves with DE razors and he thought I was silly to do it the first time with a DE razor. I used my PAA double open comb and a Vidyut SuperMax stainless, lubricated my head with Taylor of Old Bond Street luxury coconut shave cream. Satisfying results. I wouldn't claim bbs or dfs. Couple of nicks and it stung a bit when rubbing with my alum block. I quite like the look too. Might stick with it.

I shaved my head for the first time yesterday. Been thinking about it for a while. I mentioned it to a colleague who also shaves with DE razors and he thought I was silly to do it the first time with a DE razor. I used my PAA double open comb and a Vidyut SuperMax stainless, lubricated my head with Taylor of Old Bond Street luxury coconut shave cream. Satisfying results. I wouldn't claim bbs or dfs. Couple of nicks and it stung a bit when rubbing with my alum block. I quite like the look too. Might stick with it.
Do indeed stick with it! It's a wonderful feeling!

Top Bottom