What's new

Head Shavers: What Do You Use?

What type of razor or device do you currently use to shave your head?

• 1. DE shave

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • 2. SE razor

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • 3. Straight razor

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 4. Cartridge razor

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • 5. Specialty razor specificalliy designed for head shaving such as the Headblade

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 6. Specialty razor designed for face shaving but used on head such as the Leaf razor.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • 7. Electric

• 8. Other

• Total voters
Go for it. Take your time and focus on the task at hand. Everything should be fine. Pick a three-day weekend just in case :)
Since I'm not the type of person who would suggest a course of action that I wouldn't be willing to try myself... I just finished a head shave with a DE razor and all is well; I passed the white towel test and everything. I'm not working tomorrow, so it's a three-day weekend for me :)

20210401.jpg

I used a P&G Gillette Super Blue razor and no, I didn't lose a bet. It's one I picked up last year and decided to use for the April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge to keep the cost down. I still prefer the pivoting head of the Gillette Guard for those more challenging areas of the dome, but it was a fine shave and I'm glad I attempted it. Good luck to you.

Reactions: ewk

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Been shaving my head since January, 1996. I use:
  • 1. DE razor YES
  • 2. SE razor YES
  • 3. Straight razor YES
  • 4. Cartridge razor NEVER
  • 5. Specialty razor specificalliy designed for head shaving such as the Headblade NEVER
  • 6. Specialty razor designed for face shaving but used on head such as the Leaf razor. NEVER
  • 7. Electric YES
  • 8. Other YES :letterk1: used an ax once. Won't do that again.
I understand getting all wrapped up in "what if" because I'm really good at that. But really...just shave it. There are some differences between shaving a head (hard, lots of curves, no padding) and shaving a face (soft, flat planes, lots of padding). But every single one of us is different so YMWV. Grab whatever you have, put a fresh blade in it, lather up a patch of skull and shave it. Lather up another patch and shave that. Try some skin stretching, find the angles, pay attention.

The absolute bar-none closest shave I can get is with a barber straight. A slant razor works like a charm.

Happy to answer specific questions. We gotcher back, just go do it.

O.H.

I shave the dome twice a week, using a Viking Blade Emperor on setting 4 and switch to 2 to finish. Last Sunday I got myself behind the ear. First cut since I started at Christmas.

only cartrige razors for me from now on. tried using a DE razor 3 times and i look like i jumped into a pile of broken glass head first. seems to only get real bad when trying to shave the left side with my right hand lol

Voted #8 - Schick ST2 SlimTwin disposable razors. Never any nicks / blood letting. For me, they last a long time. Lately I stopped head shaving daily and moved to every 2-3 days. I'll shave that (pun intended) to every other day or daily what with the hot temperatures coming. It's just one of those totally satisfying moments.

edit: found a pic

proxy.php

Last edited:
Have used carts and DE's in the past.. For almost a year just the Leaf every other dayish. Been headshaving for over 10 years.

I mainly use my 1918 gillette single ring with feathers.in my experience open combs are what work for me on the noggin,giving minimal to no bumps😎.but the most successful shave always comes from good prep

linty1

My wallet cries.
Since I'm not the type of person who would suggest a course of action that I wouldn't be willing to try myself... I just finished a head shave with a DE razor and all is well; I passed the white towel test and everything. I'm not working tomorrow, so it's a three-day weekend for me :)

View attachment 1245051

I used a P&G Gillette Super Blue razor and no, I didn't lose a bet. It's one I picked up last year and decided to use for the April Frugal Follies Cheapskate Challenge to keep the cost down. I still prefer the pivoting head of the Gillette Guard for those more challenging areas of the dome, but it was a fine shave and I'm glad I attempted it. Good luck to you.

For me, this is one of my favourite razors.

I didn't know there were so many options for head, I just assumed it was carts, because of all the angles/troubke seeing etc. I do know there is also this.. it kinda looks like a palm sander thing from Conair thats electric and you sorta rub all over your head and it shaves it. Its not a palm sander. Don't use a palm sander.

Leaf razor, all day everyday!

I find the Leaf the easiest road to BBS on my head..but not the most enjoyable. It feels a lot like using a cart which I don't much like. So it mostly gets used if I'm in a hurry or for touch up if my chosen DE for the day does a poor job.

I broke down and ordered a Leaf razor. I ordered it on Sunday, it shipped on Monday and it’s sat the last three days in the post office at Stonybrook. What in hades is wrong with USPS?

As soon as I get it, it will be doing double duty. My head and the wife’s legs. We’ll have to figure out how to keep the blades sorted out. I sure don’t want to shave my head with blades that she has used to shaved he legs.

If it works out, I’ll order a second one.

I broke down and ordered a Leaf razor. I ordered it on Sunday, it shipped on Monday and it’s sat the last three days in the post office at Stonybrook. What in hades is wrong with USPS?

As soon as I get it, it will be doing double duty. My head and the wife’s legs. We’ll have to figure out how to keep the blades sorted out. I sure don’t want to shave my head with blades that she has used to shaved he legs.

Keep us posted.

It showed up today. I’ll give it a whirl as soon as I can and postin a new thread.

Top Bottom