What's new

Head Shavers: What Do You Use?

What type of razor or device do you currently use to shave your head?

• 1. DE shave

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • 2. SE razor

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • 3. Straight razor

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 4. Cartridge razor

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • 5. Specialty razor specificalliy designed for head shaving such as the Headblade

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 6. Specialty razor designed for face shaving but used on head such as the Leaf razor.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • 7. Electric

• 8. Other

• Total voters
Lately, I have received a number of PMs and emails concerning head shaving. For some reason, some new guys are reluctant to post questions on the general forum about this subject. The two questions that come up the most are: (1) what to use and (2) how often to shave.

On the second question, I usually say I shave daily but it is up to the individual on how often to shave.

On the first question, I tell them that I started with using whatever I was using on my face and I did this for a few years. However, two years ago I switched to a Mach 3 type of razor and have continued to use a cart.

I thought I would create a poll so these new guys can see what most of us use. For choices 5,6 and 8, please specify the name of the razor or implement somewhere in a post.

And new shavers, please feel free to ask questions!

I like something light. It's not impossible to bang a razor off the melon so light has an advantage there. I used a Bakelite Wardonia for a while. I also like a vintage Schick injector. My 3ONE6 is light enough and the larger blade gap works a treat. I've just bought a ATT Windsor Pro aluminium which will probably work well.

I used cartidges for many years before discovering DE razors a few months ago. Ain’t no shame in using them on the head. Bumps, contours, and odd shapes make the head a challenging landscape for a DE. I am just too cheap to buy cartridges any more as all my money is in the wide world of razors. I find the Henson razor to provide the best head shaving experience so far. The Henson was the first razor to provide a baby smooth result on the back fringe; not even a cartridge could do that in all those years.

I'm not seeing the poll options but I'll say I use mild de razors and get great head shaves. My go to is a rex ambassador on setting 2-2.5 with a wizamet or feather blade. I typicallt shave every 3 days. It is a different technique than de shaving your face because the angles are different. Once you find the technique it is quite nice.

- Fayiz D.

I shave my head every other day with the dreaded & expensive Gillette Fusion. I shave my face just as often, but I use a DE razor for that. I am hoping one day to transition to the head shave with a DE as well, but so far I just haven't been able to work up the courage to try it. Hopefully it will happen soon for me as the Fusion cartridges are not cheap !

I shave my head every other day with the dreaded & expensive Gillette Fusion. I shave my face just as often, but I use a DE razor for that. I am hoping one day to transition to the head shave with a DE as well, but so far I just haven't been able to work up the courage to try it. Hopefully it will happen soon for me as the Fusion cartridges are not cheap !
Have you looked into the leaf?

- Fayiz D.

A mild razor makes the task very easy.

An open comb will slice through longer hair with no difficulty (I sometimes go a week without shaving).

So the perfect head shaver is... drum roll... a Merkur open-comb. This is one of the mildest designs you can get with negative blade exposure.

I use a cartridge razor. Either Bic Flex, Gillette Sensor Excel or Gillette Guard. I lather by just rubbing a puck of soap on my head and working it up to the required slickness with wet fingers. I shave my head once every six days or so. Anything over a week and the hair starts to clog the razor.

Usually I use my Leaf razor, with blades in the middle and top spot. I like Nacet, Feather, or Voskhod blades. I also use a Defender cartridge sometimes, especially when I want a faster shave. I tried the HeadBlade, but I really didnt like it.

I also shave every day, not really because I have to, I could probably go every other day, but I really love it!

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I use a DE razor, what ever I am using that day on the face. Gave myself a weeper today being a little cavalier.

In the last year I've just been using waterproof clippers twice a week in the shower. Super easy and maybe the lowest maintenance haircare routine I've ever kept.

But before that for about a year I'd been shaving my head twice a week with a DE razor.

I used a Merkur 34c with Astra green blades and Cremo classic shave cream.

The main tips from my experience would be using a razor with good grip (my 34c over my 34g with it's less aggressive knurling) because you'll be working at weird angles. A none lathering cream like Cremo is great to easily keep your scalp protected even working blind behind your head as I'd found trying to use a brushed on lather was problematic.

I'd get a spot of the Cremo and put a few little spots of it around my head and then start working in water to have a nice overall slick. Cremo needs a lot of water and if I needed to retouch an area I never needed more cream, just more water. Then I'd start with the 34c against the grain and use the fingers on my other hand to gauge where I'd got a good pass, where I hadn't shaved yet, and where I'd want to retouch. Then working around the rest of my head, always against the grain, I'd just proceed with the rest of the shave, adding water when needed. Once I was finished I'd do a final check and rinse off and use a post shave like Nivea post shave balm or even just Lubriderm daily moisture lotion but NEVER a splash as those have always had an awful sting on my scalp.

I use the Gillette Guard for my head shaves. I've tried a rotary electric razor, DE, and Schick Xtreme3. I keep coming back to the Guard. I like it because I get good results and it allows me to shave quickly and safely. There may be "better" options available, but unfortunately I purchased enough replacement cartridges to last the next eight years or so. :)

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets

The first time I used a razor to shave my head was DE. At first, I was very worried about to cut the back of my head, so I spent a lot of time; but as long as I was familiar with the direction of the brush strokes and the scalp, everything became very easy.

Since you already have experience in shaving your head, I believe you will take a shorter time to get used to it.

The first time I used a razor to shave my head was DE. At first, I was very worried about to cut the back of my head, so I spent a lot of time; but as long as I was familiar with the direction of the brush strokes and the scalp, everything became very easy.

Since you already have experience in shaving your head, I believe you will take a shorter time to get used to it.
Thanks for the advice, yea I really need to just summon up the courage one day and go for it.

Top Bottom