What's new

Head Shaver's Check-In

Evening gents
A fellow head shaver checking in

I had previously shaved my head with a Mach 3 and the following 4 and 5 blade offerings from both Gillette and Wilkinson Sword
I also went to a Turkish barber for a head shave and to shape and trim my beard as I didn't enjoy shaving at all and had for years merely grown a beard, trimmed it with hair clippers and repeat ad nauseam

Decided that if I was going to start cleaning myself up and shaving I should do it right and picked up my first DE, a futur, and began to cut lumps from my head and face as I had no technique and no real idea how the adjustment mechanism worked
Finally got my technique sorted and I have since expanded my shaving tools family
I have a couple of slims, a Rex and a timeless titanium 0.95

For my head I find the timeless the best option, it is light, smooth and I have found it very forgiving if I make a mistake
I generally shave my head every 36/48 hours but as my den of razors grow I find myself inclined to shave every day just to make use of all the equipment

Evening gents
A fellow head shaver checking in

I had previously shaved my head with a Mach 3 and the following 4 and 5 blade offerings from both Gillette and Wilkinson Sword
I also went to a Turkish barber for a head shave and to shape and trim my beard as I didn't enjoy shaving at all and had for years merely grown a beard, trimmed it with hair clippers and repeat ad nauseam

Decided that if I was going to start cleaning myself up and shaving I should do it right and picked up my first DE, a futur, and began to cut lumps from my head and face as I had no technique and no real idea how the adjustment mechanism worked
Finally got my technique sorted and I have since expanded my shaving tools family
I have a couple of slims, a Rex and a timeless titanium 0.95

For my head I find the timeless the best option, it is light, smooth and I have found it very forgiving if I make a mistake
I generally shave my head every 36/48 hours but as my den of razors grow I find myself inclined to shave every day just to make use of all the equipment
You have a great sounding den!

Had a bit of a revelation with today's head shave. A few weeks ago, I started taking my DE to my head after shaving my neck. It proved to be more fun than expected, and it rekindled my enjoyment of shaving. But I'd get only one shave per blade, Astra SPs in my Gillette Ball End, before shaving would super irritate my neck, making it red and sensitive. (I shave only my neck beard and head, and do so every other day.) Today I tried flipping the blade, and hot dang it worked! There may be slight irritation, but nothing I can see. Is anyone else one-and-done with blades? or flippers? or get multiple shaves with the same, unflipped edge?

(Stop here if you want to avoid talk of sharpness.)

I didn't believe flipping the blade would do the trick, and I'm still pretty surprised. I'm a woodworker, and I'd never flip my chisel expecting the other side to be sharper. Fair, my skin and hair aren't as harsh as white oak, cherry, or even pine, but I'm still not sure I get why flipping worked. A degraded edge is a degraded edge. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Either way, I'm going to keep up with it, since a one-time success doesn't prove much.

Had a bit of a revelation with today's head shave. A few weeks ago, I started taking my DE to my head after shaving my neck. It proved to be more fun than expected, and it rekindled my enjoyment of shaving. But I'd get only one shave per blade, Astra SPs in my Gillette Ball End, before shaving would super irritate my neck, making it red and sensitive. (I shave only my neck beard and head, and do so every other day.) Today I tried flipping the blade, and hot dang it worked! There may be slight irritation, but nothing I can see. Is anyone else one-and-done with blades? or flippers? or get multiple shaves with the same, unflipped edge?

I didn't believe flipping the blade would do the trick, and I'm still pretty surprised. I'm a woodworker, and I'd never flip my chisel expecting the other side to be sharper. Fair, my skin and hair aren't as harsh as white oak, cherry, or even pine, but I'm still not sure I get why flipping worked. A degraded edge is a degraded edge. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Either way, I'm going to keep up with it, since a one-time success doesn't prove much.

Using an Astra I get 2 face and 1 head shave. I'm tossing my blades every other day. The irritation caused by a used blade isn't worth the few pennies for me.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Guess I'd better get down here and check in...

Been head-shaving for 25 years, wet shaving that sucker for the last year. I started out looking to get a good shave like my old electric gave me. I dropped it on the floor of a hotel room and busted heck out of it, so I bought a new electric razor which almost left me with more stubble than I started with. So I bought a different electric and it was a little better.

Then I remembered various blade shaves administered by ladies I've known, and then I looked at blades again. Pretty quickly went through the DEs I could get and started on SE. Gem, mostly, lately a little AC with an ATT SE1. Between the SE1 and SE2 I've found the scary edge of my comfort zone.

Typically with a Gem I'm a 3-pass plus cleanup guy. With the SE1 I can get 'er done in two passes, and with the SE2 I can get done in two but then I need some bandaids. [grin]

No real problems. I'm lucky to have a nice smooth head. One tiny mole, but even the SE2 goes right over it. Head shaving's all I do; otherwise I have a more-or-less long beard depending on whether I've pruned it lately. Haven't seen the inside of a barber shop in more than 30 years. Started head shaving because I was spending more time and money to make it look like I had hair. Slowly going bald; mostly gone on top and mainly back and sides now.

O.H.

The blade edge bends before it dulls, flipping the blade keeps the edge where it should be.

Haven't shaved my head in a while, but I was getting 15-20 head shaves from a single DE blade, flipping it every shave.

The blade edge bends before it dulls, flipping the blade keeps the edge where it should be.

Haven't shaved my head in a while, but I was getting 15-20 head shaves from a single DE blade, flipping it every shave.
Ok I'll try. If flipping gets me to five head and beard shaves I'll be thrilled.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've been a headshaver for about three years. I had the typical old guy white fringe. My first wife passed in 2012, and when I remarried in 2016, my new wife asked me to shave my head, and that's what I've been doing for the past three years. I initially did it with my trusty Krona, but got involved with this shaving hobby a few months ago, developed RAD and now shave my head with either my new AS-D2, my Karve or my new Blackland Vector. My poor Krona sits lonely on the shelf. I prefer shaving my head with the AS-D2 as it seems to have the same neutral blade extension and efficiency as my Krona. I use the other two mainly for face shaving. I really like the AS-D2, and find myself using it more and more. My RAD has died down, and I may end up selling everything but the Krona and AS-D2. Anyway, that Feather razor makes a hell of a headshaver.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Sounds good! Flipping my Schick Proline got me to 28 head and face shaves, although in retrospect, the blade was dulling for about the last 5 to 7. Still, 20 is a good number.

Checking in. I'd been using a guardless clipper for a few months but my hair receding recently started to get asymmetrical, so out came the razor. So far I've been using my Gillette New LC but I'm going to try other razors and see if they work better for daily use. I've got a Tech and a Mamba. I've also used a Harry's cart but don't like it very much.

Checking in. I'd been using a guardless clipper for a few months but my hair receding recently started to get asymmetrical, so out came the razor. So far I've been using my Gillette New LC but I'm going to try other razors and see if they work better for daily use. I've got a Tech and a Mamba. I've also used a Harry's cart but don't like it very much.
A lot depends on your resources, but I’ve been shaving my head with a razor for at least two decades. The RazoRock aluminum Lupo is a good razor. I own the stainless steel version, and find it to be a great headshaver. The key for me is that I take my time, use short strokes, and use Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap. The other two headshavers for me are my AS-D2 and my Vector.

A lot depends on your resources, but I’ve been shaving my head with a razor for at least two decades. The RazoRock aluminum Lupo is a good razor. I own the stainless steel version, and find it to be a great headshaver. The key for me is that I take my time, use short strokes, and use Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap. The other two headshavers for me are my AS-D2 and my Vector.
Thanks, I bet an aluminum razor would be good.

Does MWF make shaving cream? Imma have to look into that soap for my head and face. Can I heat it and melt it into another container?

Top Bottom