What's new

Head Curvature

First of all I'm a relative newbie with about 4 months of DE experience so I apologize if this has been covered or is something every DE shaver should already know.

I recently discovered something about my meager shaver collection; two razors seem to shave me better and smoother than the other two. I compared the razor heads and I seem to notice a similarity between the razors that give me the best shave and the ones that don't.

First some details: my collection consists of one 1950's style Super Speed, one 1960's style Super Speed, a 1959 Fat Boy adjustable and a 1965 Slim Adjustable. My blade of choice is Feather for the adjustables and either a Feather or a Derby Extra for the Super Speeds.

I find the Slim to be a dream, better than the Fat Boy for me on the same settings. I can almost get by with a one pass shave on my first day with a Feather. I also find that my 1960's Super Speed shaves me WAY nicer than the 1957 version.

So last night I compered the razors side by side and I seem to notice a trend. It appears that the razors I like the most have a lower profile when viewed from the side. The lower profile is due to the curvature of the razor head; the "silo doors". It APPEARS that the Fat Boy has a higher curve and is taller than the Slim and the 1950's Super Speed has a higher curve than the 1960's Super Speed.

If I am right about this how does this wider arc, lower profile equate into a smoother or better shave, a lower blade angle to the face maybe. In any case I now want to try some other razors with a relatively low profile and see if the trend continues.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

There are several points on the head of the razor that effects the shave. As you noted, the curvature is one of those. A couple of other important points are the blade guard and how the blade edge is exposed in relation to the blade guard.

Top Bottom