What's new

Head and face shaving.

Newbie for over a year (maybe 2) and I need advice and feedback on a few things; Head and Face shaving. To put into account I'm Haitian so I got real kinky and course hair, so y'all already know my issue :001_302:. Those ingrown hairs!

First issue is my head, I want to shave my head because I just don't care to have hair up there. First time I tried with a Weishi Razor and it didn't work out . Got acne on the back of my neck and head and I had to stop for a while (if ya go to the bald head check in you'll see my post). So after recovering I wanted to shave my head again, but while shaving again I had a few changes. I used edge sensitive shave gel, and Bump fighter razor, and Thayers unscented which hazel and Jojoba Oil for after shave. Now I shaved the same time right after I used electric razor to shave my head. On the third time I shaved is when I noticed the bumps were coming. I had not replaced the razors yet but I was going to the fourth shave until I noticed the bumps. I have seen past posts on people using tree oil and aloe vera (maybe jojoba oil) to treat the bumps and irritation and as of now I just tested aloe vera and two drops of tree oil on the back of my neck.

I have a Gillete 85 (or 84) adjustable long handle, Astra Razor Blades (Feathers and Personna Also work but Astra seems to be a good balance of both).

Edge Shave gel

Shea moisture Shaving bar soap ( use to be used for shaving but nowgoing to use just as regular soap and to exfoliate my face before shaving).

Thayer's Witch Hazel, and Jojoba Oil

Bump fighter disposable razors.

Alterations I'm looking to make: Use Personna blades rather than my Astra for head as they are more mild. Looks into getting Paraso (however you spell it) Italian shaving soap but I don't know which one I want (green, moisturizing red, or sensitive white?). Looking into getting a shave brush, likely one on Amazon being sold for about $20 or a custom one on Etsy for $25 that's gotten good reviews. I thought about getting a shave bowl but I read reviews on how you can use the Shave soap and your face for the lathering.

Purchase nice aftershave balm to moisturize my face as well as use jojoba oil as a pre-shave (maybe for my head?)

For my face I've gotten better at shaving WTH AND XTG (I'm getting use to the abbreviations), and have stopped going ATG even though I miss that smooth feel (is it possible to try when I've better done my face?). I purchased exfoliating scrubs to use before and (if it's a good idea) in between my shaves with my soap. I have a bit of an issue shaving my jaw line as it's defined and the only way to shave even close is to move my skin (and that is a no no), so how do some of you guys do it? I also want to get rid of the hyperpigmentation on my face, so if you guys have any tips on that I would appreciate it. It's been a while since I been on here and would love to read for you all.

I'm trying to be as minimalist but also as effective as possible as I've seen many times said in here (less is more). I just want to be able to shave my head without any issues of bumps in the back. I've tried bump stopper and not much of any results.

What are good aftershave soaps? I saw some sandlewood one on Amazon and Jack Black among others, but really wanna know what's helped the real sensitive skin folk?

Welcome aboard!

I will try to help with as many questions as I can.

1. I am not a head shaver, so I cannot help much with that.

My ingrown hair issue (on my face) largely resolved once I started using a shaving brush and DE on a daily basis. My opinion is that carts tended to cut my beard below the skin line.

So, my main suggestion is that you go for SAS or DFS at most until your issue resolves. Look forward to others’ advice on this!

2. I also prefer a much ‘simpler routine’ with fewer variables: good prep, brush, high-quality soap, then I shave and follow with cold-water rinse and a splash. I don’t have much use for preshave oils, canned soap/gels, etc.

I endorse your approach to changing your routine. However, I suggest that you simplify your routine to focus on hydrating your beard. Then, change one thing at a time for awhile. This will make it easier to determine the key factors which determine your results.

3. You should ‘map’ you pattern of hair growth to understand what the terms WTG, XTG and ATG really mean in different areas.

4. In terms of specific products you mention (again, I would not change everything at once):

Personna makes lots of blades. My favorites are the lab (blues) and the Israeli (reds). Others have different preferences. Rather than focus on one brand however, I suggest that you purchase a blade sampler pack or two, then work your way through a number of options to see what works best for you.

Like many here, I prefer a brush and hard soaps or croaps. In your price range I would go for either a boar (which can take awhile to break in) or a synthetic.

I agree with your choice of Proraso. They make some excellent options in soaps, splashes, etc. Up to you whether you go for the ‘green’ (my personal favorite), the ‘red’ or the ‘white.’

Welcome aboard!

I will try to help with as many questions as I can.

1. I am not a head shaver, so I cannot help much with that.

My ingrown hair issue (on my face) largely resolved once I started using a shaving brush and DE on a daily basis. My opinion is that carts tended to cut my beard below the skin line.

So, my main suggestion is that you go for SAS or DFS at most until your issue resolves. Look forward to others’ advice on this!

2. I also prefer a much ‘simpler routine’ with fewer variables: good prep, brush, high-quality soap, then I shave and follow with cold-water rinse and a splash. I don’t have much use for preshave oils, canned soap/gels, etc.

I endorse your approach to changing your routine. However, I suggest that you simplify your routine to focus on hydrating your beard. Then, change one thing at a time for awhile. This will make it easier to determine the key factors which determine your results.

3. You should ‘map’ you pattern of hair growth to understand what the terms WTG, XTG and ATG really mean in different areas.

4. In terms of specific products you mention (again, I would not change everything at once):

Personna makes lots of blades. My favorites are the lab (blues) and the Israeli (reds). Others have different preferences. Rather than focus on one brand however, I suggest that you purchase a blade sampler pack or two, then work your way through a number of options to see what works best for you.

Like many here, I prefer a brush and hard soaps or croaps. In your price range I would go for either a boar (which can take awhile to break in) or a synthetic.

I agree with your choice of Proraso. They make some excellent options in soaps, splashes, etc. Up to you whether you go for the ‘green’ (my personal favorite), the ‘red’ or the ‘white.’

Thanks for the response! What's SAS and DFS? Fit hydrating my beard (if I understand you, correctly) I'm making sure it's well moisturized throughout my day and after I shave with jojoba oil and and such hazel . I use shea butter in the morning or before bed.

For mapping my face I have been able to figure out how it goes so I have only chosen to go with and across. 2 passes is the most I'll do.

For blades I meant Personna platinum (blue and red dash if I'm right). I have used a sampler kit which is how I decided to use Astra as platinum was good but too mild and feather was really smooth but too sharp for me. Gillette 7 o clock (green I believe) and derby are a "no no".

I've looked into brushes and thought between a boat and badger. Think I'm leaning more toward badger?

For soaps, I think I'm going to look for unscented just to be Oh the safe side. Think the first change will be to switch to brush and shave soaps

Check the B&B abbreviations for many of those used here.
SAS = socially acceptable shave
DFS = damn fine shave

Hi and welcome!

I would suffer terribly with ingrown hairs using a cartridge razor. It necessitated me scrubbing my scalp and beard area heavily after shaving with soap and a rough cloth or exfoliating mitt, otherwise I would get one or two nasty ingrown hairs every shave... these soon mounted up especially when work required me to shave daily. The scrubbing was slightly uncomfortable while I did it, but in fairness it never exacerbated razor burn. It was just a pain to do.

Since moving to single edged razors (mostly the Feather AC SS but also using a Razorock Hawk v2 on occasion) I have had very few ingrown hairs. I now scrub only lightly post-shave and reckon it's mostly superstition at this point. I've had to forego it completely a couple of times and had no problems at all. Perhaps this is just luck - the only other razor I've used since mid-February is a self-honed cheap Japanese straight I bought from eBay and sharpened using 'The Method' (well most of it haha).

I'm not sure how much I can help with my experience, as it sounds like a single-edged blade can still cause big problems for you. Have you tried scrubbing your scalp??

Luke

Hi and welcome!

I would suffer terribly with ingrown hairs using a cartridge razor. It necessitated me scrubbing my scalp and beard area heavily after shaving with soap and a rough cloth or exfoliating mitt, otherwise I would get one or two nasty ingrown hairs every shave... these soon mounted up especially when work required me to shave daily. The scrubbing was slightly uncomfortable while I did it, but in fairness it never exacerbated razor burn. It was just a pain to do.

Since moving to single edged razors (mostly the Feather AC SS but also using a Razorock Hawk v2 on occasion) I have had very few ingrown hairs. I now scrub only lightly post-shave and reckon it's mostly superstition at this point. I've had to forego it completely a couple of times and had no problems at all. Perhaps this is just luck - the only other razor I've used since mid-February is a self-honed cheap Japanese straight I bought from eBay and sharpened using 'The Method' (well most of it haha).

I'm not sure how much I can help with my experience, as it sounds like a single-edged blade can still cause big problems for you. Have you tried scrubbing your scalp??

Luke
Oh goodness, I have thought of using straight edge but I'll continue practicing with my DE for now, haha. I just bought an exfoliating scrub and am going to be doing it for a few days until the bumps wear off . Then after about a week or two (whenever they wear off) I'll have my products to try traditional wet shaving . I used a cartridge because I had used a DE Weishi long handle and it got the same results, so Yeah...

The difference this time that I want to try is exfoliating along with using actual shave soap . I'm going to try out unscented Black tie razor soap and use a synthetic brush for my scalp when lathering.

Oh goodness, I have thought of using straight edge but I'll continue practicing with my DE for now, haha. I just bought an exfoliating scrub and am going to be doing it for a few days until the bumps wear off . Then after about a week or two (whenever they wear off) I'll have my products to try traditional wet shaving . I used a cartridge because I had used a DE Weishi long handle and it got the same results, so Yeah...

The difference this time that I want to try is exfoliating along with using actual shave soap . I'm going to try out unscented Black tie razor soap and use a synthetic brush for my scalp when lathering.

I tried exfoliating scrubs with little joy FWIW. What did work well for many years were the coarse exfoliating gloves may women wear when bathing. Other things that worked included those synthetic shower puff things, and soft nail brushes. I lathered heavily which helped these to glide over the skin while digging deep to pull up the cut tips of the hairs from beneath the skin. Of course your mileage may vary, but it's worth a go as the items can all be had cheaply.

I tried exfoliating scrubs with little joy FWIW. What did work well for many years were the coarse exfoliating gloves may women wear when bathing. Other things that worked included those synthetic shower puff things, and soft nail brushes. I lathered heavily which helped these to glide over the skin while digging deep to pull up the cut tips of the hairs from beneath the skin. Of course your mileage may vary, but it's worth a go as the items can all be had cheaply.

I just finished my fave shave today she used an exfoliating pad while showering. I'll look into using exfoliating coarse gloves. Also work on getting a good lather

Exfoliating scrubs were no good for me, either. I take a hot shower (hot enough to raise a sweat if I step out of the shower). This opens the pores and softens the hairs about to be cut. I, too, use an exfoliating glove (nothing fancy, Dollar Store special). I use this to scrub all the dead and loose skin on my scalp and face (ingrown were never an issue, but excema is). After this I shave with no issues.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance to you, but I will say this . . . go slowly with changes, and only change one thing at a time, in your search for improvement. Change too many things at once and, if things do get better, you won't know what change caused it.

Exfoliating scrubs were no good for me, either. I take a hot shower (hot enough to raise a sweat if I step out of the shower). This opens the pores and softens the hairs about to be cut. I, too, use an exfoliating glove (nothing fancy, Dollar Store special). I use this to scrub all the dead and loose skin on my scalp and face (ingrown were never an issue, but excema is). After this I shave with no issues.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance to you, but I will say this . . . go slowly with changes, and only change one thing at a time, in your search for improvement. Change too many things at once and, if things do get better, you won't know what change caused it.

If anything I've change my aftershave for now. I'm using jojoba oil mixed with Thayers witch hazel and tree oil along with some Aloe Vera mixer for my face and head. After a few weeks I want to look into getting shave soap.

Personally I would advocate ditching your gel immediately and going with a good shave soap and brush. For me it would not be worth the risk of more bumps, and you would be assured that your new acquisitions were not responsible for such - just a thought.

Good luck with it @Nomad116, let us know how it goes.

Welcome to B&B!

I agree with some of the advice given so far. Let’s recap the points I think might help most with the bumps and ingrowns:

1: ease up on the technique/ pressure. If the shaves aren’t super close for a few weeks to maybe a couple of months, no big deal - as your technique and muscle memory improve, you’ll be able to shave closer and closer with no problems.

2: ditch the gel if you can. A decent brush and a good slick soap will help make the shaving process easier, smoother, and leave you with more consistently good results/ skin after.

3: back to technique, be sure you are using a friendly blade angle. Cap riding angle is kinder to skin and doesn’t lead to as many bumps as neutral or guard riding. The forum search function should turn up some diagrams of what those mean. Good angle, coupled with nice no pressure passes means a good, skin sparing shave.

4: don’t try to shave it all down in one or two passes. Make light, growth reduction passes, then lather up again and make another light, growth reduction pass. You will find a happy medium for your skin where you’re not doing enough passes to cause irritation, nor are you using enough pressure to cause problems.

It takes some time to learn to do these things. Not each shave and over multiple shaves. Your first several shaves with these thought In mind will be long shaves, it does get better, and your time shaving will reduce once you get the hang of it. Also, for some number of shaves while you get this all hammered out, better to be less well shaved today than covered in bumps and ingrowns tomorrow.

Personally I would advocate ditching your gel immediately and going with a good shave soap and brush. For me it would not be worth the risk of more bumps, and you would be assured that your new acquisitions were not responsible for such - just a thought.

Thanks a bunch! I'm going to looking to getting Black Tie Razor unscented shave soap and a synthetic brush in case My skin doesn't get irritated. Should my hair on my head be well cleaned first (no flakes or anything)? I think it might be a factor as well when thinking on preventing the bumps on my head.

Thinking back I think it was because my head was dry (had flakes on my hair). So I'm gonna make sure my hair is washed and conditioned and to to a barber to get it done, then see how it is after a week to start shaving (or should I shave sooner?).

Welcome to B&B!

I agree with some of the advice given so far. Let’s recap the points I think might help most with the bumps and ingrowns:

1: ease up on the technique/ pressure. If the shaves aren’t super close for a few weeks to maybe a couple of months, no big deal - as your technique and muscle memory improve, you’ll be able to shave closer and closer with no problems.

2: ditch the gel if you can. A decent brush and a good slick soap will help make the shaving process easier, smoother, and leave you with more consistently good results/ skin after.

3: back to technique, be sure you are using a friendly blade angle. Cap riding angle is kinder to skin and doesn’t lead to as many bumps as neutral or guard riding. The forum search function should turn up some diagrams of what those mean. Good angle, coupled with nice no pressure passes means a good, skin sparing shave.

4: don’t try to shave it all down in one or two passes. Make light, growth reduction passes, then lather up again and make another light, growth reduction pass. You will find a happy medium for your skin where you’re not doing enough passes to cause irritation, nor are you using enough pressure to cause problems.

It takes some time to learn to do these things. Not each shave and over multiple shaves. Your first several shaves with these thought In mind will be long shaves, it does get better, and your time shaving will reduce once you get the hang of it. Also, for some number of shaves while you get this all hammered out, better to be less well shaved today than covered in bumps and ingrowns tomorrow.
Thanks for the tips! For my head I'm thinking on going to a barber and having them shave my head first. I been getting smoother with my face do it's no longer sm issue for me

Here is my 2 cents. Worth exactly 2 cents. I head shave every 2-3 days. I only do 2 passes, one with the grain and one against the grain. I have 2 spots that do need a pickup stroke or 2. I get BBS to DFS every shave. I have found a good brush and soap are definitely needed. I use Astra SP blades on my dome. I have Feathers as well. It really is about technique. I shave with my right hand and have extra lather in my left to apply. I use an aggressive razor, .95 Timeless OC. Soap slickness is key for me. Minimalist try A&E soaps. Always a great shave and postshave for 17 bucks it is fantastic!. Go slow! Dont want cuts on the head. Try a good preshave cream like Proraso. Postshave depending on the soap, Whitch Hazel and a good AS balm. I always use on a daily basis CeraVe Moisturizer on my head. Not greasy and absorbs fast. Hope this helps!

I think against the train is out of the question for me, sadly. I will do WTG and probably stick with that. I am going to a barber tomorrow and afterward try shaving 2x a week with 2-3 day breaks, hoping that stops it. I was thinking in using proraso as a shaving cream but right now I will try trying one thing at a time and seeing how that goes. Gonna try witch hazel or just Jojoba oil for the after as it does fine for moisturizing for me. I'll look into this A&E soap. Hope it works for me

Newbie for over a year (maybe 2) and I need advice and feedback on a few things; Head and Face shaving. To put into account I'm Haitian so I got real kinky and course hair, so y'all already know my issue :001_302:. Those ingrown hairs!

First issue is my head, I want to shave my head because I just don't care to have hair up there. First time I tried with a Weishi Razor and it didn't work out . Got acne on the back of my neck and head and I had to stop for a while (if ya go to the bald head check in you'll see my post). So after recovering I wanted to shave my head again, but while shaving again I had a few changes. I used edge sensitive shave gel, and Bump fighter razor, and Thayers unscented which hazel and Jojoba Oil for after shave. Now I shaved the same time right after I used electric razor to shave my head. On the third time I shaved is when I noticed the bumps were coming. I had not replaced the razors yet but I was going to the fourth shave until I noticed the bumps. I have seen past posts on people using tree oil and aloe vera (maybe jojoba oil) to treat the bumps and irritation and as of now I just tested aloe vera and two drops of tree oil on the back of my neck.

I have a Gillete 85 (or 84) adjustable long handle, Astra Razor Blades (Feathers and Personna Also work but Astra seems to be a good balance of both).

Edge Shave gel

Shea moisture Shaving bar soap ( use to be used for shaving but nowgoing to use just as regular soap and to exfoliate my face before shaving).

Thayer's Witch Hazel, and Jojoba Oil

Bump fighter disposable razors.

Alterations I'm looking to make: Use Personna blades rather than my Astra for head as they are more mild. Looks into getting Paraso (however you spell it) Italian shaving soap but I don't know which one I want (green, moisturizing red, or sensitive white?). Looking into getting a shave brush, likely one on Amazon being sold for about $20 or a custom one on Etsy for $25 that's gotten good reviews. I thought about getting a shave bowl but I read reviews on how you can use the Shave soap and your face for the lathering.

Purchase nice aftershave balm to moisturize my face as well as use jojoba oil as a pre-shave (maybe for my head?)

For my face I've gotten better at shaving WTH AND XTG (I'm getting use to the abbreviations), and have stopped going ATG even though I miss that smooth feel (is it possible to try when I've better done my face?). I purchased exfoliating scrubs to use before and (if it's a good idea) in between my shaves with my soap. I have a bit of an issue shaving my jaw line as it's defined and the only way to shave even close is to move my skin (and that is a no no), so how do some of you guys do it? I also want to get rid of the hyperpigmentation on my face, so if you guys have any tips on that I would appreciate it. It's been a while since I been on here and would love to read for you all.

I'm trying to be as minimalist but also as effective as possible as I've seen many times said in here (less is more). I just want to be able to shave my head without any issues of bumps in the back. I've tried bump stopper and not much of any results.

What are good aftershave soaps? I saw some sandlewood one on Amazon and Jack Black among others, but really wanna know what's helped the real sensitive skin folk?

Hi Nomad116,

They guys here have give some great advice so here's my 2 cents.

I have a couple of friends who head shave and we worked out what seems to be a 1/2 decent system.

Tool kit:
400 ml Nivea cream
41rKUUQWSgL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Omega 10049 or 10104 brush.
OMEGA 49 Professional Pure Bristle Shaving Brush
OMEGA 10104 Professional Pure Bristle Shaving Brush

I personally prefer the 10104 as it face lathers great and is quite good at giving a mild yet exfoliating scrub.

The Gillette New Short Comb (NSC) for short is a razor I would happily recommend to almost anyone. It's mild yet very effective, doesn't clog easily and clamps the blade better than an am alligator lol.
The stock handle isn't the best but tiu can easily find a cheap $10 replacement from Webber via the bay.

For soaps get the slickest soaps like Proraso green/white, Arko, Williams Mug soap. If you don't mind the price Cella and Tabac are also super soaps.
Shaving Soaps

Blades are perhaps the most YMMV of all the items. I love feathers and Nacets but they aren't the smoothest but I've heard that GSBs are great but my sharpest & smoothest blade is the BIC.

The shace:
After a head and face wash apply a thin layer of Nivea cream to any area you want to shave, it really helps hydrate and gives the area a great cushion to start with.

They then head lather or chin lather next, the process of head/face lathering really helps in preparing the area for shaving.

Then it's just a matter shaving carefully.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

SOTD
Head and face.

Timeless Ti. 95 OC
Simpson's Chubby 2 Super
Astra SP x1
Captain's Choice HD Copper Bowl.
20190521_115609.jpg
20190521_133354.jpg

A&E NYC soap and AS Balm

2 pass on head no pickups needed, no Nick's, cuts or weepers. With same kit almost as good as using PannaCrema Nuavia Blu.
Postshave is slightly better with the PannaCrema Nuavia Blu.

Top Bottom