What's new

Hawk V3 choices

Looking at the Italian Barber site, I see the stainless steel Hawk V3. It has standard, then Open Comb, which is more aggressive, and finally Hawk A, which is the most aggressive.

I really like my aluminum Blackhawk. I use Feather Professional. I like the idea of an open comb, just because I like open combs.

But if I already find my alum Blackhawk to be plenty sharp and efficient, I wonder how an Open Comb would compare?

Thoughts appreciated.

I have the V2 aluminum Hawk (blue) with the standard plate and the V3 SS Hawk with the standard and OC plates. The SS Hawk with the standard plate is more aggressive than the aluminium and the OC is much more aggressive. The A plate is apparently even more aggressive but I have no experience with it.

I find the OC Hawk v3 OC plate to be in the same aggressiveness realm as a Karve E-F plate and the Aluminum Hawk in the Karve C range, Rockwell Plate 4 range or Game Changer 0.68 plate if that gives you any reference at all… BIG difference between the SS Hawk v3 with the OC plate and the V2 aluminum.

I like my razors that use AC blades to be mild because those blades can bite hard (I have a scar to prove it). Personally, I’d go for the mildest version! An OC with a Feather Pro would scare me.

I like my razors that use AC blades to be mild because those blades can bite hard (I have a scar to prove it). Personally, I’d go for the mildest version! An OC with a Feather Pro would scare me.
It is an acquired taste for sure. I have to use almost zero pressure. Less than any other razor I have used. The Hawk OC can bit hard. I like aggressive razors but have no interest in their more aggressive A plate. 😱

I have both the aluminum V2 Hawk and the SS V3 Hawk with the A plate. The SS Hawk with the A plate is definitely more efficient than the V2 Hawk but it is still an easy to use and comfortable smooth razor. I have tried several different types of AC blades and they all have worked well with the Schick Proline performing the best for me so far in the V3. In the V2 Hawk I prefer the Feather Professional Super AC blades. I have not tried the V3 OC but I have read some reviews on B & B that say it is actually more aggressive than the A plate because of the way the OC teeth are designed. As always YMMV.

I'm glad I asked, thanks for that.

I have a Karve open comb with a D plate and it's as aggressive as I want. I like it, but am pretty sure I would not go up to E or F.

So I think I'm not getting an open comb Hawk then. I'll get the Standard instead.

I have all 3 versions of the stainless Hawk V3. The A is definitely my favorite. It is just slightly more aggressive than the standard base plate. It shaves very well with the best feel to it. The only blade on hand is the Schick Proline. I tried to like the OC, but I just cannot. It feels the roughest and most aggressive of the three to me. It might be the spacing of the teeth, but even when I slow way down, it still bites me regularly. The standard is not bad either, but doesn't get much use here.

I have the standard plate and love it. Can anyone comment on the difference in blade feel between the standard and A plates?

I have the standard plate and love it. Can anyone comment on the difference in blade feel between the standard and A plates?
I didn't notice much of any difference in feel between the standard and the A plate. The A plate is just slightly more efficient.

The OC plate is a different story and feels like the most aggressive to me.

I have the standard plate, and I used to have the OC plate. Like @dalecooper51 I found the teeth on the OC plate uncomfortably rough, perhaps due to the wide spacing. My other AC razor, the Enoch from Classic Shaving, is a bit more efficient. I'd like to boost the efficiency on my Hawk V3, and I'm considering two options: pick up the A plate or buy some Feather Pro Super blades. In my Enoch and in a Mongoose that I used to own I found the Pro Super blades to be uncomfortably harsh. Unfortunately I gave those blades away. My hunch is that I'll be happier with the A plate than with the Pro Super's. Has anyone tried those blades in the Hawk?

I have the standard plate, and I used to have the OC plate. Like @dalecooper51 I found the teeth on the OC plate uncomfortably rough, perhaps due to the wide spacing. My other AC razor, the Enoch from Classic Shaving, is a bit more efficient. I'd like to boost the efficiency on my Hawk V3, and I'm considering two options: pick up the A plate or buy some Feather Pro Super blades. In my Enoch and in a Mongoose that I used to own I found the Pro Super blades to be uncomfortably harsh. Unfortunately I gave those blades away. My hunch is that I'll be happier with the A plate than with the Pro Super's. Has anyone tried those blades in the Hawk?

Hi Steve, I just recently got the Hawk V3 with A plate. It is my first AC SE, and I tried the Feather Super Pro yesterday with two days growth. Not a problem!, a
little rough on first pass but after that quite smooth and a good shave with no nicks, cuts or irritation.

Hi Steve, I just recently got the Hawk V3 with A plate. It is my first AC SE, and I tried the Feather Super Pro yesterday with two days growth. Not a problem!, a
little rough on first pass but after that quite smooth and a good shave with no nicks, cuts or irritation.
I received a pack of Feather Pro Super blades yesterday. The first shave was a quickie bonus shave with the Hawk last night, even though I had shaved in the morning. This morning I again used the Super in the Hawk for a more methodical two pass shave. The shave was smooth with only slightly more blade feel than with the Schick Proline blade. The results were outstanding! It's right up there in comfort and efficiency with my Blackland Dart double edge. One day I hope to compare it to the Blackland Vector.

Top Bottom