What's new

Having trouble looking for a straight razor.

One of the problems here is that most of the posters are trying to be sure that you get a quality razor that is truly honed to a shave ready condition. If no one here has had direct experience with the suppliers that you are finding, they are hesitant to say anything about them. The words "shave ready" in an add carry very little weight to most of us here unless we know the dealer in question.

There are many people here who may be willing to help you if you end up with a razor that is not shave ready. The trouble is, you or your BF will need to be coached before being able to make that judgment. The easy way for us, is to recommend dealers who we know supply truly "shave ready" razors.

I can see that you like the looks of square point razors. They are my favorites too. While there is no beginners straight, most of us would not recommend a square point for a first razor. Many seasoned shavers nick themselves with square points. I would recommend lowering your sights a bit and settling for a quality round point. If your BF likes straights, it won't be his only razor. "Perfection is the enemy of the good".

Last edited:
One of the problems here is that most of the posters are trying to be sure that you get a quality razor that is truly honed to a shave ready condition. If no one here has had direct experience with the suppliers that you are finding, they are hesitant to say anything about them. The words "shave ready" in an add carry very little weight to most of us here unless we know the dealer in question.

There are many people here who may be willing to help you if you end up with a razor that is not shave ready. The trouble is, you or your BF will need to be coached before being able to make that judgment. The easy way for us, is to recommend dealers who we know supply truly "shave ready" razors.

I can see that you like the looks of square point razors. They are my favorites too. While there is no beginners straight, most of us would not recommend a square point for a first razor. Many seasoned shavers nick themselves with square points. I would recommend lowering your sights a bit and settling for a quality round point. If your BF likes straights, it won't be his only razor. "Perfection is the enemy of the good".

Well said. And who wants to receive a gift like a straight and then have to send it off for a couple of weeks to get honed? Definitely go shave-ready. I would also second the notion that the square point might not be the one to start with. It's challenge enough to get the basic techniques down without having to worry about gouging oneself with the point.

I can share in the OP's frustration as my wife was going to buy me my first, and she got so frustrated with the options...5/8, 6/8, half-hollow or full hollow, round or spanish point, what kind of scales etc. I will also second the recommendation to get one of the recommended vendors on the phone and let them take care of the guesswork. They are recommended for a reason and they know that anything less than an exceptional experience will run through this board faster than lightning.

+1 What he said.

Last edited:
I've already weighed in on my thoughts about maybe starting off with a DE, and I'm not one to promote "the bay", but... http://www.ebay.com/usr/senorsteve154?_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2754

This guy sells some vintage straights and he hones them himself so they come shave ready. In addition, you get a free hone the first time it dulls, and I believe the rest after that are at $15/ea and the turnaround time is three days (so you don't have to go weeks without your razor). He is very easy to communicate with and will help you with whatever you need. And his prices will likely afford you the option of going DE as well. I sincerely hope you can find what you're looking for. Seems like a lot of the gents on this site are very helpful and have a wealth of knowledge.

I've already weighed in on my thoughts about maybe starting off with a DE, and I'm not one to promote "the bay", but... http://www.ebay.com/usr/senorsteve154?_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2754

This guy sells some vintage straights and he hones them himself so they come shave ready. In addition, you get a free hone the first time it dulls, and I believe the rest after that are at $15/ea and the turnaround time is three days (so you don't have to go weeks without your razor). He is very easy to communicate with and will help you with whatever you need. And his prices will likely afford you the option of going DE as well. I sincerely hope you can find what you're looking for. Seems like a lot of the gents on this site are very helpful and have a wealth of knowledge.

I do understand about the easing into the process, so I want to get both just so that he has whichever liberty he feels to take. But I just want to look for the straight first. I have to find suggesetions for a DE now too is all. I just started with what was in front of me. :)

I do understand about the easing into the process, so I want to get both just so that he has whichever liberty he feels to take. But I just want to look for the straight first. I have to find suggesetions for a DE now too is all. I just started with what was in front of me. :)

Absolutely, I agree... Check out senorsteve154 over on the bay and see if any of his vintage straights catch your attention.

I know some people have recommended The Whipped Dog - he's pretty good. Aside from him you can try Royal Shave (they have some really great pomades and other male hair care products too through their sister site, if he's into that sort of thing). And I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but The Art of Shaving is another resource available. Hope this helps.

Absolutely +1.

I actually was thinking a bit about what makes an ideal straight razor for beginner. You may want a wide tang with jimps. Scales should balance well. I would prefer a slightly heavy razor, because it gives a more satisfying feel when cutting whiskers, and makes the shaver more aware of it, thus reducing a chance of making a mistake. I think heavy blade makes it easier to naturally use less pressure and let the blade do the job. It should be soft carbon steel that is easy to hone for a beginner, yet something that holds a good edge.

All i can say is that he one lucky guy!
You actually took the pain of joining a forum to get him the best gift you could.. Thats a wonderful gesture!
Cheers!

Yes indeed! Please do not leave us with unanswered curiosity. Let us know what you choose.
I have decided to contact Jim with Vintage Blades and he has been most gracious in helping me put together a kit. I went with the Dovo Ebony Spike Point straight razor with the upgraded strop and all the accessories as well as Merkur "Heavy Classic" 34C DE.
Everyone has been so awesome! I know we will both becoming back for more information...after the 14th ;)
I tend to have a habit of collecting expensive hobbies, and I think I would love to learn the history and restoration process of these beautiful pieces.
Thank you everyone! I hope to share photos when they arrive!

I'd also recommend getting a poor man's strop kit from whipped dog, in addition to what you've sourced. He'll tear up his first strop. It shouldn't be a pricy one, in my opinion.

I'd also recommend getting a poor man's strop kit from whipped dog, in addition to what you've sourced. He'll tear up his first strop. It shouldn't be a pricy one, in my opinion.

i agree with getting a cheap strop to begin with. the one i have already has a number of nicks on it.

post pictures of the items you bought when you get them!!

I have decided to contact Jim with Vintage Blades and he has been most gracious in helping me put together a kit. I went with the Dovo Ebony Spike Point straight razor with the upgraded strop and all the accessories as well as Merkur "Heavy Classic" 34C DE.
Everyone has been so awesome! I know we will both becoming back for more information...after the 14th ;)
I tend to have a habit of collecting expensive hobbies, and I think I would love to learn the history and restoration process of these beautiful pieces.

I think you have made a good choice! Remind your man to do a bit of reading here before he takes steel to face the first time. Technique is important. Back in the day this sort of skill was passed father to son, but since it nearly disappeared and is now going through a renaissance, Badger and Blade is an excellent source of knowledge for the new straight shaver.

I can't speak for the straight razors, but Ive dealt with Jim before and its standup service and great stuff all around. His brand of brushes are top notch.
Good choice!

Top Bottom