What's new

Having trouble finding the right aftershave

I've been having quite a time finding the right after shave. I am looking for an aftershave that matches or does not interfere with my shave soap (no smell). I cannot see the find it. I have tried witch hazel, but it does not work for me. I still feel irritation and my skin feels tight and painful afterwards.

I also tried rubbing alcohol, but that also does not do well for my skin. I cannot seem to find an (SD40?) alcohol based aftershave that's unscented.

Anyone have any ideas /suggestions? Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've been having quite a time finding the right after shave. I am looking for an aftershave that matches or does not interfere with my shave soap (no smell). I cannot see the find it. I have tried witch hazel, but it does not work for me. I still feel irritation and my skin feels tight and painful afterwards.

I also tried rubbing alcohol, but that also does not do well for my skin. I cannot seem to find an (SD40?) alcohol based aftershave that's unscented.

Anyone have any ideas /suggestions? Thanks.

The SD40 vs rubbing alcohol isn't your problem exactly. The problem is that there's nothing to soothe your skin in rubbing alcohol or witch hazel. You need an emollient.

Try this: Find a 3 ounce bottle and a bottle of liquid glycerin (available in the beauty department of any decent big box store.) Add 2 ounces of rubbing alcohol and 1 ounce witch hazel, then 1 tsp glycerin. See if that does the trick for you.

The SD40 vs rubbing alcohol isn't your problem exactly. The problem is that there's nothing to soothe your skin in rubbing alcohol or witch hazel. You need an emollient.

Try this: Find a 3 ounce bottle and a bottle of liquid glycerin (available in the beauty department of any decent big box store.) Add 2 ounces of rubbing alcohol and 1 ounce witch hazel, then 1 tsp glycerin. See if that does the trick for you.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Lucky Tiger Aftershave and Face Tonic - light orange scent that fades very quickly. Nice skin protection, pH balanced, Aloe Vera, Calendula and Chamomile. Fairly cheap and easily accessible.

Sorry, I didn't mention that ... I have Lucky tiger. It doesn't bother my skin, but it doesn't really help like I need. Still have the burn a few minutes after.

Funny because I was just telling someone else to try LT a few days after I got it, when they asked about sensitive. Now I realize that it isn't the perfect answer (for me).

Look at wet shave products the have unscented splash
That's what I've been looking for... An unscented, alcohol and glycol splash. Nothing thick that's going to hang around and irritate. I cannot seem to find this.

I could use something like skin bracer, which seems to work the best for me, but I don't care for the smell. It also makes all of these nice soaps I bought useless after 10 minutes of shaving. The SB completely covers them. [emoji3525]

What about a facial astringent... Looking very quickly on Amazon, they seem to have similar contents. Maybe if I can visit a drug store and find an unscented one?

Some seem to use alcohol denat... I presume that's similar to SD .. a denatured alcohol product? I don't know. Hmm.

What about this...

Ingredients

Denatured Alcohol, Witch Hazel, Aloe, Glycerin, Hydrovance

Seems to be on the money. Anyone use their AS splashes? They good?

Thanks.
proxy.php

You mention Skin Bracer works for you except for the scent. Maybe a mentholated a/s is for you. The aforementioned Stirling Witch and Aloe splash comes in an unscented mentholated version.

Lucky Tiger Aftershave and Face Tonic - light orange scent that fades very quickly. Nice skin protection, pH balanced, Aloe Vera, Calendula and Chamomile. Fairly cheap and easily accessible.

+1!! Lucky Tiger was my first thought also.

You could also consider Speick, another soothing option with a fleeting scent.

You mention Skin Bracer works for you except for the scent. Maybe a mentholated a/s is for you. The aforementioned Stirling Witch and Aloe splash comes in an unscented mentholated version.
I might have to try that. Any idea if it's a light menthol or a heavy?

Thanks.

Another thought that is a complete 360... But I get these crazy ideas sometimes. Lol.

After I'm done shaving, add a few drops of alcohol (if I can find some sort of SD alcohol... maybe just vodka?) and some water to the shave bowl. Stir it with the brush and apply as an aftershave balm. Wash it off a few second later, after I set the bowl to rinse?

It would always be the same scent... It is something that has oils and moisturizers in it. The alcohol would sting and provide the feeling my skin likes.

Hmm... Anyone try this before? Is there flaws to this? Does it destroy a brush?

The Stirling is the kind of splash you want, but then it just becomes a money question. It's $13 for 100ml, plus shipping, while you already have the alcohol and witch hazel, and the glycerin comes in a 6oz bottle for about four bucks and will last you the rest of your life. It's the glycerin that gives the great face feel in Aqua Velva. I add some to all of my splashes, even the ones that use glycol, because I don't find the glycol as effective.

Unscented aftershave...I would be so depressed!

Yeah, but when you wear a fragrance, you don't necessarily want a scented aftershave. You don't always know how the scents will interact. Some scents layer nicely with some fragrances, but (for example) I wouldn't want to use Old Spice aftershave if I wanted to wear the Eternity edt that my wife likes. They clash. So then you end up doing a bunch of work to figure out which aftershaves you can use with which fragrances, and you find that some aftershaves don't work with any fragrance you own, and it just gets to be a lot of hassle.

Top Bottom