What's new

Having trouble finding the right aftershave

M

Member 113878

@mrdoug , I’m surprised you insist so much on alcohol for an aftershave.
If I was prone to the skin irritation you seem to suffer, alcohol would be the least ingredient I’d want to put on my face.
Ymmv, of course.

Yeah, me too... I tried just witch hazel. It really doesn't work. My skin still feels horrible and painful.

Only when I get the alcohol burn, and probably that glycerin hydration noted above (?), That it works.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
That's what I've been looking for... An unscented, alcohol and glycol splash. Nothing thick that's going to hang around and irritate. I cannot seem to find this.

I could use something like skin bracer, which seems to work the best for me, but I don't care for the smell. It also makes all of these nice soaps I bought useless after 10 minutes of shaving. The SB completely covers them. [emoji3525]

specifically wet shave products wsp
Aftershave Tonic Splash 100ml (Unscented for Sensitive Skin)

Maybe a wee off, but there's always

20181013_155251.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
What about a facial astringent... Looking very quickly on Amazon, they seem to have similar contents. Maybe if I can visit a drug store and find an unscented one?

Some seem to use alcohol denat... I presume that's similar to SD .. a denatured alcohol product? I don't know. Hmm.

Many unscented astringents and even unscented aftershaves, still will have a scent. Maybe not a sweet aftershave scent, but definitely a medicinal scent.

While many different flavors, of Thayers brand of Witch Hazels doesn't have alcohol like their Rose, Lemon and other scents, they also have a Thayers unscented "Aftershave" that has both alcohol and witch hazel. Since either or doesn't work for you alone, maybe the combination of the two, witch hazel and alcohol is the answer. It also has other soothing ingredients like camphor, aloe vera and grapefruit seed extract. And then you can even add a few drops of your own vegetable glycerin if you want to give it a little extra soothing power.

It will still smell medicinal, but all unscented ones do.

http://www.jackscountrystore.co/images/products/detail/ThayersWitchHazelAfterShave.jpg

Yeah, but when you wear a fragrance, you don't necessarily want a scented aftershave. You don't always know how the scents will interact. Some scents layer nicely with some fragrances, but (for example) I wouldn't want to use Old Spice aftershave if I wanted to wear the Eternity edt that my wife likes. They clash. So then you end up doing a bunch of work to figure out which aftershaves you can use with which fragrances, and you find that some aftershaves don't work with any fragrance you own, and it just gets to be a lot of hassle.
That's an excellent point, I must have missed it entirely above. I have had that issue as well. My solution is to wear mennen's Afta fresh scented lotion. It has a very mild unobtrusive smell that a cologne can blend with well before it fades completely. I like it and it's less than $2.00

For unscented, I like Chiseled Face Natural.

Here’s the ingredients list:
Alcohol, Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera Juice, Calendula, Sodium Lactate, Menthol, Vitamin B5 Pro, Astaxanthin

Stop using so much pressure when shaving. It seems to me your problem may be the shave not the aftershave.

The SD40 vs rubbing alcohol isn't your problem exactly. The problem is that there's nothing to soothe your skin in rubbing alcohol or witch hazel. You need an emollient.

Try this: Find a 3 ounce bottle and a bottle of liquid glycerin (available in the beauty department of any decent big box store.) Add 2 ounces of rubbing alcohol and 1 ounce witch hazel, then 1 tsp glycerin. See if that does the trick for you.
Thank you for the suggestion. I picked up some glycerin, mixed it with rubbing alcohol and water. I've now used it three times, including once mixed with some of the remaining shaving cream. Seems to work pretty well, and my skin is not nearly as angry. On top of that, it's dirt cheap and I can still smell the wonderful shave soap I spent so much money for.

I think the remainder of this agitation will go away when I perfect my shaving (and also stop trying you razors, LOL).

Thanks!

Thank you for the suggestion. I picked up some glycerin, mixed it with rubbing alcohol and water. I've now used it three times, including once mixed with some of the remaining shaving cream. Seems to work pretty well, and my skin is not nearly as angry. On top of that, it's dirt cheap and I can still smell the wonderful shave soap I spent so much money for.

I think the remainder of this agitation will go away when I perfect my shaving (and also stop trying you razors, LOL).

Thanks!

I'm glad this worked out for you. It's what I use when I want to use a splash without any scent. I keep a bottle always out. Its nice to my face and doesn't clash with anything. You can always add a little more glycerin for additional soothing, not too much or it might make your face sticky. If that happens just dilute with a bit more alcohol.

This is good stuff. I used it today. It's been in my cabinet for years and I hardly ever use it. Today's shave was with a Progress and fresh Feather. Didn't feel anything while shaving but had some burn afterwards. Used this Proraso and it quickly cooled down my skin and left it feeling nice and smooth.

Top Bottom