What's new

Having trouble dating my Gillette razor

Ok I can see on the chart my Gillette New Improved razor dates from 1921 -1929.
Can this be narrowed down by the serial # which is 109659?

I'm not really sure which model it is but heres a couple photos and I think it has a chrome finish
IMG_1950.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 4

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Assuming sales numbers didn't change drastically (which may or may not be a safe assumption) a mid range number would put you mid point of course. Lower or higher than mid rage increases or decreases accordingly.
Some of the Gillettes can be pinpointed to very narrow bands, others are a wild guess sometime in the advertised date range.
I don't know if that particular razor had date defining qualities or not, but if it did, there's likely to be one of the guys who know along shortly.
Gillette did a lot of weird stuff, mixing handles and heads and using up old stock on new razors, so sometimes you are just in a position of never knowing for certain.

Yes. There is a chart on the shaving forums (or find it by Googling) that list the year of the older Gillette's by the serial number.

My Gillette Old Type dates by the serial number to be 1917. My Gillette New Improved dates by the serial number to be 1921.

Your razor is a NEW Deluxe, which is an awesome razor, BTW. The NEW Deluxe razor was made with serial #s only in 1930-31, so the fact that your razor has a serial # means it is from one of those two years. I'm not sure if it can be pinned down to one specific year based on the actual number, but someone more knowledgeable might be able to weigh in on that.

Your razor is a NEW Deluxe, which is an awesome razor, BTW. The NEW Deluxe razor was made with serial #s only in 1930-31, so the fact that your razor has a serial # means it is from one of those two years. I'm not sure if it can be pinned down to one specific year based on the actual number, but someone more knowledgeable might be able to weigh in on that.
That’s close enough. Thanks. Your right is an awesome razor. I’ve tried a lot of old Gillettes and a few newer double edge razors and this one beats them once you get used to a lighter stroke

Looks like it might be a 15 mm New Deluxe, but it's hard to tell completely with those pictures.

Gillette made the New Deluxe with two different baseplates, one of which was 15 mm wide; the other was 17 mm wide. I believe, but don't know for sure, that the 17 mm variety was made in larger numbers, just based on the fact that most New Deluxes I see on the forum are 17 mm models.

In any case, they are both great shavers.

Top Bottom