What's new

Having Slant & Progress Issues

On the Slant, 2 things to watch out for: blade alignment and proper angle to face. On blade alignment, read this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21077

Also, note that the top is flat, with two flat sloping sides. The side should be flat to your face to get the proper angle on the blade.

Although blade angle is an important factor in general, I believe this concept does not apply to the Slant. The blade angle varies along the blade edge. Therefore, there is no way one can maintain a "correct" angle. A correct angle might be achieved for a couple of millimeters of edge, but the rest will have angles that are either too shallow or too steep. Best - MM

My Progress (well, Mer-gress) is my go-to DE razor. It goes on any and all trips with me. It gives me shaves nearly as good as my Gillette Slim, and is easier to clean.

I'll differ a bit on the blade angle question regarding the Slant. It's quite possible to have a wrong (too steep) angle with the Slant, and get a cut. Keep the blade close to parallel with the skin being shaved: a very shallow angle between blade's edge and skin.

Although blade angle is an important factor in general, I believe this concept does not apply to the Slant. The blade angle varies along the blade edge. Therefore, there is no way one can maintain a "correct" angle. A correct angle might be achieved for a couple of millimeters of edge, but the rest will have angles that are either too shallow or too steep. Best - MM
Sorry. Look very closely at your Slant, using magnification if needed. Look at it from the ends. The angle which the blade makes wrt the sloping side of the top plate is the same on both ends. That's why if you keep that sloped side essentially flat to your face, the angle is correct, and correct all the way along the edge.

F

firebox

A slant is a great shaver. I got several. One had a small deflection under the head due to plating. It created a bump in the blade. The razor was replaced and the slant saga of great shaves continues. Check the edge for manufacturing flaws.

I'll differ a bit on the blade angle question regarding the Slant. It's quite possible to have a wrong (too steep) angle with the Slant, and get a cut. Keep the blade close to parallel with the skin being shaved: a very shallow angle between blade's edge and skin.

Perhaps, I should have said the aspect of "correct blade angle" takes on another dimension with the Slant :smile:

There is no denying that one can easily get cut with a Slant, probably more so than with a "normal" razor. I think it's because, while some portions of the blade are at a correct angle, others are at a much more aggressive angle (and again others are at such a shallow angle that they may not do anything). In any case, the Slant geometry requires utmost attention. I find that the varying blade angles can be used to one's advantage by using certain portion of the blade for certain tasks, depending on the territory to be shaved.

Best - MM

Sorry. Look very closely at your Slant, using magnification if needed. Look at it from the ends. The angle which the blade makes wrt the sloping side of the top plate is the same on both ends. That's why if you keep that sloped side essentially flat to your face, the angle is correct, and correct all the way along the edge.

Regarding the geometry of the Slant and its varying blade angle, check out: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18255&highlight=slant+geometry

Best - MM

Regarding the geometry of the Slant and its varying blade angle, check out: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18255&highlight=slant+geometry
Best - MM
That's a very nicely done article. However, it doesn't contradict what I said. The top plate and the blade are in intimate contact. Consequently, the angle the blade makes with respect to the angle of the sloping part of the top plate is uniform all along the blade edge.

Now, I'll grant you that the exposure of the blade (distance from the edge to the guard bar) increases from left to right. But the angle (referenced to the top plate) remains the same.

That's a very nicely done article. However, it doesn't contradict what I said. The top plate and the blade are in intimate contact. Consequently, the angle the blade makes with respect to the angle of the sloping part of the top plate is uniform all along the blade edge.

Now, I'll grant you that the exposure of the blade (distance from the edge to the guard bar) increases from left to right. But the angle (referenced to the top plate) remains the same.

I don't have any objection to the above quoted statement. The objectionable statement is this:

That's why if you keep that sloped side essentially flat to your face, the angle is correct, and correct all the way along the edge.

On a Slant, no matter how you set it against the skin, the angle between the blade and the face is not uniform along the edge, as shown in the diagrams. So, while there may be a portion of the edge that has a "correct" angle with respect to the skin, others don't.

I occasionally get nicks when using my Slant. They are invariably on the left side of the center when looking at my face in the mirror. That is the side with the steeper angle between blade and skin. On that side, the blade occasionally scrapes along the skin. I hardly ever get nicks on the other side where the angle is much shallower.

Best - MM

Top Bottom