What's new

Having Slant & Progress Issues

I can get great shaves with the Futur, the Aristocrat, the Fat Boy, with just about any blade made and any soap / cream I own and the LH Classic with a Feather.

Yet with the Slant or the Progress, except for a couple of times I'll call flukes, I just can not get a comfortable shave. I know the Slant is an agressive razor, but I can't get close to BBS without some hurtin'. The Progress "zeros" at 2 with a blade in and I've tried everything from 2-1/2 - 4 with no luck. Just this afternoon, I tried the Progress with a day 2 Derby and 3 passes, N-S, S-N and ATG. Still stubble everywhere. Took out the Aristocrat (sporting a day 3 Derby), relathered and I could hear it slicing hair.

I've tried everything I can think of, I've watched videos, I've read Blogs, I've searched through B&B, but to no luck. In both razors, I've used Feathers, Derbys, Merkurs, Red IPs, Nacet, 2 types of Gillettes (I think that's all I own except for Wilkinson Sword) but to no avail.

I have 4 razors I love to use (with the LH Classic as my "Travel Kit") so I should be thrilled. The way I see it, I can hide these 2 problem children away for a while and come back to them in a few months or a year, or I can just bite the bullet and trade 'em away. I love the way the Slant feels in my hand and the grip on the handle, but it just ain't worth the frustration of not being able to shave with the bloody thing.

So, advice please. My vote to start this is to get rid of 'em. What say ye B&B friends??

Two issues you may want to address-

First- blades in one razor do not necessarily work in another-

Second- the same may be true for the soap/cream you are using.

I use a Vision and a Slant- and notice the difference with blade/cream combinations- but this may be only for my sensitive skin.....

One question about your Progress zeroing on "2". Does the notch on the side of the razors head line up with the triangle on the blade bed? If these are not lined up vertically then the adjustment mechanism won't work.

Just a thought.

One question about your Progress zeroing on "2". Does the notch on the side of the razors head line up with the triangle on the blade bed? If these are not lined up vertically then the adjustment mechanism won't work.

Just a thought.

Not true. The triangle and the line are just there so the razor should read zero when tighten all the way down (some don't anyway). The blade sits on a spring loaded platform that raises the blade when the knob is loosened. I works no matter which way the cap is put on.
Bob.

Not true. The triangle and the line are just there so the razor should read zero when tighten all the way down (some don't anyway). The blade sits on a spring loaded platform that raises the blade when the knob is loosened. I works no matter which way the cap is put on.
Bob.

Bob,

You are correct, what I wrote is not exactly what I meant. The adjustment mech will still work but the adjustment gauge will not be accurate.

By the way, I grew up in Carmichael.

Bob,

You are correct, what I wrote is not exactly what I meant. The adjustment mech will still work but the adjustment gauge will not be accurate.

By the way, I grew up in Carmichael.

No problem. The fault with the Progress not reading zero when snugged down with a blade in it is that the number ring is a separate piece and either isn't installed correctly or it moves after leaving Merkur. The fix is to cut a strip of masking tape wide enough to cover the number ring (several layer thick) then grip the ring firmly with a pair of pliers and the knob with a wrench then turn it to the proper position.
Bob

I too struggle with the Progress to get a decent shave. I've been working at it for a year, but I just can't like this razor no matter which shaving creams and blades I use. On the other hand, from the moment I took my 38C out of the box I've liked it; great BBS shave every time. I haven't tried a slant yet, but it's next on my list

Last night after reading a thread about someone who used Proraso Pre BEFORE getting a shower and letting it soak I tried it. I also added a few drops of olive oil to it before rubbing it on my face.

To cut to the chase, after I rinsed off the Proraso / olive oil mixture, I loaded a fresh Derby Extra into the Slant and used ltlSue's Pathouli soap.

Wonderful shave. Not BBS as I did not yet go ATG with the Slant, but very comfortable and acceptable with no burn whatsoever.

As for the Progress, I read a post here about how many times the blade will be off center. I tightened it all the way down (#2) and checked it out. One side I couldn't feel the edge, and the other side, I could have shaved with it, it was so far open.

As my daughter's fiancee would say:

"'Ssssuuup wit dat"??

You know, razors don't necessarily have to work for everyone. I had a slant and just couldn't get a shave that matched what I can get with a few of my other favorites. Irritation or resulting shave was never a problem, it's just that it took more work to get there. So I sold it. There's no reason to keep using something that just doesn't work well for you.

You know, razors don't necessarily have to work for everyone. I had a slant and just couldn't get a shave that matched what I can get with a few of my other favorites. Irritation or resulting shave was never a problem, it's just that it took more work to get there. So I sold it. There's no reason to keep using something that just doesn't work well for you.

I totally agree with you John. But that being said, so many people get a great shave from the Slant, it's worth a retry, and again if necessary. I still consider myself a Noob to this, so I won't mark anything off easily.

You could try talking directly with Merkur.

Thanks, I'll try that.

I just traded a really nice Gillette toggle and a Fat Boy is going out to a forum member tomorrow pending payment . As popular as they are with many of those who post on the forums I find I do not care for the shave I get from Gillette adjustables. Perhaps I didn't give them enough of a chance and could have learned to like them . OTOH, I have many other razors to shave with that I do like with the Slant being foremost among them. As with all things in wet shaving, YMMV.

No such chance. I bought it "new and unused" from another member here.
Maybe you could get that other member to talk to the dealer. If it's defective, the dealer is just going to replace it and ship the defective one back to Merkur for credit.

Come back to them in a few months after you have shaved for a while with your other razors. Sometimes, taking time off from a razor can produce amazing results the next time we pick it up.

Marty

Jim, don't feel bad, I can't get a decent shave from any type of Merkur, go figure.It's too bad because I bought one of Eric's redone progresses and I can't even use it!!.....Adam

I just traded a really nice Gillette toggle and a Fat Boy is going out to a forum member tomorrow pending payment . As popular as they are with many of those who post on the forums I find I do not care for the shave I get from Gillette adjustables. Perhaps I didn't give them enough of a chance and could have learned to like them . OTOH, I have many other razors to shave with that I do like with the Slant being foremost among them. As with all things in wet shaving, YMMV.

I have a '64 adjustable that I bought new. I learned early on to leave it set at 3. I get BBS shaves with it all the time with no irritiation.

Rick

Come back to them in a few months after you have shaved for a while with your other razors. Sometimes, taking time off from a razor can produce amazing results the next time we pick it up.

Marty

+1

I get irritation-free, BBS shaves everytime I use my Progress. I'm always looking to get extras I love it so much! You should put it away for a while and come back to it. I'm sure as your technique improves, you'll come back to it with different results.

Top Bottom