What's new

having scale problems, not really but have a look at these 3 ebay finds. 2 W&B 1 joseph rodgers

so ive been on a bit of a shopping spree lately (my wife will probably kill me when all the packages start rolling in). these 3 razors are the first of a bunch i have ordered.

first one is a wade and butcher 3/4 smiling wedge i got for $4 it has original horn scales but it seems somewhere in the old rustys journey he may have hit the floor and broke one side of the horn scales. they are in rough shape anyways but if possible i would like to save them. has anyone ever been succesful in glueing something like this?

2. second is a wade and buthcer celebrated hollow ground the scales on this one seem to be pressed horn? or if it is celluloid is this what cell rot looks like? (see 3rd photo)

3. third razor is an joseph rodgers and sons wedge with bone scales loved the look of this old guy and ive never seen a rodgers with the markings on the scales like this. at the end of the scales there is a small crack seems maybe someone squeezed the scales shut at some poin and it has a piece splintering off the one side. ( again is there some way to put an adhesive on this to stop of from cracking further? or should i just leave it and be gentle on the old scales

Attachments

• IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    524.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    696 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    415.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
Just a heads up when buying these sweet old razors, that heavy rust at or near the edge will make them beyond repair for shaving. The Joe Rogers wedge will be the best shaver and will likely need a re-scale. Be sure to post up the others when you get them.

I took the rust off the w&b wedge and it is heavily pitted on the front point near the barbers notch but the edge was surprisingly not to bad . I glued the cracked scale back together with weld bond and I'm hoping to re pin and hone it up later this week. It's ugly but I think it will be a fine shaver. I kinda like how ugly it is kinda like a rat rod.

Yes I all ways stay away from rust near the edge, if you look at it through a loop you will see holes in the edge and it takes a lot to hone out. sometimes never just a heads up.

Top Bottom