What's new

Haven't used the microwave in ages.

We practically never use it anymore. It's essentially an illuminated bread box, and seriously considering not replacing it if ever it dies.

Anyone else?

We had a large one, built in above pantry. It died about 11 years ago. We were going to replace it, at the time kids were little and we were short on money. There was an electrical outlet in the huge space so we made it a coffee bar. Still don’t have a microwave and don’t miss it. Our diet is probably better too:) no frozen meals!

M

member 119848

Here too, we´re not using it much... so if it dies I wouldn´t want to replace it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I use mine a lot. Mainly reheating my coffee or tea, boiling a cup of water for tea, blanching garlic, reheat a taco, burrito, tamale or left over spaghetti. I also use it to help a lime or lemon give up its juices better. About 11 or 12 seconds helps break down the cell walls for easier juicing. I also steam veggies using Tupperware with a hole in the top to release steam. It works great. It speeds up cooking time when stir-frying in the wok by first partially (still crunchy in the center) steaming the veggies...works great for a head start. I use the microwave to heat water to dissolve sugar for my hummingbirds feeders too.

There are lots of uses for a microwave.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Mine gets a fair bit of use. I cook large batches of soup, chilli, curry, pasta sauces, and stew, in my slow cooker, then portion them up and freeze them. The microwave probably gets used for reheating around half of those, plus reheating drinks occasionally too.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Years back we got rid of the big beast and bought the smallest one we could find. Dont use it much and frees up counter space

Many years ago in UK, we brought a really expensive, all-singing, all-dancing model that had hundreds of cook-modes, sensors to tell when the food was cooked, and in the end we just used it for frozen veg and jacket potatoes...

Now, we have a $99 version for occasional frozen veg, instant porridge and softening butter prior to applying it to toast. When it dies, we will replace with something similar.

I was quite surprised when the guy in the shop asked if we wanted to buy an extended warranty!!

We use ours heavily, multiple times per day. I make large amounts of my daily meal ingredients at one time, store them in bulk in my fridge, then portion out my meals each day from the bulk containers and reheat them.

A microwave is an absolute necessity in my house.

Mine's built in over the stove and the timer is easier to use so I do that. For cooking I use it for the frozen steam-in-bag vegetables, sweet potatoes, and reheating of leftovers, coffee, etc.

And for thawing, too. I forgot about that.

upload_2018-11-21_21-12-40.jpeg
proxy.php
proxy.php

Having gone back to conventional cooking more than a decade ago, these three purchases were pretty much what solidified the end on the microwave in our book.

We started liking to have hot water available so got a kettle, then discovered the individual coffee cones for quick cups...much better than reheated cold coffee. Then a gifted Whirley-pop to make delicious flavored popcorn sealed the deal.

Yup - until we bought a dedicated hot-air popper from a thrift store. Not the sort of appliance I'd pay full price for.
But before that we'd just dump 1/4 to 1/3 cup of bulk popping corn in a paper lunch bag, staple it shut, and nuke it with the standard "Popcorn" program button.
Yes, one or two metal staples on a paper bag is perfectly safe.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Yup - until we bought a dedicated hot-air popper from a thrift store. Not the sort of appliance I'd pay full price for.
But before that we'd just dump 1/4 to 1/3 cup of bulk popping corn in a paper lunch bag, staple it shut, and nuke it with the standard "Popcorn" program button.
Yes, one or two metal staples on a paper bag is perfectly safe.

Same here. I use a lunch bag and bulk corn. Real salt and real butter. No staples though. All the chemicals in the pre-packaged popcorn wreak havoc on my sinuses.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I thought we could live without one until we had to for a few weeks. We may not use it for much more than warming or reheating, but it is -the best- tool for that job, and we use it a lot. It's also marvelous for blanching (and saves a burner) or preparing flash frozen veggies. It'll also make a passable potato when we don't have time to properly bake one.

Top Bottom