What's new

Haven’t shaved in 2 years - what’s the new awesome soap?

Ask a leading question…by the time this thread is a couple days old, every soap known to man will be listed.
ouchyfoot's law? Similar to Godwin's law, I guess.

Maybe to make it even more similar you could re-state it as follows:

"The longer an open question thread on the Soap Forum goes, the more likely it is that every soap known to mankind will be mentioned."

Or, keep it as you made it. Either way, I think we should start referring to "ouchyfoot's law" whenever possible. :lol:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Seaforth. The new stuff not the actual 60's stuff, although I did transfer the new stuff into vintage Seaforth bottles and mug.
The Heather soap and aftershave is great IMHO.
Performance is really good on the soap, and the aftershave lasts forever.
May not be an option if you don't like a "grassy" type scent.
They do have the Spice scent as well, which I am told is similar to Old Spice. I have not tried it.

View attachment 1366662
Received these today and I can’t wait to use them tomorrow. Love the scent! And the glass bottle is a nice touch. The scent and bottle remind me of old timey shave stuff.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Received these today and I can’t wait to use them tomorrow. Love the scent! And the glass bottle is a nice touch. The scent and bottle remind me of old timey shave stuff.
It's a revival of a product by the same name from the 60's.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Well no wonder! Great idea by the vendor
This is what the 60's version looked like. I have these bottles and mug, and I transferred the stuff I bought into them! :lol1:

33ae0d846e5ae46e40024ed3e7849194.png

il_570xN.1529424194_mdr9.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Got the rest of my goodies! None of it smells terrible so that’s a win. IDK what to use next.
I enjoyed the Seaforth but I think it’s one of those soaps that requires a longer loading time on the brush. No big deal there

E433DEE7-A29D-4CCE-B081-B22B5FF8C528.jpeg

Bout to shave the beard. I haven’t shaved or bought any shave soap in 2 years. So what’s the new awesome soap? Or maybe just an oldie but still goodie I need to buy?

Soaps I’ve used or not interested in using:
Grooming Department
Paraso
Stirling
Captain’s Choice
Williams (modern & Vintage)
Old Spice
Probably some more I’ll remember later

So besides those above - what is the “you gotta try it” soap?
Mitchell’s Wool Fat mate is the go 👍

Well since you do not like stirling with its enourmous line up and outstanding shave quality i would say give arko and pinaud clubman vegetal a go….

If you are more of the classic not strong scented hard puck soap fan, MDC, SV, LPL, which are all outstandingly performing but for my nose to tame.
Fine recently changed its formula but if you find the old hard pucks get them they are nice.
Tabac is probably to old and strong.

Wsp, scheermonnik, super but strong. But as a dutchie I would recommend scheermonnik (and of course stirlings varen)

Speick is lovely…

Arianne and Evans Amber rose 🌹 is superb. And I still want some other soaps from them.

Paa is not pc, and strong though you can get an unscented pre shave cube which lifts most soaps.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well since you do not like stirling with its enourmous line up and outstanding shave quality i would say give arko and pinaud clubman vegetal a go….

If you are more of the classic not strong scented hard puck soap fan, MDC, SV, LPL, which are all outstandingly performing but for my nose to tame.
Fine recently changed its formula but if you find the old hard pucks get them they are nice.
Tabac is probably to old and strong.

Wsp, scheermonnik, super but strong. But as a dutchie I would recommend scheermonnik (and of course stirlings varen)

Speick is lovely…

Arianne and Evans Amber rose 🌹 is superb. And I still want some other soaps from them.

Paa is not pc, and strong though you can get an unscented pre shave cube which lifts most soaps.

Not that I don’t like Stirling, I just know how popular Stirling is so the majority of replies are going to recommend Stirling, hence I’ve already considered it. Case in point - even though I said to exclude Stirling there are still a few replies recommending it.

A lot has changed in the artisan soap world over the past two years. Competition has been fierce among the top artisans as they try to outdo one another.

These are the artisans I consider to be the very best.

Ariana and Evans, especially their Kaizen 2 and Kaizen 2e (with emu oil) soaps
Barrister and Mann Omnibus ( I have not tried it yet, but reviews look good)
Declaration Grooming Milksteak
Grooming Dept Kairos, Mallard, Lamb Tallow or Nai formulas
House of Mammoth Tusk formula
Oaken Lab V3
Wholly Kaw Siero
Zingari Man Sego

There are some other soaps that are nearly as good as these.

Not that I don’t like Stirling, I just know how popular Stirling is so the majority of replies are going to recommend Stirling, hence I’ve already considered it. Case in point - even though I said to exclude Stirling there are still a few replies recommending it.
I have several, but would not say I love all. Imho stirling excels in its mutton tallow base and mentholated soaps.

Scent wise a Arianne and evans Amber rose is a lot more complex.

The same applies to barrister and man’s creations or paa

But if you want more classic balanced top quality you get to mdc and sv. Which qualities I like but are to muted for me.

If you like cella Italian style also give the Vitos soaps a try, and there are more like tfs, extro.
For lots of Italian examples Barbiere di Figaro - https://barbieredifigaro.nl/

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Bout to shave the beard. I haven’t shaved or bought any shave soap in 2 years. So what’s the new awesome soap? Or maybe just an oldie but still goodie I need to buy?

Grooming Department
Paraso
Stirling
Captain’s Choice
Old Spice

Try Arko....

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
MIke’s is still making soap? I remember when I first got here everyone was talking bout it like crazy. Then I guess the “next big thing” came along. But I recall everyone saying it was really awesome soap. Then you couldn’t find it anymore. So IDK

Grooming Department
Paraso
Stirling
Captain’s Choice
Old Spice

I've been stuck on Pre de Provence for a long time now... Good thing I liked it though, because it's the longest lasting puck I've ever seen!

Grooming Department
Paraso
Stirling
Captain’s Choice
Old Spice

I've been stuck on pre de province for some years now. Good thing I liked it so much because I've never seen such a long lasting puck of soap! I checked my order history on Amazon real quick and the last 5.29 Oz tin lasted me about 3 and 1/2 years!

MIke’s is still making soap? I remember when I first got here everyone was talking bout it like crazy. Then I guess the “next big thing” came along. But I recall everyone saying it was really awesome soap. Then you couldn’t find it anymore. So IDK
Yes. His soaps are very good. /

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

Grooming Department
Paraso
Stirling
Captain’s Choice
Old Spice

Grandpa's Barbershop Shave Soap - https://centraltexassoaps.com/collections/shave-soap/products/grandpas-barbershop-shave-soap
I met the owner and walked away with samples, and was suitably impressed.

My regular soap was Arko. Cheap, and does the job. My favorite cream is Godrej Rich Lather, in the red tube. Also cheap, and excellent lather. I would also say I really like the Proraso Red cream but you say you tried it and don't like it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Oh I forgot about Cella. Very nice. Just don't dig into it with a boar or a black badger brush cause it is very soft. Very nice stuff but very very soft.

Top Bottom