What's new

Haven’t been here in a while.

Since I got the R41 and paired it with a Gillette silver blue, I haven’t done much searching for equipment. Now though I’m looking to try something maybe with more blade exposure than the r41. I understand I should be looking for a pre 2013 r41? Anything else to consider?

Any of the single edge razors.

proxy.php

There's always disposable barber straight blade safety razors. Either of those two options (SE or these) will give you "more blade" to experience.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I’ve never heard of disposable barber razors. I’ll look into the options. Never used a straight. Might be more than I’m ready for but not sure.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I’m looking to try something maybe with more blade exposure than the r41. I understand I should be looking for a pre 2013 r41? Anything else to consider?

Gem MMOC for an SE. Smooth, incredibly close shaving and really hard to beat. Use GEM PTFE blades.

IMG_2730.jpg IMG_2732.jpg IMG_2731.jpg

DE's, the Fatip Mk.1 can still be had, but you might want to email and make sure thats what you'll be getting. The iKon Tech, while harder to find, may satiate you're blade exposure needs. It sure did @Parallax and he may have started hoarding Ikon Techs lol.

I'm just gonna throw this in right here, where it belongs!
de7c00205ee7e4f7d27fa5c657df9e13.jpg

Plenty of blade exposure here and they provide extremely close shaves!

Appreciate all the info of course. How tough is it making the jump to a shavette or straight?
Is there a way to differentiate the previous fatip compared to the new one?

Blackland Dart. I’m a big R41 fan have had one for 2 years love it.
The Dart is Awesome bought mine a few Months ago. Great Razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Is there a way to differentiate the previous fatip compared to the new one?

The main difference is cap width. The Mk.1 has an 18mm cap, the Mk.2 19mm. The bases do vary slightly as well but its hard to tell without looking at them side by side.

A Kai blade, like Mac suggests above, will give an extra .004" blade exposure per side. Kai blades being .008" wider than other blades.

Top Bottom