Let's see... IIRC, since August, I've spent about $130:
  • Henson AL-13: $80 (shipped)
  • blade sampler: $6
  • blade bank: $7
  • cream (VDH and Cremo): $15
  • alum and nick sealer: $21
If I'd stuck with my old carts, I'd have spent maybe $30 or so:
  • 10 more carts: $15
  • more canned gel: not sure, maybe $15 for a bunch from Costco?
But I was going to switch carts anyway, if I'd gone with Harry's, that's about $50 with tax:
  • starter set: $25
  • 3 month cart/cream refill: $21
So... no. But in the next year, I anticipate spending maybe $15 on 100 blades and either $7 or $30 on shave sticks, depending on if I start with a stick of La Toja or spring for a 3-pack from Mama Bear. If I'd gone with Harry's, I'd be looking at close to $100 in refills. Still not saving money, but getting close to breaking even, and I actually like shaving rather than just tolerate it.

I am saving money . I have several Gillette razors that I bought very cheap years ago , along with a few razors I inherited..I have enough soaps and blades to last the rest of my life . I still will buy Proraso once a year to so , and I bought a little tub of Cella extra bio , but my shaving purchases are now few and far between... I have been using the same inherited 78 super speed for the past nine years , only using my spare razors for travel..It is a good feeling not spending much money on shaving . I also have a few dozen pucks of vintage old spice and Williams soaps that I bought years ago very cheap.

In the short term, there was not any savings and a significant up front cost. I think my break even point was 2 years in, accounting for nicer soaps, good quality badger brushes and trying out different razors. You can definitely spend even more on an ongoing basis, especially if you are graduating from cheap cartridges and canned foam to artisan soaps and expensive straight razors.

So I have been DE shaving for 6 months, and I am trying to find if I am saving money actually.

I havent bought a 20 pack of mach 3 in that time and I was going through a box every month and a half. Depending if I felt rich and tossed after the first use. Which I did if I didn't want a breakout.

To get the results I get now yes I would have to. Also now I shave more.

So 45 × 6= 270

Feather ASD2 170 +35 100 blades + 25 PAA + 7 for Arko plus 15 for 100 GSB plus 10 for 100 voskhod + 3.5 Vander hagen. Plus 16 for brush Equals $266

So I have saved $4 in six months. Considering I felt like a spend thrift I think it worked out great.

I think whatever amount you save is well worth it, especially considering the better quality Shaves. I could see why women may not get as many Shaves, especially considering the areas they shave, overall, is larger. 😉

I think whatever amount you save is well worth it, especially considering the better quality Shaves. I could see why women may not get as many Shaves, especially considering the areas they shave, overall, is larger. 😉
Leg stubble kills blades. Also yeah smoother and cheaper. I love it

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
save.JPG

I think in the long term--six years now--I've probably saved money. I have a lot of vintage razors but few have cost more than $25. Many were under $10. I bought two 100-packs of blades; I can't remember when. They last a long time since I get at least a week from one blade. I use a tub of soap until it runs out. I think I average one brush a year, again inexpensive ones.

Of course before I went back to SE and DE shaving I used cheap disposables and lathered with hand soap scraps so I guess I've always been frugal. :cool:

Yeah, me too.

Let's see... IIRC, since August, I've spent about $130:
  • Henson AL-13: $80 (shipped)
  • blade sampler: $6
  • blade bank: $7
  • cream (VDH and Cremo): $15
  • alum and nick sealer: $21
If I'd stuck with my old carts, I'd have spent maybe $30 or so:
  • 10 more carts: $15
  • more canned gel: not sure, maybe $15 for a bunch from Costco?
But I was going to switch carts anyway, if I'd gone with Harry's, that's about $50 with tax:
  • starter set: $25
  • 3 month cart/cream refill: $21
So... no. But in the next year, I anticipate spending maybe $15 on 100 blades and either $7 or $30 on shave sticks, depending on if I start with a stick of La Toja or spring for a 3-pack from Mama Bear. If I'd gone with Harry's, I'd be looking at close to $100 in refills. Still not saving money, but getting close to breaking even, and I actually like shaving rather than just tolerate it.

Saving money is sometimes very difficult, especially when you have a large family and have to make some large-scale purchases. I recently found a very useful article on fitmymoney.com/personal-loan-with-550-credit/ about how to get a personal loan with a credit rating of 550. I think this may be useful for you.
Good advice, thank you!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
After spending an absurd amount of money on straight razors, I spend very little money on shaving products. I have close to a kilo of ARKO and the only thing I have to replenish is an occasional bottle of aftershave. Had I settled for just a couple of razors, I would have saved quite a lot by now.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Our youngest son got me back into wet shaving by buying me a RazoRock Lupo DE Aluminum razor and some blades... out of the blue. He said.... Dad, you might enjoy the experience of wet shaving. I didn't really care for the razor itself... too light, slippery handle.

Long story short, I ended up doing research on YouTube. I can't blame B&B for my initial costs of setting up my shaving gear. I spent it all before I googled shaving forums and ended up here. I haven't spent any money as a result of reading the forums/and or threads here.... but this place is a wonderful source of information and I like the comradery here. B&B is a very nice group of interesting people with shared passions.

Now to costs. I'm in $800 or so, I think. The only items I would consider expensive are the Claymore Evolution razor and the Ultimate G4 synthetic brush, both from Executive Shaving Co. in Scotland. The rest are smaller items I just want to have around. But it all adds up pretty quickly. I don't really like scents all that much, so I won't feel the need to try different fragranced soaps. I like the more neutral scented soaps and I have 4 of them, with duplicates of two of them. I don't like aftershaves. I have a signature cologne I've been using for decades now: Escada pour Homme Escada.

I don't have anything on my radar to buy, though I am considering adding a brush or two over time. So even though I'm set for a while, my ROI is likely to be "never". Still, has been mentioned here over and over, I enjoy shaving now. It's no longer just a chore that must be done. I like the rituals I've developed in the past month and I'll continue learning. My goal, other than to enjoy my shaves, is to keep everything shaving related contained in this organizing unit that hangs over the inside of the bathroom door... my $800 in plain view:
Full_Length.jpg

I'll check back in 6 months from this post to see how I've done. ;)

I will give you a hint - does my razor rack/stand looks normal or implies that i've saved any money?
There are 33 razor slots in there so that is not just shaving in respect to grooming, that is a hobby and collection of razors.
I assume you would need brush and soap with cartridges anyway. You probably got quite a few brushes too so another collection.
I am thinking, you are not in this to save money!
🤣🤣🤣
Okay, I know it was a rhetorical question.

There are 33 razor slots in there so that is not just shaving in respect to grooming, that is a hobby and collection of razors.
I assume you would need brush and soap with cartridges anyway. You probably got quite a few brushes too so another collection.
I am thinking, you are not in this to save money!
🤣🤣🤣
Okay, I know it was a rhetorical question.

I don't have a lot of brushes (only 4, but i'm using only one), but i've recently got a lot of soaps and the only things that i'm going to buy from now on are just razors and blades, but not anytime soon though. I'm still waiting for 7 DE razors to arrive within 2 weeks or so and then i'm taking a break for at least a couple of months :D

Top Bottom