What's new

Have you saved money?

Saving money was never my intention with this. I wanted a better shave and I wanted a razor that didn’t feel like a cheap plastic toy. I’ve achieved both of those.

That sums it up for me. I was getting bad shaves, got tired of it in 2018, and the search engines did the rest.

I managed to zero in on DE kit that worked for me (Rockwell, various Game Changers, Astra SPs) without too many blind alleys, by reading the reviews here.

Have I saved money? I doubt it, but I have exceeded my own get better shaves target more than I would ever have guessed.

I've also had fun reading B&B, enjoying the community, and discovering soaps and brushes that work.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That sums it up for me. I was getting bad shaves, got tired of it in 2018, and the search engines did the rest.

I managed to zero in on DE kit that worked for me (Rockwell, various Game Changers, Astra SPs) without too many blind alleys, by reading the reviews here.

Have I saved money? I doubt it, but I have exceeded my own get better shaves target more than I would ever have guessed.

I've also had fun reading B&B, enjoying the community, and discovering soaps and brushes that work.
Well said.

I got into this because I'm about half Scotch and I squeak when I walk. Got tired of having my pocket picked every time I used a cartridge, and if I wanted to buy more I had to give the clerk the secret handshake before he'd unlock the cabinet they were in for display. True story doggone!

But the unexpected benefit of no more ingrown hairs is only surpassed by the fellowship I have here on B and B with you fine ladies and gentlemen! Thank you.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Have I saved money? Not yet but I know that I have to spend money to save later.

Over the past two years of traditional wet shaving, I have bought about 40 straight razors and given about 15 of those away.

My total shaving gear outlay over the past two years is about USD 4,500. Once I get me SR stable back up to 30 again, I have promised myself to stop.

I assume you compare traditional wet shaving vs. modern carts. Well the difference is the tools (razor, brush, blades), the rest (software) being the same. Considering I have returned or trashed no fewer than 10 DE razors* and 3 brushes since going old school, I reckon I have spent about the same money on blades** but more on razors. Bottom line: I went out of the frying pan, into the fire.
I'm making some progress though because I have been trying to join the Excalibur club. Also, my current 6S has a lifetime warranty, a nice build and the manufacturer has good customer service.

*my explanation: poor quality, my friends' : my king kong hands
** because of several samplers, because the majority of blades don't cut it (therefore got discarded after 2-3 strokes) and because I have not yet found a way to use any blade for a long enough time

No, maybe if I stop trying new products and use what I have for 10 years, maybe then.....
I am finally at that point. Last year I blew some $$$ on a Merkur Progress and a Fatip Open Comb Slant. This year, I've spent nothing on razors; bought some blades; I've settled on 1 brush, though I have 2 alternates I use occasionally; and rotate through my razors in the course of 2 weeks. Yes, I've bought a couple of aftershaves or colognes, but I'd need something in that line anyway from time to time.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Have I saved money?

Shaving every other day, call it 183 shaves per year. I have at least 140 Polsilver blades left. Even using one blade a month I have an 11 1/2 year supply of Polsilver blades alone, not to mention 190 Derby Extra and 190 Feathers and this one blade is already past the one month mark and I'm still shaving first pass ATG. I had thought the sharpness might fall off and I'd need to start a more traditional shave first pass WTG/XTG, but not yet.

I started this blade Nov. 28.

I'm now on the 5th week and it shows no signs of slowing down and in fact, has improved. Its still very nearly as sharp as it was fresh and a whole bunch smoother.

The 200 blades cost me CAD$43.16 total. Thats $0.216 per blade. At 20 shaves this blade has cost me $0.010. A full 5 weeks shaves for a penny. People say this type of shaving doesnt save money. Think again.

I dont remember offhand what the total cost of my Grande was, but it was close enough to $50 to call it that. Under CAD$100 for the best DE razor made in my opinion and 200 of one of the best blades made, and you're good for ten years.

Yep!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I consider shaving my indulgent hobby. After all I am worth it - right? I don't take on a hobby to save money. I have friends who golf extensively. They certainly don't save money on that hobby. That logic almost convinces my wife - but not quite. ;)
Mine neither, my friend. My wife is WAY smarter than me. Except on ONE day. I thank Him everyday that He let her marry me. I may call her the War Department, but without her, I would not have lived half as long as I have...

So all y'all's can blame her for me being on here so much!

proxy.php

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I heard somebody takin' my name in vain...careful what ya ask for; I might answer!

With reference to AC blades and ATT razors: I have had both the SE1 and SE2 -- both of which were "above my skill level" at the time I had them. I currently have an ATT X1 AC slant razor. Not only is it designed as a slightly milder razor than the SE series, it's also quite possible that a couple of years later my skill level has improved. Either way (or both) it's a great razor.

I must say, however, it's not quite the ATT S2 which is one of two that sit right at the top of my preference list.

AC blades have wider edges than DE blades. This is useful on a face, where there are some flat planes as well as gentle curves. On a head, however, with some areas that change angle rather abruptly and there are no real flat areas plus very little padding under the skin AC blades although giving good shaves just aren't being used across the entire edge. It may seem a bit cheap to argue over wearing out a 50-cent blade in one little spot, but for me a DE razorblade's edge width is more useful on my head.

Even when I was racing bicycles back in the '70s and all the cool racers shaved their legs, I did not. Therefore I can't directly address Olivia's intended use other than to say that based on my sexy manly legs I'd probably be happier with a DE than an AC blade there. But the AC blade would work, and after all we're all about learning new things.

I say go for it!

O.H.

Yes, you can save money DE shaving as compared to cartridges.

But seeing as you are active here, it is not at all likely because merely being on this forum shows you have an interest in one or more kinds and facets of wet shaving. So the task of shaving is turning, or has turned into a hobby and those are always a hole you have to fill with money.

I have to think virtually all members here are in the same boat- enjoying learning about, gaining skill at and becoming more involved in shaving. For example, buying straight razors is somewhat expensive though one can bargain hunt and keep the costs sub- sonic. But get into straight honing and all hope is lost :) Same thing with DE razors, buy one and shave, it is saving money. Buy several and it will take years or decades to save money but even that is unlikely unless hardware purchases actually stop.

I had the usual case of RAD (razor acquisition disorder) but after buying a bunch of razors I found I had about all the different types I was interested in. Then the funny little kink kicked in and now I only buy razors that I actually want and are of the type I prefer so fewer razors of better quality. Fewer purchases but more expensive per unit. Oh well, it saves in shipping costs :)

I actually do expect the acquisitions to end.... at which point my estate will sell off most or all of my shaving stuff and fuel the acquisition disorders of several other people. ROFLOL

So I have been DE shaving for 6 months, and I am trying to find if I am saving money actually.

I havent bought a 20 pack of mach 3 in that time and I was going through a box every month and a half. Depending if I felt rich and tossed after the first use. Which I did if I didn't want a breakout.

To get the results I get now yes I would have to. Also now I shave more.

So 45 × 6= 270

Feather ASD2 170 +35 100 blades + 25 PAA + 7 for Arko plus 15 for 100 GSB plus 10 for 100 voskhod + 3.5 Vander hagen. Plus 16 for brush Equals $266

So I have saved $4 in six months. Considering I felt like a spend thrift I think it worked out great.

Top Bottom