What's new

Have you saved money?

I haven't seen that section. In fact I haven't even checked that section here. Off to above the tie website.
I was going to try to convince you to get a Leaf Thorn, which takes a half DE blade, some time ago. But, I thought you were just experimenting with blades and soaps. It's a LOT cheaper than an ATT, but yeah the Artist Club blades...

I was going to try to convince you to get a Leaf Thorn, which takes a half DE blade, some time ago. But, I thought you were just experimenting with blades and soaps. It's a LOT cheaper than an ATT, but yeah the Artist Club blades...
I have thought about leaf. I recommended it to roommate who still uses fusion.

I have thought about leaf. I recommended it to roommate who still uses fusion.
The Thorn is a more aggressive, though not really, variant of the Twig. You would only want to use it on your legs, wink. At least until you get comfortable. Since you already have a mild razor. And it takes half blades since you are throwing them out prematurely, it would give you twice as many shaves.

The Thorn is a more aggressive, though not really, variant of the Twig. You would only want to use it on your legs, wink. At least until you get comfortable. Since you already have a mild razor. And it takes half blades since you are throwing them out prematurely, it would give you twice as many shaves.
Very true. Double use.

You really can't throw Artist Club blades out after one use, that would be beyond ridiculous. You would have to try it and see how it goes. You could have a rotation, I do, where you use the AC razor 3 times per week and then toss the blade. They have two distinctly different blades for light hair. The rigidity makes up for them not being as sharp.

You really can't throw Artist Club blades out after one use, that would be beyond ridiculous. You would have to try it and see how it goes. You could have a rotation, I do, where you use the AC razor 3 times per week and then toss the blade. They have two distinctly different blades for light hair. The rigidity makes up for them not being as sharp.
The artist club blades go in the X1 razor? Does that razor fit in the stand? I like the leaf Thorn, but no stand.

It does! So hmmm buy single edge? Have to get stand for Feather first. Mid December it will be back in stock. I will.start saving cause that is likely to be the next razor purchase

The artist club blades go in the X1 razor? Does that razor fit in the stand? I like the leaf Thorn, but no stand.
As far as I know, all the ATT razors use the same handle. So it would, I can check. Thorn has stand.

Edit: where did you find the stand? I was actually in favor of you just getting the ATT stand, then you can use it later when you eventually get an ATT and only keep one razor out at a time.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I used to save a ton. I had a Gillette adjustable and one brush, and I used soaps from the grocery store. Since joining Badger & Blade, I have replaced my razor with an Above the Tie Windsor, picked up a second brush (Kent BKB4 to go with the BK4), and discovered Martin de Candre (Fougere and Agrumes but plan to go to only Fougere in a year or so when I finish the Agrumes). Now I can return to saving money, using a Gillette Silver Blue 2-4 weeks. Oh, and my aftershave is 4711 cologne. I buy it in giant 800ml bottles for about $40. A bottle lasts well over a year. I also still have 3/4 of a bottle of St. John's lime. It was a fun splurge.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I did a fair bit of shopping over the last couple of years, which has put me well in front in terms of consumables. That said, I'm still spending way less than I would with cartridges.

I mostly use one razor, an Edwin Jagger DE3D14. That cost me maybe £35 sometime around 2012 at a guess. In that time, I have had to replace the top cap at a cost of £7.50. That razor does over 200 shaves per year.
(35 +7.5) ÷ (200×9) = £0.02 per shave

I bounce around a bit with soaps, but get about 4 shaves per gram with hard soaps, dropping to 2 or 3 shaves per gram with tub soaps. Even if a 140g soap costs me £18, the chances are, it is still costing me less than £0.05 per shave, and many soaps will cost me less than a penny a shave.

Most blades which cost under a tenner per hundred give me 10-14 shaves (my current blade just did it's 22nd, and is still shaving), so they are under a penny a shave, as are synthetic brushes for the most part. For post shave, if I use any, I buy cheap stuff from local shops. I don't use them every shave though.

I have completely lost track of how much cartridges cost these days, but if they lasted me three shaves, I had done well. In comparison, most traditional double edged shaves cost me less than five pence, and even a lavish shave costs less than ten pence. I have been saving money with double edged razors for 30 years.

Easy, get the Thorn on Friday for the cost of the Feather stand alone and snap your blades in half. I wouldn't start with the Nacet though...

I did a fair bit of shopping over the last couple of years, which has put me well in front in terms of consumables. That said, I'm still spending way less than I would with cartridges.

I mostly use one razor, an Edwin Jagger DE3D14. That cost me maybe £35 sometime around 2012 at a guess. In that time, I have had to replace the top cap at a cost of £7.50. That razor does over 200 shaves per year.
(35 +7.5) ÷ (200×9) = £0.02 per shave

I bounce around a bit with soaps, but get about 4 shaves per gram with hard soaps, dropping to 2 or 3 shaves per gram with tub soaps. Even if a 140g soap costs me £18, the chances are, it is still costing me less than £0.05 per shave, and many soaps will cost me less than a penny a shave.

Most blades which cost under a tenner per hundred give me 10-14 shaves (my current blade just did it's 22nd, and is still shaving), so they are under a penny a shave, as are synthetic brushes for the most part. For post shave, if I use any, I buy cheap stuff from local shops. I don't use them every shave though.

I have completely lost track of how much cartridges cost these days, but if they lasted me three shaves, I had done well. In comparison, most traditional double edged shaves cost me less than five pence, and even a lavish shave costs less than ten pence. I have been saving money with double edged razors for 30 years.
Mach 3 coat

Mach 3 coat 41 for 20 cartridges. If I went past two shaves I got bad break outs. I would even break out a little on the second. That's $2 a shave and the best deal in cartridges imho. Outside some mail order club

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
No, if I had have stayed with my Schick Ultrex and one brush and my canned Nivea Gel I would have saved thousands of dollars. Now I have something like 12 Creams, 25 Soaps, probably 700 razor blades and over 300 De and SE razors and 30 odd brushes.

Top Bottom