What's new

Have you saved money?

No... not yet! Honestly I hardly spent anything on shaving in the past (used the same electric for 10+ years), but I didn't like results I was getting, and I didn't want to spend $10+ a month on blades.

DE shaving "promised" simplicity and economy - so far neither have come to fruition, but I am enjoying shaving more!

Every so often I kind of just put in some good-faith-back-of-the-napkin number estimates to check and see if I'm actually saving money with DE shaving. Doing this again, I have to say since I started wetshaving, even with my Tatara Muramasa purchase (which I got in a very good deal, I have to say, which is why I bought it), I still am spending much less money than I would have using cartridges all the time.

Blades just cost a fraction of a cartridge and provide more shaves. That adds up over time, a lot.

Outside of my Muramasa purchase though, I tend to be pretty frugal with shaving. I think if I really went to town it might be different, but even then, I'd have to spend a lot more money on wetshaving to even make it even with cartridges.

I am only 2 months in and what I have spent or purchased is consider an investment, By my calculations, I would start saving money if I use up all my soaps, blades, and balms with no additional purchases and in about 7 years =)
You can save money IF you leave this forum forever and stick to one setup for the rest of your life. There are good 'n cheap razors, soaps and aftershaves. I think I have spend around 300-400 euro just this month on shaving supplies just after I decided to visit this board again after a couple years. Currently I'm trying out the Fatip razor, so far they're very good and I'm planning to buy 800 Fatip blades while I have 750 Wizamet, 800 Feathers, 500 Permasharps, 300 Astra SP razors.

So I have been DE shaving for 6 months, and I am trying to find if I am saving money actually.

I havent bought a 20 pack of mach 3 in that time and I was going through a box every month and a half. Depending if I felt rich and tossed after the first use. Which I did if I didn't want a breakout.

To get the results I get now yes I would have to. Also now I shave more.

So 45 × 6= 270

Feather ASD2 170 +35 100 blades + 25 PAA + 7 for Arko plus 15 for 100 GSB plus 10 for 100 voskhod + 3.5 Vander hagen. Plus 16 for brush Equals $266

So I have saved $4 in six months. Considering I felt like a spend thrift I think it worked out great.
I did not switch from cartridge/disposable razors to save money and definitely have not saved any. I was just as likely to buy a big bag of 2 blade Bic disposables as I was to buy some replacement cartridges for my Gillette so I was barely spending any money before.

I first got into straight razors as I wanted to learn a new skill and I enjoyed it but decided it wasn't for me, but I can say I can and have done a full SR shave, may even go back to it someday. Then I switched to Double Edge vintage razors and fell into almost all the acquisition disorders in the 3 years since. While I have not saved any money I have found a lot more enjoyment and fulfillment and do not regret any part of the journey and look forward to it continuing.

Of course not. I was using a Norelco electric razor that I had owned for years and had paid for itself many times over. Or disposable razors which ran about $3-$5 for a 5 or 10 pack. And $3 Barbasol.

Adding this "hobby" was not rewarding financially, but it's been a big lifestyle improvement. I enjoy my morning shaves not instead of it just be something I need to be presentable.

I've actually saved a ton of money!....on foam in a can and carts.

Episode 12 Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I am not saving money by any means…not yet. I started wet shaving 6 years ago this month by direction of my dermatologist. Last August I got into DE razors and fell down the rabbit hole. However, I’m now at the point where I’m satisfied with my gear and won’t be purchasing anything else this year, or probably next year as well. I suspect that I will start saving money by the end of the year, once I sell off some of the gear I don’t want or need.

1,000 nacets, two razors...I think I'm done...the aggressive razor for certain days, the Henson mild for eternity, I suppose I need to buy another one for backup...perhaps splurge for a titanium aggressive. I am a Henson loyalist because my neck and face no longer agree to much else. It just works....though I am seeking out a mint or NOS Gillette Tech...older the better.

I would say NO, but I`m probally not far off either, considering this really wasn`t my goal or intention with wetshaving. Saved or spend, it`s worth it, because my skin looks much better and shaving is no longer a unpleasant, boring chore.

No…

Absolutely not…

I consider this a cheap hobby that has paid for itself in how much my skin has improved since I started.

In theory… in times of austerity… if I had to cut back… I could probably go ages on what I already have.

I think that even if I had to cut back… I would watch garage sales/estate sales/flea markets for cheap razors and other vintage shaving products.

Shortly after joining here, I had a 1940's style Super Speed, 300 Shark Super Chrome blades
and I was set for life.

I stayed with B&B, and I only started thinking about this now:
a lot of guys here are looking for more ways to spend more money,
and I have been one of them.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The moniker under my SN says it all.... Thankfully, I didn't show start wet shaving to save money. <eg>

I just bought two new-to-me "used" fairly inexpensive... or (relatively inexpensive, depending on the definition) razors and some different DE blades to try.... The journey continues. ;)

I have settled in with what I like and am mostly buying replacements. Blades for less than $20 per year for 100 blades could be considered a savings. My MdC Brain bowl will yield over 400 shaves and is now a replenishment item. Is it cheaper, I don’t know, but if doing any kind of wet shaving it or another soap is necessary. My aftershaves are not the cheapest but again the same ones would be used for any type of shaving.

After the initial equipment purchases (razors and brushes) I am pretty well set. Going forward if I consider blades vs cartridge refills and all supplies being equal, I am probably saving. However, I never would have had a seven year supply of cartridge refills.

Top Bottom