What's new

Have you noticed?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1590079945389.png
1590079961881.png
1590079980207.png

What would we have to talk about - ruling out politics and religion and sports - were it not for this hobby | addiction | passion | lifestyle | pursuit?

Plus, and I repeat myself, we're saving tons of money! Denial of that simple fact is moronic.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have been shaving now for about 55 years. Over that time, I have shaved with various single edge safety razors, double edge safety razors, straight razors, a cheap shavette, cartridge razors (1 blade .... 5 blade, fixed and pivoting head), rotary electric razors, reciprocating electric razors, foil electric razors and probably one or two others I have forgotten. Unlike Murray Carter, I have not tried shaving with a hunting knife, sword, axe or sharpened spoon. I have always sought a better shave.

With electric razors, I generally need to shave twice a day as they never shave quite close enough. With multi-blade cartridges, I can shave close enough, but my face gets irritated. I never liked the GEM style SE razors. Nor did I like the Schick injector razors that I used early in my shaving career. Today, I do have a Above the Tie SE1 razor that uses an Artist Club blad; it is a great razor for my clean-up pass, but I rarely use it for a full shave. I switch between straight razors and DE razors. Even if I shave with a straight razor, I usually use a DE (or SE) razor for the clean-up pass as it will more easily get the remaining stubble from the difficult to shave areas of my face.

There are lots of choices for shaving tools. There are no right choices and no wrong choices. Use whatever implements work best for you within the constrains of your budget.

I think people naturally migrate towards what works. But as others have mentioned, mastering a new level of difficulty while exploring new territory has its appeal. I for example, don't welcome the added responsibility and trouble of having to care for traditional straights, nor do I welcome the added costs. I do however, thoroughly enjoy shaving with AC shavettes, which offer a level of difficulty to master, along with the convenience of low maintenance care. I enjoy the width and breadth of this hobby :)

Many people keep saying that carts do not shave close....., maybe they have not used one recently?
They have so many blades, on lifts other cuts..... hence the irritation and the whiskers are many times below the opening to the skin as they were pulled then cut....so it's a closer shave!!

I do no favor them, but admit they shave closer. I get ingrowns w them.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
What would we have to talk about - ruling out politics and religion and sports - were it not for this hobby | addiction | passion | lifestyle | pursuit?

I stopped being able to pretend I knew about sports when Parish, Byrd, and McHale quit playing for the Celtics, so this has been a social boon.

Plus, and I repeat myself, we're saving tons of money! Denial of that simple fact is moronic.

Well, my straight was inherited, but the extra razors, blades, creams, soaps, the HA on its way, the balsa and sub-micron sprays I need…. That‘s less expensive and less moronic than a bunch of Gillette Good News disposables and plain soap?

Most who convert from carts to DE/SE shaving extoll the virtue of that latter and would rarely return to the former.

Most who pro(de)gress from DE/SE to SR shaving extoll the virtue of the latter and would rarely return to the former.

What does this indicate to you?

dont know what your talking about man????

camo

I am one who reverts partially. Carts to DEs to SR to SE to better DEs. Now, I use all the above except carts.

What does this tell us:
  • Carts and canned foam suck. Most anything wetshaving is substantially better.
  • We grow in our technique and can handle more efficient razors over time.
  • We need variety. One soap one razor is boring.

I've followed the common progression from carts to electric to carts to DE to straights. I think that all will effectively remove most of your whiskers most of the time.

Arguments about which is "better" are completely subjective based on what any individual considers "better" and includes considerations of time, skill, fun/coolness, and results.

Arguments about "savings" are also subjective and depend on whether one includes costs of "finding your favorite", collecting, and one's individual proclivity toward rabbit hole pursuits.

The bottom line for me is that there is a wealth of choice in how one shaves and that's because there's great diversity in what people want from a shave and from shaving in general.

To answer the OP question, the common progression is what it is because, IMHO, each "advance" involves progressively "scarier" tools and requires "more difficult" skills. People overcome these obstacles based on what they as individuals want from their shave and from shaving in general.

Let’s see. Techmatic (very briefly), Schick injector, then a heritage Old Type and a Merkur slant for about 40 years.

Then B&B. I was going to get a different OC and a different slant. Two razors, and maybe a soap other than Williams.

Now lotsa DEs, lotsa vintage Gem blade, some Schick injectors, two shavettes, some stragglers and strays, I’m falling deep into the SR rabbit hole, but dragging the whole collection behind me. Plenty of multi-razor shaves, and lurking, and posting! Too much posting!!

Looks more like a chaotic arrival scene than an itinerary. In the comics there is always an orderly queue at the Pearly Gates. I just got dumped in Grand Central Station during a Ziegfeld Follies rehearsal. Heaven or ?

The reason I would never revert is that no other method of shaving provides a closer and more comfortable nick free shave. It was well worth learning to shave and maintain the razor. I can shave in about the same time as with a DE and maintaining a well finished edge is very easy. My only regret is that I waited so long to convert.

And that perfectly explains why he (and I) have drawers full of straights!

So glad I went to DE. I am not a fanboy collector (.....yet) as I have only one brush and like 3 soaps with one brand of razor/blade. Nothing else. Plus the options on DE are much better.
I’d be curious to know the size of your stockpile in 6 months to a year time!!!!
So far you’ve shown great restraint. 👍

Id actually say that I havent noticed. I went that route and came back from straights to DEs because of the maintenance that a traditional straight requires.
Im just not down for all of the constant stropping and honing that is required. I just want to use a blade a few times, pitch it and put a fresh blade in and go.
Shavettes can be fun though and if I ever went to straights again, the only thing I would consider is a shavette.

Top Bottom