What's new

Have You Ever........?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Alright I have always wondered if I was the only weird one .
Have You ever shaved with something other than shaving soap or shaving cream for a Lather and of course
not using a brush ?
Years ago I would use Dial antibacterial soft soap and my trusty Cart when I ran out of the canned stuff
I have also used Post Shaving Balm and pre shave oil with DE Razors .
I know "back in the day" Ivory Soap would advertise it's use for Shaving
ivory_dadshave.jpg

I am sure a lot of You have used Bar Soap in the past and of course the Water only Shave .
So what is the weirdest stuff You have used and What made you want to try it ?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hair conditioner in the shower, because I thought it might be slicker than bar soap. And it was, but no real cushion, alas.

Not unless you consider just water, when I was a in the military. I tried brushless shave creams once, but wasn't impressed, so I am not sure I would be happy with something else that wasn't made for shaving.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I've used bar soap, shampoo and conditioner. I've also tried shave oil. Still prefer traditional lather.

I have tried bar soap, conditioner and oil. Prefer lather from products made specifically for shaving, by far.
In a pinch, any of the above will do.

Wife shaves her legs with lathered bar soap and water but does not shave daily. I tried it but prefer a proper shave soap / cream with more slickness and less drying. In a pinch it would suffice but would not like to use it daily.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've used bar soap, shaving oil, hair conditioner, water only, and assorted foams and gels. To be honest, if I used a moisturising bar soap, or at least something that wasn't drying, I could quite happily use that daily.

I don't chase scents, and nothing wrecks a shave quite like a cushioning lather - I don't really understood the perceived value of that, and I'm currently struggling to try get adequate lubrication without any cushion from some shaving creams. All I want from a soap is good lubrication and not leaving my skin feeling stripped of all nourishment. Some bar soaps are more than capable of delivering that.

Palmolive bar soap which I hoped would be the same as Palmolive shave stick. They look the same, feel the same, smell the same, but they're entirely different products. Good soap, cheap too, but terrible for shaving. I've used some moisturizers, okay but not good enough. Can I count Cremo?

I have tried Ivory Soap, Dove soap, Noxzema skin cream and olive oil. I like a good cream hair conditioner (put it on your face and wait a minute or two before Shaving). I prefer canned cream or gel. I like Proraso red and green; Barbasol and Gillette foamy and gel. Williams is still great soap and so is Van Der Hagan. Some work better than others. It's up to the individual. I use cream hair conditioner under canned cream as a base when my face is irritated. Dove soap works well as a base too. EXPERIMENT!!!!

No. The craziest I strayed from my regular routine was skipping a shave. 7 day shaver here. I’ve only missed a few:) for full disclosure: I always have a can or 2 of shaving cream for back up, and not afraid to use it!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Camping once I forgot to bring some canned goo when getting cleaned up in the morning so I improvised with Irish spring hand soap and scraped by, was not that impressed because I still remember that experiment.

Yes, I've used Ivory, Dove and Yardley's soap. I've also used shampoo and conditioners when I was a shower shaver in my cart days. I never used any of them regularly, only in a pinch when I was out of goo. They all gave me a decent shave but not even in the ball park when compared to shaving soaps and creams.

Top Bottom