What's new

Have you ever turned a basic into something awesome?

My daughter wanted a grilled cheese sandwich, which I can make quite well (using my cast iron, which makes me happy) and my wife chimes in that she saw something on Facebook about how to make a better grilled cheese. I was dubious at first, but I looked and found out how to turn this basic from good to incredible. It's called the "inside out grilled cheese". In a nutshell, you add cheese to the outside as well as the inside. If only I would have known about this in college.

Here's a link to the recipe:

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/236502/inside-out-grilled-cheese-sandwich/

I never thought I could get excited about grilled cheese sandwich.... I love surprises like this.

I give you the humble fried bologna sandwich, with homemade white bread, homemade mayo sharp cheddar cheese. Bologna from the deli of course I don't do Oscar Myers.

Last edited:
I tried to dye our pasta green one year for St. Patrick's day when my children were much younger. Not so good. It turned out kind of a light teal color and they were less than impressed.

That grilled cheese sounds really good. cooking cheese like that is awesome. I used to take a slice of cheese and place it straight on the flat top until crispy at my restaurant job in college. So tasty.

That grilled cheese sounds really good. cooking cheese like that is awesome. I used to take a slice of cheese and place it straight on the flat top until crispy at my restaurant job in college. So tasty.

Yeah - I could see doing that - just leave out the bread altogether. It's a low carb grilled cheese! Gluten free! (I'm assuming cheddar us gluten free - I know butter is)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
1. Add horseradish to your plain ole mashed potatoes
2. Add sauteed mushrooms, onions and garlic to your scrambled eggs
3. Add Tabasco(or favorite hot sauce) to your ketchup
4. Add cinnamon to your pancake or waffle mix
5. Put a shot of Bourbon in your BBQ sauce
6. Put a bottle of Guinness in your Beef stew
7. Put a dollop of finely ground horseradish (or from a bottle) on your steak.
8. Roast a full head of garlic in the oven for a nice spread on toast

I tried to dye our pasta green one year for St. Patrick's day when my children were much younger. Not so good. It turned out kind of a light teal color and they were less than impressed.

Blanch some spinach, puree it, strain it, and incorporate it into the eggs before you make your pasta dough (adding some extra flour to compensate for the increased moisture). It'll be beautiful.

Unless of course you were trying to dye dried pasta in the cooking water, in which case just ignore me.

1. Add horseradish to your plain ole mashed potatoes
2. Add sauteed mushrooms, onions and garlic to your scrambled eggs
3. Add Tabasco(or favorite hot sauce) to your ketchup
4. Add cinnamon to your pancake or waffle mix
5. Put a shot of Bourbon in your BBQ sauce
6. Put a bottle of Guinness in your Beef stew
7. Put a dollop of finely ground horseradish (or from a bottle) on your steak.
8. Roast a full head of garlic in the oven for a nice spread on toast

9. Replace one-third to one-half of the milk in a baking recipe with an equal amount of Bailey's Irish Cream. I also use a splash in the eggs that I whip up for really decadent French toast.

My scrambled egg game has gone way up since watching Gordon Ramsay's technique. The thing I learned was "touch". He puts plenty of butter together with the whole eggs into the pan, he never gets the egg too hot, and he stirs constantly, salting near the very end. My eggs have never been creamier and more buttery. I enjoy my scrambled eggs much more.

Last edited by a moderator:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Do a pesto sauce- it is nothing but basil, olive oil, and garlic, but it is very good.

Top Bottom