What's new

Have you ever taken your favorite cream to your barber for a shave?

Sounds weird, and I know some of you would probably wouldn't want to take your most prized possession out of your home, but has anyone ever done this before? Maybe they don't have a good quality shaving cream to use. I've seen many just carry the standard shaving gel from Elegance.

How about asking them to put some inside their lather machines so it can come out nice and warm and gooey?

Y'know, I don't even know if my barber offers a shave.

And if he does, I don't know if I'd want to get one. I think he's used the same straight razor on my neck for the past decade at least and it doesn't feel particularly sharp.

Sounds weird, and I know some of you would probably wouldn't want to take your most prized possession out of your home, but has anyone ever done this before? Maybe they don't have a good quality shaving cream to use. I've seen many just carry the standard shaving gel from Elegance.

How about asking them to put some inside their lather machines so it can come out nice and warm and gooey?

actually, no!

shave barber has asked about general scent pref, but final selection of brand/type was up to him/her!

dans shave at aos.jpg

Y'know, I don't even know if my barber offers a shave.

And if he does, I don't know if I'd want to get one. I think he's used the same straight razor on my neck for the past decade at least and it doesn't feel particularly sharp.
Mine use those barber's straights that have the Derby half blades in them. I used to know the owner and brought my own freshly stropped straight which she used.

It's funny but in Cali, only a licensed "barber" can offer a wet shave while a "beautician" can't. Both can cut hair but the latter can only use scissors, clippers or an electric "razor".

No more barbershop shaves for me. Ever.

The last time I had one the barber lathered me up with hot foam from a machine and did a crummy job. I paid him for the shave and haircut, I tipped him five bucks and thanked him.

Rick

Shaving gel is becoming common in barbershops. Hot lather machines are widely used in the U.S.
Barbers in the Middle East used brush and cream, every country is different.

actually, no!

shave barber has asked about general scent pref, but final selection of brand/type was up to him/her!

View attachment 1021946
How was that experience? Did the barber do good quality job or did he skimp on the products?

Mine use those barber's straights that have the Derby half blades in them. I used to know the owner and brought my own freshly stropped straight which she used.

It's funny but in Cali, only a licensed "barber" can offer a wet shave while a "beautician" can't. Both can cut hair but the latter can only use scissors, clippers or an electric "razor".

I wouldn't like the idea of going to one of those chain salons and trying to get a shave from a minimally trained and experienced beautician.

How was that experience? Did the barber do good quality job or did he skimp on the products?

treated the son-in-law. he has especially sensitive skin and liked the shave at the AOS barber (no longer there). absolutely no skimping on product. always fresh disposable blade.

More times than I can remember. But even if I don’t he always has some of my favourites Godrej and Palmolive, so I’m not fussed.

Shaving gel is becoming common in barbershops. Hot lather machines are widely used in the U.S.
Barbers in the Middle East used brush and cream, every country is different.

Barbers in the Middle East still mainly use brushes and creams. Some really high end ones use expensive soaps.

Rick

I don't think any barber can shave you better than yourself, unless you lack of good shaving technique.

Closeness is only one part of a "barber shop shave". The hot towel is another, and I'm not sure how to call this other part -- sensuality, perhaps. Having a barber shave your face is a wonderful experience.

Ever had your shoes shined at a shoe shine stand? Your feet get a marvelous massage, with a feeling similar to a shave from a barber.

Now, my old barber, not so much. She'd use a Bic and chop my face up. Twice was enough.

I had a straight shave by a barber a few years ago. He used shave oil and did a pretty crappy job. My upper lip was sore after the 2nd pass, then he did a 3rd. Worst of all I still had tons of stubble on my face. It's nice to be pampered, but if you want a great shave you're better off doing it yourself

Shavettes are pretty difficult to use effectively. Any barber who can do a good shave in one or two passes with one of those has my respect.

Top Bottom