What's new

Have you ever not been able to finish a shave with a new blade?

Yes, I recently tried Bic Chrome Platinum blades in a Gillette Slim Adjustable with terrible results. The blades were part of a sample pack from tryablade.com. I was afraid the first blade was going to shred my face, but I stuck with it long enough to make it through the first pass. It felt like a jagged edge. I tossed the first blade and waited a couple of days to try blade #2. I didn't even make it through the first pass before quitting and throwing it in my sharps container. I completed the shave with another razor. I don't know what the deal was. The blades didn't look any different to the naked eye. I've read they're well respected but they didn't work out for me.

Gillette Super Thin (Thailand, I believe). First and only time I've been absolutely positive there would be a bloodbath if I continued. Didn't even feel good about PIFing them so in the tool box they went. I'll use them for detail finishing or something.
You got the fake Super Thins. Around 2013-2014 they started making fakes. That is why I stopped buying them since then. There is a thread with photos here on the forum, but I can't find it now. Managed to get 120 of the genuine ones in the spring though.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I knew during the first stroke using a new Derby extra from a sampler pack that I should have tossed it. But I was stubborn and suffered through it. Maybe it was a dud? Maybe it doesn't work well with my razor and face? I'll find out tomorrow when I try another one.

Dorco ST300. Went from a tuggy dollar tree blade to a fresh, scratchy Dorco and actually went back to the dollar tree blade. Once. I just blamed prep because Dorco is what I first started with and they worked fine, until I discovered smoother blades.

This should have been a poll so we can see results at a glance. :)

It has happened to me with several brands. It's not a common occurrence, maybe once a year or so. I use a fresh blade with each shave.

Back in 2015. The older type derby extra. Fought through a couple strokes, changed blade to Gillette SB and never used a derby in that razor again.
I did order the "new" derby extras a couple days ago with the derby premium and derby "USTA" blades so I will not only revisit derby with the new ones but I'll try the old style I have (still have like 180) as my technique is much better than before.
But to date that's the only blade I've ever tossed mid shave .

I’ve had a bad Dorco ST300 and a bad Personna Platinum (Soligen)

The Dorco was when first started so either bad prep or technique but the Personna just tugged oh so badly... I kept going and gave myself ingrowns. Next Personna was fine..

Edit: I swapped the Dorco out with another Dorco and it shaved fine. Assumed prep and the time it took to swap blades allowed the whiskers to soften

Yes a couple feathers (its pretty rare i get one however) a couple derbys ...1 shark and a couple racers ...rapira dont remember what one ...1 merkur...1 voskhod...some of them i couldnt even go more than a pull others i tried to have a whole shave but it just got to unbearable..luckily its very rare..also and this is to my fault lol...i tried to shave with some very very old carbon old vintage blades that were hollow ground...and phewy 😂

I knew during the first stroke using a new Derby extra from a sampler pack that I should have tossed it. But I was stubborn and suffered through it. Maybe it was a dud? Maybe it doesn't work well with my razor and face? I'll find out tomorrow when I try another one.
The derby you had was the card inside the pack have the writing short way or long ways?
These are the old pre 2016 writing short ways:
Screenshot_20200922-002112.jpg

These are the new post 2016 production writing long ways on blade pack:
Screenshot_20200922-002149.jpg

Whether blue (10 packs) or green (5 packs) they are the same blade. Just has to be writing long ways.
Only difference in bulk packaging is the blues having 10 per blade is you get 200 and the green 5 packs are 100 per carton

Eben Stone

Staff member
The derby you had was the card inside the pack have the writing short way or long ways?
These are the old pre 2016 writing short ways:
View attachment 1158312
These are the new post 2016 production writing long ways on blade pack:
View attachment 1158313
Whether blue (10 packs) or green (5 packs) they are the same blade. Just has to be writing long ways.
Only difference in bulk packaging is the blues having 10 per blade is you get 200 and the green 5 packs are 100 per carton

This is what I received in my sampler pack:

16007510073736285638174673259922.jpg

Eben Stone

Staff member
Ok no way to know by the blade or wrapper. Unless you have calipers lol.
Old measure .1mm new are .09mm lol
I think I remember reading the measurements.

Not sure how accurate my calipers are but I realized after the prior post that I have the calipers over the wax dots. I put the calipers across the center of the blade and get either 0.08 or 0.09 depending on how hard I push on the wheel

16007537434572494995609353282898.jpg

Hello all. I know recently I have asked a lot of basic questions and I apologize for that. I honestly do not know anyone else that is shaving like this. Anyway, on to my silly question of the week: have you ever started a shave with a new blade and could not finish?

I thought I would shave this evening and try out a new soap and new blade. I loaded my Fatboy with a Rapira Super Stainless, set it to 3 and lathered up with the Barrister and Mann Leviathan. Now I am a super mild shaver and normally I shave on setting 2. But I thought I have plenty of time, just pay attention and go slow. No pressure.
That. Was. Not. Fun.
I ended up trying to use more water in the lather but that didn't. I had to switch to a setting of 1 to finish my first pass. By the time I was done. I have done three passes ( I am 2 pass guy ). Passes were 1, 2, 2 - WTG, XTG, XTG.

So I made it through. Only a couple of weepers and the alum block didn't set me on fire which was surprising.

But at one point, I almost threw the blade away and tried something else. So that leads me to my question - have you ever shaved and been like "well this blade is not for me" and changed in the middle of a shave?

Thank -Erik

I sure have. Some were irritating enough that I changed them after one or two strokes!

Bolzano
Voshkod
Treet Black Beauty
Zaza

That said, I think the razor makes a huge difference. I find I can shave comfortably with almost any blade (even the one's above) in my RazoRock Teck 2. In my R41 however, poor blades make for a absolutely miserable tugging experience. I stick to Gillette St Petersburg factory blades for the R41 (Nacet, PermaSharp Super, GSB, etc...)

Top Bottom