What's new

Have you ever not been able to finish a shave with a new blade?

The new Tiger Platinums have simply failed for me...ironically, the Tatras from the same plant have been better, but the latest one was also quite poor, so I wonder if there are QA issues since they went to new labels (and possibly new manufacturing processes).

The no name blades that came with the CVS razor. Managed one complete shave but it was 1 and done. I think Dorco ST300 was similar.

1) Bic (have even tried many) never got further than pulling hairs 1"
2) Voskhod, mine seem to be deffective
3) Crown
4) Gillette Yellow (mine are definitively defective (kind of rust)

None draw any blood , just rough as hell.

1 from the bay, 2,4 from A....n.

And I got 100 each...:c12:
I stay w Nacet, GSB,Astra, Feahter, and Crystal.

I've had perhaps one or two. I don't recall what the brand was. I'm glad I don't remember, I have a hard enough time trying to remember what I want to remember!

About 6 years ago I bought 100 Voskhod Blades probably based on the reviews and price.
The first blade was without a doubt the worst piece of steel I have ever put in a razor in my then 51 years of shaving.
Three strokes with that blade and it was out of there.I never paid much attention to the possibility of dud blades because I had been lucky and never had one.I threw the pack back in the rack and forgot about them.
I noticed them about 6 months later and thought about giving them away but remembered how bad that shave was and did not want to unleash them on some unsuspecting new shaver. I decided "one more attempt for the record and they go in the garbage". I pulled the second blade from the same box and got a super smooth 10/10 shave. I have been using them (from the same batch) in my rotation ever since with excellent results with my DOC Evolution.
It has been a mystery, knowing the manufacturing process, how one blade in the same batch can be so bad and the rest can be excellent.

Once happened to me years ago. It was a Dorco DE blade of some kind being sold as a Sainsbury’s supermarket own label blade. I tried 2 from the pack and they were both awful. Only blades I have ever thrown away unused!

Definitely yes, and more than once. The first one that comes to mind is "the blade from hell"(Graham Field blade), do a search for it and you should find a thread with a lot of not so good stories about it. I think I made two strokes and actually tried a third if I remember right and it left whisker uncut, what was gone was pulled out.

I bought some Personna blades that my grocery store was selling. They were a white dispenser pack of 10 and I don't recall where they were made. I can't remember making it through a full pass, and pretty sure I tried a different one to make sure I didn't get a dud. They were a bad blade.

Personna red that my friend gave me were bad. I think I made a full first pass but my face hurt so bad.

I remember buying Voskhod blades due to all the rave reviews here and at around $9 per 100 shipped why not try them. I can't remember if I actually finished a pass with them, if I did I forced my way through. I might have tried a second blade but I do remember I did not keep them.

I have had a number of bad blade brands that I finished a shave but would not use/buy again, Shark, Astra SP, Vidyut to name a few.

Funny story about Merkur blades. 4 1/2 years ago I started DE shaving with a Merkur 34c and it came with a blade and I used it for my first DE shave and the following 8 or 10 shaves and thought it was the best shaves I had ever gotten in 30 years of cartridges. I had Feathers on the way that were tied up in shipping so ordered a few packs of Merkurs and they were not good at all. How could one blade be so good and the packs were so bad, even tried a blade from a few different packs. Go figure.

ZAZA Super Stainless Gold (nice retro packaging), Supermax Blue Diamond. Terrible, dull blades. They would tug even WTG. I've a rather soft beard

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Once with a Shark Super Chrome and once with a Polsilver SI. I had endured full shaves with both brands before, and had decided to give them both another go with another fresh blade before writing them off. Once I started, I discovered they were as bad as previous, and I aborted. Neither shall darken my door again.

In 14 years, I’ve never made it through a whole shave with a merkur blade.

Funny thing about the Merkur for me was the blade that came with the 34c I think I got something like 9 or 11 shaves from it. It was my first razor into this adventure and they were some of the best shave I had up to that point in the beginning. I bought those blades and couldn't shave with them and I don't even like shaving with the 34c with any blade I install in it now.

So, from now on I'll stay aside from Treet Dura sharp(blue box) and Feathers. With the Treets I have managed to push the shave till the end (although it was terrible, pulled the hairs). With Feathers, more than 3 strokes WTG and I had to give it up, it was impossible to pull that stunt off. Maybe I'll try Feathers later(another blade) , only because of the good reviews, but the Treets are only for color in the drawer. Happy shaves, guys :)

Gillette Super Thin (Thailand, I believe). First and only time I've been absolutely positive there would be a bloodbath if I continued. Didn't even feel good about PIFing them so in the tool box they went. I'll use them for detail finishing or something.

Top Bottom