What's new

Have you ever liked a razor so much you bought it more than once?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I have dozens of RFB's and British Flat Bottoms. I love them. Buy as many as i can.

Lots of Techs and Super Speeds as well. Some models I have 2 or 3 of the same.

I have two Psycho razors and two Hybrid Techs too.

Nothing wrong with being a collector, until it crosses over into hoarder territory. :)
Oh, you’ve crossed over my friend. :302:

I have two Gillette Slims, the second of which was purchased simply because it was very inexpensive. It's actually a nicer razor than my first one. I may or may not sell one depending on how much I think I need a spare of it. I hate to ever be without one.

Yes, Merkur 37C slant. First one I ruined after dropping it after three years of use - tried to heat it up to melt the scratch - bad idea :)

The 37C is the only razor I use

Right now I have multiple Fatboys, Slims, NEW LC and NEW SC. Only because I have not found my exit razor... Still searching. And a number of vintage Gillettes I might use in future. Who knows If I ever will.

Merkur Progress, Gillette Red tip, blue tip, Slim adjustable and New LC. All were purchased, sold then purchased later because I regretted the decision.

I have about ten 1940's style Gillette Super Speeds.
Most are at home. One is in my book bag. One is in my travel kit.
One is at a friends house.

I like everything about that model and I never want to
concern myself with finding another specimen.

I bought a second Merkur Progress to replace the one I let my son "barrow", and a second PAA DOC nickel because I was ignorant enough to sell the first one.

Nothing wrong with being a collector, until it crosses over into hoarder territory
So far I’m still in the collector stage but I think I’m getting close to the hoarder stage when it comes to Techs. I have a pre war FHT, a 47-50 ball end contract tech, a 47-50 NDC non contract tech, a Z3 1954 tech with a post war fat handle tech and a Z1 1954 tech on the way. I’m also looking to get a Z2 and Z4 1954 tech so I can have a quarter set from 1954

I’ve got, or had, dupes of many razors. Did I say many? Well yes, many. I’ll always have (or at this time I think I’ll always have) two of the following: President, Diplomat, RFB, Tech.

I have a ton of Techs.

But there is only one razor that I bought, then traded, then bought another of, and that is the Fatboy.

I found a pristine cased Fatboy at an antique store and bought it for like $20. I liked it and used it quite a bit. But then a guy from Europe wanted to trade me a Mont Blanc LeGrand fountain pen for it, even after I explained that he was getting a raw deal. I told him he could sell the pen and buy 3 or 4 nice Fatboys (or maybe more), but he insisted on the trade, so I did it. The pen was beautiful, but I missed the Fatboy.

So I sold the pen on ebay and went on the lookout for another Fatboy in the wild. I found one at the most unlikely antique store that had mostly furniture and tools and hardware. They sold it to me for $15. After clean-up, it was essentially as nice as the first one. I still have this one, and I use it occasionally.

As you might imagine, I came out financially ahead, too. :001_smile

Reactions: CCR
Gem Junior Bar (Lather Catcher), Gem Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC), Gem Damaskeenes, Gem/Ever-Ready 1912s, Gem Featherweight, Schick Type A, Schick Type E, Schick Type G, Schick Type H, Kampfe Bros Star 1901 (Lather Catcher), Gillette Single Ring (various dates), Gillette RFB, Gillette Tech....okay, the list goes on for a while. Most (99%) of the time it's because the razor is "so nice I buy it twice" -- which stems from a combination of the following: "having backups for the shave-apocalypse", "having inventory for future PIFs", and being just a good old-fashioned "hoarder extraordinaire". I will say that I haven't found a modern razor that I feel the need to duplicate, but as you can tell from my list, my preferences run towards the vintage.
Pretty much what he said....

Hi,

The only razor I have more than one of the same thing of are those two Fasans, shown above.

I have this set of Open Combs for OCtober:

And, the heirloom stuff. Note that the Old Type is the same as in the OCtober set. I don't have two of those. ;)

The OT was my Mom's Dad's. The others were my Dad's, as was the brush and the two OS mugs with OS still in them. The Pre War Tech was what Dad gave me to begin shaving with in 1976. The Superspeed and brush was what Mom gave Dad for Christmas in 1948. I use it with the brush and OS every Christmas day. His ratty gold Tech I use on his birthday and again on their wedding anniversary. Mostly just because I can. :)

So, not really collecting nor hoarding. I used to have other razors from here and there, not heirlooms, and all those wound up passed on to others over the years. At one point, I had a couple of duplicates to those shown here, but didn't feel the need to have spares of any of those.

Stan

My first Gillette Tech was a ‘79 made in England. Bought another made in England one from the early 70s because of how much I liked my first one.

I liked them both so much I bought a gold plated pre-war fat handled one.

They really are the VW Beatles of vintage Gillette’s, and I will keep collecting.

No, I can’t say that I have. I’ve definitely sold some razors that I tried and they just didn’t work out (Blackbird, Rex Ambassador, to name two), but I can’t imagine why I’d ever buy them again. Reading some of the posts in this thread has me really baffled....like the person that bought and sold both Tataras, and then bought them both again. Or the guy who bought and sold a Rex Ambassador three times, and a Rockwell 6s twice, and now has two. I just don’t understand.

Now, I will likely buy a second Wolfman razor, but that’s different. They are collectors items and I will be getting an entirely different configuration from what I currently have.

Last edited:
I have two Schick Kronas. I loved the first one so much, I bought another a few months later.
Why? They’re relatively cheap and in case theirs ever a Krona shortage.

Top Bottom