What's new

Have you ever gone through a short period of frequent nicks?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
This is weird. Based on today, I think I found my groove again, but I have just had about a week, maybe 8-9 days where I got a nick every day. Nothing that did not stop quickly but all of which required a styptic pencil application.

What is weird is I almost never get nicks! I often go several months between nicks. I don't even normally get weepers. I've been DE shaving for just shy of 2 years now and have never been prone to nicks at all. That's why this daily run of them has me perplexed.

This morning I tried to clear my mind and concentrate, I find most of the time when I do get a nick, I'm daydreaming or problem solving in my head and I chalk it up to inattention. Today's shave was back to my usual perfect experience, so I hope this is behind me now.

What is really weird about this is that I am not an equipment freak, either. I only have one razor in my Chicago shave den, a DE89 head on an Ikon Bulldog handle, and I only have two brushes. I have a modest amount of soaps, Cella, Proraso, SMN, Don Marco, D.R. Harris, a TOBS Rose cream, all of which I have tons of experience with. And I'm only using my favorite blades, a mix of Gillette Blacks, Astra SP's and Polsilver SI's. I am totally dialed in to this process.

Nearly no nicks to speak of for almost two years, then a solid week of daily nicks, not weepers. Anyone else ever experienced this? :confused1

I've had the same experience. It's like poker, sometimes you're doing everything right but you just have a bad run.

Change in weather recently? That's the only thing that comes to mind. Personally, my skin has started to improve and become a little less dry now that the weather is getting warmer, and that means less nicks for me. I usually get some weepers once in a while if im in the dead of winter with some perpetually dry skin.

Yes! I went from DEs to SEs and then on to learning straights. While figuring out straights, I've been using an Injector or GEM SE on the off days... all of this, including straight razor shaves have been nick-free.. slow with the straights, but no nicks. I decided to get back to DEs this past weekend and brought out the Fatip Grande.. nicked the crap outta myself, left and right! Tried again, just to see what was what.. nicked again! Almost two years into this, and these were my only 2 multiple-nick shaves.

I had exactly the same experience yesterday, but I got a small cut and three weepers! I hope it doesn't turn into a trend with me...

Kind of like getting a case of the yips or shanks in golf. For no reason the condition appears and then it goes away. I had it happen and found I was just pressing too hard, it was cured by a tip I found on the board. Hold the razor near the very end of the handle similar to how you would hold a pencil by the eraser. It is almost impossible to cut youself as you can't apply much pressure with this technique.

I've had no nicks whatsoever for the last 2 years, but a few weepers when I'm using a blade a bit past it's due date.
Today I had 2 small nicks - though it's because I'm using a Shavette and learning how to properly approach each pass

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
No, I can't blame the equipment, and I'm sure not doing anything differently, and I'm not going to hold the razor any differently, either, after having been at this for two years, I have it figured out.

I think it was just being distracted with work issues, an upcoming move, life. This morning, I was concentrating on the shave, enjoying it again. I'll see in the morning if I'm back in the groove, but I strongly suspect it was just distraction, not paying attention to what I was doing.

Sounds like lack of concentration. If I am unfocused my Feather won't do anything, including nicks! I have noticed that since I started using the Feather a few years ago my focus has improved. Even more so since I added my Ikon baseplates. The SB baseplate will bite unless I am totally focused.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Sounds like lack of concentration. If I am unfocused my Feather won't do anything, including nicks! I have noticed that since I started using the Feather a few years ago my focus has improved. Even more so since I added my Ikon baseplates. The SB baseplate will bite unless I am totally focused.

Yep, another perfect shave this morning.

I'm sure this was simply getting too distracted. Worrying about working away from my family, the economy, my parent's upcoming move to a retirement community, just life in general, had started overtaking my morning thoughts. Shaving had become like driving, much of which on a daily commute is done by your subconscious.

Shaving is such wonderful 'me time' in the morning, it's worth clearing your mind and getting into the zen of the process. I'm back on track! I think it was just that simple. Enjoyed a little D.R. Harris and rocked The Veg this morning, and all is right with my world!

And it's Friday!

I went through that last week when I had a few rough shaves. As someone else suggested, the weather may have an effect
on your skin. You could have also experienced a bad blade too. When I get a few bad shaves in a row, I toss the blade and start with a new one.

Top Bottom