What's new

Have you ever encountered impolite remarks when you talked about "shaving"

I encounter impoliteness every single day I get up and leave the house.

It's 2020 and "cool" to have a beard. It's also 2020 and very easy to be uncivil to people you can't see. So no, I am not surprised about the above interplay on Facebook, and it's precisely why I don't use Facebook myself.

Getting a nice shave is no trivial matter. I have a new level of respect for people who shave well since I started shaving more regularly and trying to get as close as possible with irritating my face. I have no issues with bearded folks either, I think they look super cool if they can pull it off, but if one of 'em every gave me any flak about shaving (in person), they would soon regret ever having done so.

I used to have a big old beard and long hair. I looked like Jerry Garcia. A lot of my bearded friends would post stuff like that, "without a beard, you're just like every woman and child" and similar. "Beard culture" can be a pretty cancerous culture. I once remarked offhandedly to a friend that I wished my beard grew higher up on my cheeks like some other people. Later, during a trash talk session he tried mocking me for it like it was some big insecurity of mine or something.

Anyone who measures their manhood by the amount of facial hair they have must have some serious insecurities they're compensating for. That's why when anyone gives me a hard time about shaving, attacking my masculinity or accusing me of being unable to grow a beard, I just accuse them of hiding a week jaw and double chin. I'm a lot more likely to hit the mark than they are. And they'll be cut more deeply by it than I would.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I've always be of the view a real man decides when he shaves or does not shave and does not fold to peer pressure.

Outside of B&B I don't talk about shaving, so can't comment on impoliteness. Unless we are talking about the wife, who does not want to know about it at all and I can respect that. I don't want to know about her grooming methods either.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I’ve seen many with and without beards. Some look better without, some look good either way, and some make my day by keeping their beards.

I expect that the latter group are the ones who are most conscious of their own physical characteristics and tend to demean others to cover their own self image issues.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I’ve seen many with and without beards. Some look better without, some look good either way, and some make my day by keeping their beards.

I expect that the latter group are the ones who are most conscious of their own physical characteristics and tend to demean others to cover their own self image issues.
So people with beards are self-conscious and demeaning?

How should bearded people take that statement?

So people with beards are self-conscious and demeaning?

How should bearded people take that statement?

I did not say that. That was your statement. Possibly I was unclear. My comment only suggested that some of those who demean non-bearded men (who are in the vast majority) may be only demeaning others to protect their own self image.

I have nothing against a beard, only against someone who has a beard who demeans others for their choice to not have a beard. That seemed to be the topic being discussed.

I don’t do any social media. I enjoy b&b because it’s a good place to communicate with people who a very helpful and respectful. If people don’t understand why we choose shaving as a hobby that’s alright by me. Ever since I got into this hobby I have felt very welcome. I have told my wife I could be doing worse things with my spare time. She laughs and says, yep you are right. This is a great place to spend some time after a crazy day in this thing we call life.

I did not say that. That was your statement. Possibly I was unclear. My comment only suggested that some of those who demean non-bearded men (who are in the vast majority) may be only demeaning others to protect their own self image.

I have nothing against a beard, only against someone who has a beard who demeans others for their choice to not have a beard. That seemed to be the topic being discussed.
OK. I was just clarifying. You listed 3 groups. Shaved, either, and bearded, and then said the latter group.

I do not know if it is a cultural attitude in Taiwan or Asia for men to have beards or be BBS as socially excepted.. I have seen weird things ( to me anyway)in my travels. I will say there is always that guy or girl in social media. I really do not give it any weight and move on. Cheers to you and your buddy on your happy shaves! I personally feel like a man if I am bearded or BBS.. Due to Covid and months on end of working from home I don't think I will be growing it this year. I have bought a mortgage payments worth of shaving gear with all of the extra time I have had. :out:
IMG_1895.jpg
IMG_2197-1.jpg

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I encounter impoliteness every single day I get up and leave the house.

It's 2020 and "cool" to have a beard. It's also 2020 and very easy to be uncivil to people you can't see. So no, I am not surprised about the above interplay on Facebook, and it's precisely why I don't use Facebook myself.

Getting a nice shave is no trivial matter. I have a new level of respect for people who shave well since I started shaving more regularly and trying to get as close as possible with irritating my face. I have no issues with bearded folks either, I think they look super cool if they can pull it off, but if one of 'em every gave me any flak about shaving (in person), they would soon regret ever having done so.
I used to have a big old beard and long hair. I looked like Jerry Garcia. A lot of my bearded friends would post stuff like that, "without a beard, you're just like every woman and child" and similar. "Beard culture" can be a pretty cancerous culture. I once remarked offhandedly to a friend that I wished my beard grew higher up on my cheeks like some other people. Later, during a trash talk session he tried mocking me for it like it was some big insecurity of mine or something.

Anyone who measures their manhood by the amount of facial hair they have must have some serious insecurities they're compensating for. That's why when anyone gives me a hard time about shaving, attacking my masculinity or accusing me of being unable to grow a beard, I just accuse them of hiding a week jaw and double chin. I'm a lot more likely to hit the mark than they are. And they'll be cut more deeply by it than I would.
I do not know if it is a cultural attitude in Taiwan or Asia for men to have beards or be BBS as socially excepted.. I have seen weird things ( to me anyway)in my travels. I will say there is always that guy or girl in social media. I really do not give it any weight and move on. Cheers to you and your buddy on your happy shaves! I personally feel like a man if I am bearded or BBS.. Due to Covid and months on end of working from home I don't think I will be growing it this year. I have bought a mortgage payments worth of shaving gear with all of the extra time I have had. :out:
View attachment 1150361
View attachment 1150362

Hearing your thoughts about beards has expanded my horizons .
And it helps me understand that these are just some peer cultures and lifestyles.

I really couldn't help but buy more shaving supplies because of COVID. 😆

View attachment 1150361
View attachment 1150362
Been a while since I could grow it out due to professional reasons, but here's mine.
Forgot to insert quote

Top Bottom