What's new

Have you ever dropped your Razor?

As a 78 year old who has been shaving daily since my 15th birthday, I don't think I have ever dropped a razor.

Dropping a razor is like dropping a baby!

My PAA Phoenix DOC fell from a shelf in the shower. For a split second as it was falling, I wasn't sure if I should put my foot out to break the fall. I didn't, but luckily enough it was fine. No damage at all. I was lucky I was in the shower, because I think I peed a little. I've almost dropped my other razors a few times. I have a mini panic attack every time. I would hate to lose a razor because of my clumsiness.

Conventional wisdom is NEVER try to catch a falling razor, unless one wants to risk a nasty cut to the hand.

One of the reasons that I asked the original question is I currently have soft linoleum in my bathrooms but will be renovating them this winter. I am leaning towards ceramic tile but obviously concerned about dropping razors on it. I am not sure if I am just lucky to have not dropped them yet or if I am due for a butter fingers catastrophe.

Even though I haven't dropped my razor, my go-to brush has more dents from the regular drops than a firing range backboard.

I don't drop my razors, but I do drop a Maggard sample atomizer bottle on my tile floor about once every two months....the floor always wins.

I once dropped a brand new Weber razor on the floor, luckily it was on carpet in my room so no harm done. The worst part was that the razor had a blade in it, so I ended up cutting my finger!

Dropped my EJ with the nice shiny chrome finish. Chin to counter. First ting was to panic and check the razor and handle carefully for nicks, dents, etc. Only after I was satisfied that there was not damage did I look for chips on the counter.

It is the only razor I have had any potential slippage. All the other handles have some form of traction.

Interesting comments. A lot more people than I would have thought, shave without dropped/breaking razor issues. I am more confident about my ability to continue my drop free streak while getting the bathroom reno I desire.

I haven't dropped my razor.

My cat has however dropped it from the stand to the sink.

$Broken Jagger.jpg

Been shaving for ~55 years and haven't dropped a razor... yet!
However, at 68 I find things just seem to act upon one, like gravity, for example.

Last edited:
Wasn't paying as close attention as I should of and dinged a str8 on a faucet nozzle. Not too bad, but it took a bit of honing to take the ding out. Luckily it was a GD.

Dropped my EJ with the nice shiny chrome finish. Chin to counter. First ting was to panic and check the razor and handle carefully for nicks, dents, etc. Only after I was satisfied that there was not damage did I look for chips on the counter. It is the only razor I have had any potential slippage. All the other handles have some form of traction.

I just found this thread via a Google search. A few weeks after I bought my EJ DE89L, I somehow knocked if off the ledge of the sink into an empty cleaning bucket 3 feet below the sink. There wasn't a mark or a scratch on the razor or the plates.

Just one question - is it normal for the bottom of the closed comb plate (razor is resting on top of closed comb plate in photo from previous post) to be curved slightly inward or towards the top of the plate?

Last edited:
Broke a razor for the first time in 35 years of shaving about 2 weeks ago. My Edwin Jagger was sitting on the corner of a towel, I hooked the towel and off it went, in a graceful arc, to the tile floor. Snapped the head right off. I still have about 13 other razors, but I won't be buying zamac razors anymore.

Broke a razor for the first time in 35 years of shaving about 2 weeks ago. My Edwin Jagger was sitting on the corner of a towel, I hooked the towel and off it went, in a graceful arc, to the tile floor. Snapped the head right off. I still have about 13 other razors, but I won't be buying zamac razors anymore.

Are the Merkur plates also made of zamac? Other than the old Gillettes and the Feather AS-D2, what are some others that are all stainless steel?

Once. It slipped out of my hand, but I caught it... With my face. Only real "cut" I've ever had shaving. Right on my left cheek under my eye. It was bad enough I had to butterfly it for a couple of hours. Would have felt like Clint Eastwood or something if it hadn't happened after twelve-ish hours of fishing and somewhere around 73 beers, THEN find out we had a dinner date planned. It is simply impossible that I was told two weeks in advance, and reminded twice.

I had just opened the package my Merkur 39C came in, and I put the razor in my bathrobe pocket. I stepped out onto the front porch and, stooping to pick up the newspaper, the razor slipped out and hit the concrete. It was maybe half a meter at most and has not affected the razor's performance, but there is a small ding in the top cap.

With more and more high-tech gadgets coming into our lives, there is an alarming increase in the number of things that will never survive a severe drop.
Just as an earlier post mentioned; you can't ever drop a baby! . . . and they're not even high-tech.
:euro:

Last edited:
Top Bottom