What's new

Have you ever 3017ed a soap/cream?

Have you ever 3017ed a soap/cream?

• Yes.

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • No.

Votes: 24 34.8%

• Total voters
For clarity's sake, in case someone hasn't noticed the various threads mentioning this, 3017 is consuming the same soap all the time, from day 1 to the finish. I am just curious to see how popular this method is.

It is my current MO. Has been since signing into the Sybbaticals. I find it gives me the chance to really dial in what brush gives me the best lather, and work on getting my lathering technique down for that particular soap. Currently working on some p.106 and found my Semogue 2000 boar works best, for me. YMMV.

That's the way I do it. It's shaving, not bartending. I pick a soap or cream I want to use and use it. I do get variety with different razors and blades, straights and strops, and aftershaves. Soaps and creams on a best case scenario will give you a solid month of shaves, sometimes you can get them to go 3 or more months, and depending on the soap and usage, over a year is possible. So I learned to 3017 soaps and creams, or live with a never ending growing stockpile. I will say though that my tolerance for sub par or mediocre soaps is low, if it doesn't absolutely thrill me, it gets demoted to the shower.

Yep this is my MO as well. Once it’s opened it gets used exclusively until it’s gone. I only have 3 soaps at any given time so it’s not hard to keep from trying another. Plus the hassle of removing the puck i jammed into my only shaving mug just isn’t worth it to me.

I tried Old Spice natural early in 2018. I liked it so much that I ordered 3 tubes via Amazon from India. I used up the last of the 3rd tube in mid Nov. I ordered 5 tubes--again via Amazon. I am now on the 1st tube, with 4 to go. I should have enough to get well into 2019.

Sure!! During my 2018 Shaving Purchase Sabbatical, for example, I should 3017 a total of three soaps (two started well in advance of the sabbatical). :a14::a14::a14:

I used to always go straight through a tube of Musgo Real when I started DE shaving. Went away from that method later (also Musgo got way more expensive) but I am going back to that now, especially with the 2019 sabbatical coming.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Only once: The 2016 Willy Challenge.

It was the longest winter ever ... three months with that soap. That same soap. Every day. Every single day.

Variety is the spice of life. Using 5-7 soaps a week seems joyful and proper to me. Why the heck would you eat the same food every day?

AA

Only once: The 2016 Willy Challenge.

It was the longest winter ever ... three months with that soap. That same soap. Every day. Every single day.

Variety is the spice of life. Using 5-7 soaps a week seems joyful and proper to me. Why the heck would you eat the same food every day?

AA

I was thinking the same until now, but i reduced rotation to 3 and they still seem to last forever. So maybe i should try 2, i don't know... 3017 certainly is something that requires dedication and iron will!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I voted yes... but it's not strictly true.

While I open one soap, and continue to use it until it's finished, I have had the occasional shave with something else along the way. For example, the last soap gave me about 150-ish shaves, but during that time I might have had 10 shaves with something else.

So, I predominantly stick to just the one soap rather than swap and change, but I'm not fanatical about it. If I'm away from home, want to try a different lather with a certain blade, or otherwise stray for a shave or two, I'll go right back to the primary soap till it's finished before opening a lather.

On a side note - I don't use the date term, as different people seem to put different interpretations on it. My understanding, is not just sticking to one soap, but trying to use it up quickly so you can move onto the next. I don't do that. I just have no interest in swapping soaps all the time. I like consistency in the lather, so predominantly stick with one brush and one soap.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I was thinking the same until now, but i reduced rotation to 3 and they still seem to last forever. So maybe i should try 2, i don't know... 3017 certainly is something that requires dedication and iron will!

So now I have like 40 soaps, each with a slight dent on the top, and I'm a happy guy.

Today: Tabac.

Yesterday: B&M Vespers.

Tomorrow: who knows? Whatever crosses my mind. Possibly the Stirling Christmas tree soap ...

AA

I currently rotate between two. At the moment it is MWF and Cade.

In the 1970s, there was typically only one shave soap for sale at the drugstore. Colgate. Later, they switched to Williams.

Top Bottom