What's new

Have you been to any concerts/live shows recently?

The last concert I attended was Future Islands and Beck, two or three years ago. I really like Future Islands' albums but they are terrible live. Beck was amazing, as he always is.

My last full concert was the senior showcase for my daughter's performance class at her college (at the Troubadour in LA). Earlier this week I heard a bit of the sound check for Los Fabulousos Cadillacs in Dallas. Pretty good band with an interesting sound.

Two-hour performance by the Tesla Quartet, in a small auditorium.
Saw something I had never seen before. The cellist broke a D string. He kept going for the last 3-4 minutes of the piece anyway.

The Jayhawks at Mercy Lounge in Nashville. Excellent, even without Mark Olson. Gary Louris is an excellent frontman. The rest of the band is very together.

Saw Brian Wilson in October (John Cusack joined him onstage). I have tickets to see The Mountain Goats in July (my daughter dragged me to a show last year and they are now one of my favorite bands).

The Jayhawks last night at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA. Great show.

The Birchmere is a nice venue in lots of ways, but kind of annoying. Sunday night show set to start at 7:30 pm. We got there at 6:00 to try to grab a decent seat, which we did more or less. But parking lot and venue was nearly full. Opening act played for a half hour, not very inspiring. I felt kind of sorry for the guy. Then The Jayhawks came on at 8:30. 2.5 hours sitting around the Birchmere is a long time on a school night and we skipped the encores, which is too bad. The Jayhawks were in excellent form.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My daughter wants to see Ghost and Iron Maiden. I'm trying to negotiate with her- I told her I'd get het the tickets if and only if she also goes to see Zappa Plays Zappa with her pop.

Legion

Staff member
I saw Patti Smith about a week ago. She still sounds great, and can rock out well, given that she is nearly as old as my mother.

It's been a good summer, with three fantastic shows so far: Dead & Co. (they played Coltrane's "A Love Supreme"), Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, and The David Bromberg Quintet (Making Americana Great Again).

It's been a good summer, with three fantastic shows so far: Dead & Co. (they played Coltrane's "A Love Supreme"), Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, and The David Bromberg Quintet (Making Americana Great Again).

Love Supreme? I gotta get a tape of that. Oh wait, I mean a digital file. LOL!

Love Supreme? I gotta get a tape of that. Oh wait, I mean a digital file. LOL!

6/22/17, Bristow, VA. All the shows are for sale through their site; I'd send it to you if I knew how. The CD cover calls it "Space," following "Drums," but I saw a photo of the set list used by the band, and they penciled in "Love Supreme," and it's unmistakable.

6/22/17, Bristow, VA. All the shows are for sale through their site; I'd send it to you if I knew how. The CD cover calls it "Space," following "Drums," but I saw a photo of the set list used by the band, and they penciled in "Love Supreme," and it's unmistakable.

Got it. Thanks!

Not a terribly active thread, but a little bump might be fun.

Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers tomorrow night in Vancouver. The last time I saw him was a few years ago, wrapping up the "Saint Somewhere" tour in Vegas.
The venue won't be as nice (or as warm) but he hasn't been to Vancouver since 1996.

Fins Up!

I recently went to a "Here Come The Mummies" concert and it was a blast. Thought it'd be another novelty band, but those fellas really play so many different types of music, all incredibly well, that it's enjoyable for everybody.

Top Bottom