What's new

Have we reached the zenith of shaving technology?

The big companies will say no, but their interests may be driven more by marketing.

As we're all able to get DFS or BBS shaves very affordably with DE or straights, is there really anything left as far as razors go?

The only thing I can think of is somehow getting rid of irritation. Is it possible given that razors are, well, very sharp blades?

Maybe that's in the realm of software innovation? Seeing how we're getting fantastic shaves with 40, 50, or 100 year old razors, it seems to me that razor technology may have run it's course.

K.T.

Pinnacle reached in the 50s with the flare-tip superspeed, some earlier ones too, there are new razors that are wonderful, but the technology is not all that new.

A new zenith will be necessary either the minute Schick steals the Fusion's thunder, or P&G's patents on Fusion blades expires. The good old boys on Madison Avenue or at Chicago's Leo Burnett will convince us of its utter necessity.

I would say permanent laser hair removal is the zenith of shaving.

Y'all think too small - err, um, too big. The next pinnacle of shaving will be spreading a handful of nano-robots onto your face who then spread out and carefully trim your beard one whisker at a time. Think tiny mechanical lumberjacks.

You'll be able to program any sort of shaped facial hair you like. No skin irritation because only the base of the hair is being attacked.

The big companies will say no, but their interests may be driven more by marketing.

As we're all able to get DFS or BBS shaves very affordably with DE or straights, is there really anything left as far as razors go?

The only thing I can think of is somehow getting rid of irritation. Is it possible given that razors are, well, very sharp blades?

Maybe that's in the realm of software innovation? Seeing how we're getting fantastic shaves with 40, 50, or 100 year old razors, it seems to me that razor technology may have run it's course.

K.T.

The more complexity involved in the product or process, the more potential there is for improvements to be made.

In the world of personal computing, we have come a long way from the early days of 4K RAM and the need to become proficient in BASIC in order to have a functional tool. Today, computers literally set themselves up, tutor you in their use, and accomplish tasks that were unheard of even ten years ago! Where will we be in another ten?

I spent the past 20 years of my career distributing outdoor power equipment. Lawn mowers are fairly simple tools - a device designed to make tall grass short. Not much to improve on . . . but today's commercial-grade mowers can do the job faster and more efficiently than they did 20 years ago, which is important to the professional users.

As important as shaving is to this particular group, it is still a very simplistic proposal: Cut hair at skin level without irritation.

IMHO, based on personal experiences, we hit the zenith with the 1912 Gem. Not that others that came afterward weren't close . . . but that was the peak. The '50s SS and the adjustables were the last "top quality" tools made by Gillette . . . the Black Handle SS and Knack were at the start of the decline. Today, the three, four, and five blade cartridge monsters don't even come close to the classics in terms of closeness or comfort.

The one thing that has been gained is speed . . . you can get the best results that the beast can give with a single quick one-pass shave.

I'll invest a few minutes of pleasurable time spent using a classic tool for better results any day!! :thumbup1:

this:
proxy.php

but it needs another arm for the razor. you'll just sort of stick your face in there and come out all clean and shiny.

I would say that variable/adjustable laser hair removal would be the zenith of shaving.
Sharks . . . with lasers.

I'll argue that the pinnacle of shaving technology was reached when Wilkinson released the stainless steel double edged blade. Everything since then has only been a minor improvement (or not).

A new zenith will be necessary either the minute Schick steals the Fusion's thunder, or P&G's patents on Fusion blades expires. The good old boys on Madison Avenue or at Chicago's Leo Burnett will convince us of its utter necessity.

The first one has already come to pass and the second one might as well have. The zenith was reached in 1970 with the late model coated razor blades.

. . . The zenith was reached in 1970 with the late model coated razor blades.

That's certainly where there's room for current improvement, longer lasting blades of all kinds. I'm going to get to my 1970s NOS Personna 74s and Gillette Spoilers here in a while and see how long they last. Obviously plenty of room for suspicion here, as it's not in the manufacturer's interest to reduce the number of blades he sells. From the buyer's perspective, though, even a Gillette Fusion cartridge might be worth the $3.00 if you could get 15 or 20 good shaves with it.

Other than that, there's always room for minor tweaks. This morning, though, I shaved with a lather catcher made around 1906, and got a better shave than I've ever gotten with a cartridge.

Last edited:
I think straight razors are the peak of shaving technology. Such a sophisticated tool in terms of design and materials technology, yet elegant and simple at the same time.

Just like a lightsabre :a45:

(never thought I'd use that emoticon :lol:)

I think shaving has reached its peak but I’m nt sure I have.

I keep discovering vintage razors that are new peaks for me.

Y'all think too small - err, um, too big. The next pinnacle of shaving will be spreading a handful of nano-robots onto your face who then spread out and carefully trim your beard one whisker at a time. Think tiny mechanical lumberjacks.

You'll be able to program any sort of shaped facial hair you like. No skin irritation because only the base of the hair is being attacked.

Yes, but will the nano-robots wear plaid? :lol:

i think the pinnacle occurred in the 17th Century when Italian Barbers could be found all over Europe.

I mean what can be more effortless than having someone doing it for you.

Top Bottom