What's new

Have I sinned against us Fatip Grande users?

Hey fellas! Let me start this off by saying I love my Fatip Grande...but I have always thought the aligning tabs where too big and goofy looking. So I decided to CASTRATE THEM! 😈 I took the cap and wrapped the handle with electric tape so that when I filed them I wouldn't scratch the plating. It took quite a while to do it to the point where it would be flush with the safety guard. Overall I am happy with the results! However to save time if you have an electric grinder then it would take much less time. I like how this looks much more and for those who are in agreement with me and are dissatisfied with the unnecessarily large tabs there is a way.😂 Pics are below if you are curious with the results. The razor still holds the blade firmly as before. And I will not apologize for this necessary cosmetic procedure.God bless

Attachments

• fatip-grande-nickel-open-comb-safety-razor.jpg
    fatip-grande-nickel-open-comb-safety-razor.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 111
  • 20210903_014320.jpg
    20210903_014320.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 114
  • 20210903_110909.jpg
    20210903_110909.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 111
  • 20210903_110857.jpg
    20210903_110857.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 123
  • 20210903_110836.jpg
    20210903_110836.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 125
  • 20210903_111619.jpg
    20210903_111619.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 119
You haven't sinned at all - what a great idea. Well executed too.
Thanks! What inspired me was when I was looking at my Muhle R41 cap the aligning tabs where actually flush with the safety bar. And I was like dang maybe that's why I find my R41 to look so attractive vs my other razors. Even though I do like how the R41 looks more than my Fatip ; I still much prefer my fatip. I'll leave pic of the R41 so you can see what I mean. Just to note Idk why more manufacturers don't do this? It seems like a waste of extra metal and coating for no reason. If Fatip co. is listening remember to give me my props for any future adjustments on the Fatip Grande 😉 I accept cash or credit 😂

Attachments

• 20210903_123736.jpg
    20210903_123736.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20210903_123741.jpg
    20210903_123741.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 22
Hey fellas! Let me start this off by saying I love my Fatip Grande...but I have always thought the aligning tabs where too big and goofy looking. So I decided to CASTRATE THEM! 😈 I took the cap and wrapped the handle with electric tape so that when I filed them I wouldn't scratch the plating. It took quite a while to do it to the point where it would be flush with the safety guard. Overall I am happy with the results! However to save time if you have an electric grinder then it would take much less time. I like how this looks much more and for those who are in agreement with me and are dissatisfied with the unnecessarily large tabs there is a way.😂 Pics are below if you are curious with the results. The razor still holds the blade firmly as before. And I will not apologize for this necessary cosmetic procedure.God bless
Nice mod job!

:thumbup: Customizing a razor so it suits YOU is always a great idea, IMO. :wink2:

View attachment 1322192
Nice handle which one is it? Been trying to find a replacement handle for my Fatip(it's a bit too slippery). Saw on some threads that the Sabi T1 handle fits it. I've only had luck in finding the razor in Amazon but I'm looking for the shorter handle in 3 inch(which I prefer). They only have the 4 inch version it seems on amazon.Have you come across it online at all? Amazon.com: All Metal Textured Safety Razor Long Handle (Textured handle and smooth end) : Beauty & Personal Care - https://www.amazon.com/Textured-Safety-Handle-handle-smooth/dp/B00FHIKU46/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=boss+razor&qid=1630727724&sr=8-5

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 31F9fkWwzZL._AC_SY1000_.jpg
    31F9fkWwzZL._AC_SY1000_.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 10
I love the retro look of the bullets but this mod definitely makes the fatip look sleek and modern!!
Nicely done!!

I love the retro look of the bullets but this mod definitely makes the fatip look sleek and modern!!
Nicely done!!
I'm glad you like the original design! It's odd tho I have never aligning tabs on any de razor this long. Not even on the retro ones. They would save some money tho on manufacturing if the decided to make the tabs shorter. I think if my estimate is correct with the amount I shaved off they can probably manufacture 1 whole razor for every 25-50 razors they make. May not seem like much put it definitely adds up over time.

Reactions: nav
I'm glad you like the original design! It's odd tho I have never aligning tabs on any de razor this long. Not even on the retro ones. They would save some money tho on manufacturing if the decided to make the tabs shorter. I think if my estimate is correct with the amount I shaved off they can probably manufacture 1 whole razor for every 25-50 razors they make. May not seem like much put it definitely adds up over time.

Agreed!
There's no real need to have them so long but I guess it's their original design which they wish to retain.

Nice handle which one is it?
It's the GT which is my own design. I'm an LHF and finding handles to suit my taste is difficult, to say the least.

My good B&B friend (and meister machininst) Doug (@Rosseforp) made it for me. It's the one on the right, completely hollow, 76mm (3") long, 14mm diameter, and weighing in at 22 grams:
YUMA+Fatip-P+Fatip-GT_2021-08-11.jpg

The one on the left is for my Yuma YM-403 and the middle one is the prototype Fatip GT handle (now PIFd).
Been trying to find a replacement handle for my Fatip(it's a bit too slippery).
The great thing about the GTs is their knurling which is shallow and extremely grippy* (I know logic would say deep knurling for grip, but it ain't so IME).

* Towel wreckers. :wink2:

Also, bear in mind that Fatips have one-off threads, i.e. M4.5 x 0.75mm. Most new razors have M5 x 0.8mm threads and most vintage Gillettes have 10-32 threads (which are normally compatible with M5s).
Saw on some threads that the Sabi T1 handle fits it. I've only had luck in finding the razor in Amazon but I'm looking for the shorter handle in 3 inch(which I prefer). They only have the 4 inch version it seems on amazon.Have you come across it online at all?
That handle's never interested me, too heavy and I don't like the design, sorry. Getting 3" handles is a real PITA these days (unlike the good ol' days of Gillette)... heavyweight vaulting poles seem to be the vogue.

Hey fellas! Let me start this off by saying I love my Fatip Grande...but I have always thought the aligning tabs where too big and goofy looking. So I decided to CASTRATE THEM! 😈 ...
You have been docked 50 style points.

Part of the charm of the Fatip is the old-school looks, IMHO. It's your call, though.

I've seen the Fatip Piccolo in nickel plating for as low as 14 euros, so that is cheap enough for spare parts.

Top Bottom