What's new

Have i found the perfect razor?

Still learning how to post. So this is definitely going to still be an addiction. So I was reading an interview with Above the Tie here and they seemed nice so I went to the site, and the very fist thing I see I absolutely must have. It's the thing I regret not getting with the original razor. The stainless steel stand! Except the one from. Thw site seems even cooler. I mean what's $65 dollars for a stand right?

Should I buy it? Hmmmmmm seems perfect.
I suggest taking a look around at various sites to make sure it is the one you want. There are several sites you can browse, such as West Coast Shaving, Captain's Choice, Stirling, and Maggards that have stands of various types. I keep looking at a Rex stand for one of my razors. Of course, you have to be careful when browsing these sites, as the next thing you know is you have an abundance of soaps, brushes, and other products added to your cart. 😂

Haha, ok I plowed through the entire thread just to make sure I was first:

Hi everyone I am new.

Hi new.
(Sorry, it had to be done.)

It looks like you're perfectly happy with your Feather. Having joined this forum you will be unable to restrain yourself from buying other new or vintage stuff.

For me though, nothing beats my grail razor (Edwin Jagger DE89).
Infact, having other options actually annoys the living daylight out of me.
They're laying there, in my bathroom cupboard luring me - calling out to me, asking me to use them.
Everytime I cave and use them I am left with dissapointment.

For some reason though I can't seem to stop browsing Ebay, Etsy and shaving webshops looking for another great catch.
I try spending less time on here, it's addictive, expensive and it's driving my wife crazy.
But it's also fun, in a way I still don't comprehend.

Until TEDALUS Essence razor appeared ;)
The little crossbar that could potentially damage the blade if the razor is fully closed is a deal breaker for me. I salivated over the razor through the entire creative process but am not interested in it until they fix that problem. I choose Western-style shavettes over kamisori-style razors because I like to close the razor, protecting both the blade's cutting edge and people's fingers.
Maybe if they make a version 2 that addresses this issue, it will become the world's best replaceable-blade straight, but for now, it is still playing second fiddle no matter how well it shaves.
JMO, YMMV, and all that.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

First, CONGRATULATIONS!! You picked a great razor that will last forever.

Second, it is on the very mild end of the spectrum so you can find more aggressive razors but you are not likely to find anything milder.

You do have a brush, right? Was it the VDH boar? If so...are you soaking the bristles for 5 or 10 minutes before building lather? A decent brush is important to take advantage of your PAA soap that you bought.

Amazing soap, by the way
I do have the original brush from the set. It's synthetic. I di let it sit in hot water some

First, CONGRATULATIONS!! You picked a great razor that will last forever.

Second, it is on the very mild end of the spectrum so you can find more aggressive razors but you are not likely to find anything milder.
Mild just means if I ever happen to cut myself it won't be bad rigjt? Sounds like what I want. I can't imagine anything cutting hair better. Well mine anyway. One swipe fast and smooth. That's what I want. This does that.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mild just means if I ever happen to cut myself it won't be bad rigjt? Sounds like what I want. I can't imagine anything cutting hair better. Well mine anyway. One swipe fast and smooth. That's what I want. This does that.

The terms mild and aggressive don't mean anything to me. Well, they might in context and certainly do when the person using the terms defines the term.

11-1-21.CM1.CopperManZenith.Vitos.640.JPG

For instance, one of my favorite new razors is the ATT Windsor CM1 baseplate coupled with the ATT Windsor Pro SS cap and the ATT Atlas handle. The CM plate is available under returns and under ugly. I bought the cap with the SS SB90, but much the same cap is available on the aluminum SB90 (see ugly and new). I am not trying to get you to buy this stuff. In fact, I advise against it.

My CM1 combo is a mild razor. That means it's incredibly smooth feeling on my skin as well as being easy to use and not at all prone to biting me. It's also relatively less efficient than many razors. For me, that mean I have to do more work to get a very smooth and long lasting shave. However, some days I'm not so interested in a very smooth and long lasting shave; what I sometimes want is an easy shave which is better than socially acceptable and will get me by.

I always want a Damn Comfortable Shave meaning a shave which is all three of these.
  1. Comfortable during the shave.
  2. Comfortable immediately after the shave.
  3. Comfortable until the next shave.
There are mild razors which to me are not likely to give me a DCS because I have to do too much work with them to get a decently close shave. The ASD2 for me falls in that category without a Feather blade. (And a Feather blade doesn't give me a DCS.)

There are far more efficient razors which give me a DCS and a long lasting shave, but they might be entirely wrong for you.

The trick is finding a razor which gives you a comfortable and otherwise suitable shave.

Any razor, including the ASD2, can cut you, but some are much more prone to letting blood escape than others.

If you love the ASD2 you don't need to keep looking. It's a great razor if it works for you.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The terms mild and aggressive don't mean anything to me. Well, they might in context and certainly do when the person using the terms defines the term.

View attachment 1358893

For instance, one of my favorite new razors is the ATT Windsor CM1 baseplate coupled with the ATT Windsor Pro SS cap and the ATT Atlas handle. The CM plate is available under returns and under ugly. I bought the cap with the SS SB90, but much the same cap is available on the aluminum SB90 (see ugly and new). I am not trying to get you to buy this stuff. In fact, I advise against it.

My CM1 combo is a mild razor. That means it's incredibly smooth feeling on my skin as well as being easy to use and not at all prone to biting me. It's also relatively less efficient than many razors. For me, that mean I have to do more work to get a very smooth and long lasting shave. However, some days I'm not so interested in a very smooth and long lasting shave; what I sometimes want is an easy shave which is better than socially acceptable and will get me by.

I always want a Damn Comfortable Shave meaning a shave which is all three of these.
  1. Comfortable during the shave.
  2. Comfortable immediately after the shave.
  3. Comfortable until the next shave.
There are mild razors which to me are not likely to give me a DCS because I have to do too much work with them to get a decently close shave. The ASD2 for me falls in that category without a Feather blade. (And a Feather blade doesn't give me a DCS.)

There are far more efficient razors which give me a DCS and a long lasting shave, but they might be entirely wrong for you.

The trick is finding a razor which gives you a comfortable and otherwise suitable shave.

Any razor, including the ASD2, can cut you, but some are much more prone to letting blood escape than others.

If you love the ASD2 you don't need to keep looking. It's a great razor if it works for you.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks. That helps. There are several factors that make me think I am calling this perfect. Not just mild. Also the top where edges aren't exposed is certainly nice. The three piece vs buttfly is far superior. Also that grippy handle. Wow that's a feature I didn't know I would love so much.

I can over collect sometimes and so I bought this to just buy the best and not go in a razor spending spree Also. I am amazed that worked as I can't imagine it really getting much better but eventually I will get more.

I did try a straight razor , but tok scary gave away.

Haha, ok I plowed through the entire thread just to make sure I was first:

Hi new.
(Sorry, it had to be done.)

It looks like you're perfectly happy with your Feather. Having joined this forum you will be unable to restrain yourself from buying other new or vintage stuff.

For me though, nothing beats my grail razor (Edwin Jagger DE89).
Infact, having other options actually annoys the living daylight out of me.
They're laying there, in my bathroom cupboard luring me - calling out to me, asking me to use them.
Everytime I cave and use them I am left with dissapointment.

For some reason though I can't seem to stop browsing Ebay, Etsy and shaving webshops looking for another great catch.
I try spending less time on here, it's addictive, expensive and it's driving my wife crazy.
But it's also fun, in a way I still don't comprehend.
I understand. Having found the perfect razor and blade combo. Cause feather honestly really does need that blade and reviews with out it can't see the difference.
So the Feather razor isn't the best razor necessarily. It certainly isnthe perfect shave for my actual purposes though with the Feather blade.

I think I will have fun testing soaps and creams .

Find a decent razor that's good but mid range and test blades. Blades store easy and there are so many. Collect blades not razors as I have the perfect thing.

Is the perfect shave for my purposes when using feather blades. I don't know how to edit . Sorry.
I think all reviews that don't use feather blades with the ASD2 miss the whole point and rigged the review kinda.

That's a whole thread but idk could be asking for trouble to make that thread. It's relevant to this thread though I think

There's other blades that are very near Feathers' sharpness (kai, permasharp).

If you're looking to try something new those might be a good bet.

The Edit button doesn't always appear on my phone either, I'm not sure why.
When I was adding info I split my paragraphs in a manner that ummmmm...... lol

Sorry about the comment, attempt at humor. Believe it or not, things are pretty fun around here with any engaged newbie. We REALLY like talking about shaving.

One trick with the forum is click and drag to highlight a specific sentence that you want to reply to. You will get a pop up for reply or quote. Quote allows you snip several different sentences, even from different posts and put them in your reply post. It might take some trial and error. Also with photos, you have to wait for them to upload and not rush them. Then, select thumbnail so things don't take up too much space. When somebody clicks the thumbnail, they get a full size image.

Wow! So you took that advice of buy once cry once to heart, didn't you? The razor you have is a fine one and you won't need another. But we're all more than happy to suggest wants. Since you've got your perfect for you setup (and you're the only one it has to be perfect for) now might be a good time to wander down the creams and soaps rabbit holes. Assuming of course you have a decent representation of synthetic, boar, and badger brushes.

Wow! So you took that advice of buy once cry once to heart, didn't you? The razor you have is a fine one and you won't need another. But we're all more than happy to suggest wants. Since you've got your perfect for you setup (and you're the only one it has to be perfect for) now might be a good time to wander down the creams and soaps rabbit holes. Assuming of course you have a decent representation of synthetic, boar, and badger brushes.
I have a YOAI brush and want to try soaps

So I changed out the old blade after 7. TBH the Feather is kinda just still too sharp on the first shave. I got some irritation. It did go away pretty fast after I got out of shower, but to me what I really want is perfect on first and maybe second then toss the blade and start new every shave.

Voskhod wasn't that. I didn't think silver blue was, but I think the 100 I bought of that wasn't their usual quality cause I really liked the sample ones but didn't like the ones from the 100 pack.

So yay blade sampling with my razor sound like a good idea.

Top Bottom