What's new

Have I buggered my LeGrelot 1/4 Grind ?

I was shaving tonight before dinner, blood sugar low, baby screaming, dog getting into trouble ...

Was rinsing the razor under the tap and accidentally knocked it on the faucet .... grrrr.

Could the likes of Lynn Abrams fix this for me ?

I'm not an expert, but I think that any of the honemeisters could easily fix this for you. It should be a bevel reset until fresh steel and then a sharpen.

I'm sure one of the more experienced members will be along shortly to give you their opinion.

On the positive side, at least the extraneous movement was not when the razor was against your face or throat.

Easily! If you don't know anyone in your neighborhood who hones his razors, send it to a reputable honemeister and he will gladly re-hone it for you.

That doesn't look that bad. I dropped one of my Le Grelot's recently on the tile in my bathroom and had a bad chip and it came right out after some time on a DMT 600. Lost a little bit of size but it came out just fine.

Just find yourself a knowledgeable person that can do it for you.

That is so small that it's easy for a skilled honer to remove.
It shouldn't affect the razors performance much at all.

I'm not an expert, but I think that any of the honemeisters could easily fix this for you. It should be a bevel reset until fresh steel and then a sharpen.

I'm sure one of the more experienced members will be along shortly to give you their opinion.

On the positive side, at least the extraneous movement was not when the razor was against your face or throat.

yes sir, a honer can fix this for you. On another note I often use a tissue to clean the lather off my blade while shaving. My blade now hardly ever touches water by rinsing.

That's a relief, thank you gents.

I used to wipe the lather off on a towel, but my wife would complain about all my whiskers on the towels ! I shave once a week right now and as you guys know a straight is the most effective way to get through that kind of growth. But that's a lot of whiskers !

I will need to rethink my process and will send this LeGrelot (got from Rasupur) and while I'm shipping I'll likely include my unhoned B&B LeGrelot to Lynn for some TLC.

Thanks again,
Ron

I've done something similar to one of my razors and it was just a matter of honing it out. It actually isn't too much effort and I'm not a honemeister. Next time, use a dedicated towel to spare yourself a similar experience.

A sponge or a damp, folded, small towel works wonders.
And could save you from doing a very expensive mistake.

Can I just warn people to be careful when using a sponge to wipe their razor. I did on Saturday and cut a fairly deep gash in my finger. I think that the sponge was softer than I thought and I applied too much pressure to it and my finger folded under the blade as I was wiping it clean. No one to blame except my own stupidity but it's easily done. I could have probably done with a stitch or two in it but I put a gauze pad on it and wrapped it tightly in tape and although it still throbs it seems to be OK.

proxy.php

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Can I just warn people to be careful when using a sponge to wipe their razor. I did on Saturday and cut a fairly deep gash in my finger. I think that the sponge was softer than I thought and I applied too much pressure to it and my finger folded under the blade as I was wiping it clean. No one to blame except my own stupidity but it's easily done. I could have probably done with a stitch or two in it but I put a gauze pad on it and wrapped it tightly in tape and although it still throbs it seems to be OK.

proxy.php

I think I should get a new student... :lol:

I was shaving tonight before dinner, blood sugar low, baby screaming, dog getting into trouble ...

Was rinsing the razor under the tap and accidentally knocked it on the faucet .... grrrr.

Could the likes of Lynn Abrams fix this for me ?

Not a problem, it can be fixed.

I'll take a different view, however. I don't think the problem is rinsing the razor under the tap. I've done it for years without incident. You defined the cause of this mishap in the first sentence of your post. How is anyone going to enjoy a shave with all that?

That sure looks familiar, did that to my Dovo special and it looked almost exactly like that,and since i had a new set of nani's that i was itching to try i gave it a go and was able to remove that in no time. also managed to get the razor pretty dull so also got a crash course in honing, i think it took about a half a dozen trips to the stones but in the end all worked out well and found it to be very satisfying to undo my blunders.

Ian

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
:frown2::cryin:

what ever happened to the good old B&B sense of humour? Why, back in The Day, this thread would be crawling with "oh man you ruined your razor send it to me for proper disposal" posts.

But now, everyone's so serious about trying to actually help the guy. sheesh. :001_rolle

:frown2::cryin:

what ever happened to the good old B&B sense of humour? Why, back in The Day, this thread would be crawling with "oh man you ruined your razor send it to me for proper disposal" posts.

But now, everyone's so serious about trying to actually help the guy. sheesh. :001_rolle
They are just doing it for spite, giving him false hope of being able to save it.
O no, that thing is dangerous just having around the house.
Think of the children involved :blink:

Seriously, to the OP.

That thing is ruined. Wasted.
But since I'm a Good Man, I'll help you out. Just send it to me & I'll send you a good, brand spanking new ZEEPK instead.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
That thing is ruined. Wasted.
But since I'm a Good Man, I'll help you out. Just send it to me & I'll send you a good, brand spanking new ZEEPK instead.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Now that's the B&B spirit!!

:thumbup::thumbup:

Top Bottom