What's new

Have blade, will travel

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
As this hobby gets increasingly out of hand, I've begun to run into trouble figuring out how old my blades are. When I used one (ha!) razor, it was simply a matter of remembering when I last changed it. However, now that I'm using roughly 10-12 razors on a regular basis, tracking the blade's age has become rather daunting.

After finding myself in some unenviable positions (Hmm, is that feather on it's second or sixth shave? Let's see....oooph!), I decided to do something that I'm sure sounds completely wacky, but works for me. Now, when I finish shaving, I remove the blade and place it into the razor I intend to use tomorrow. Simple. I know this doesn't take into account the fact that I use different brands of blades, but it's still much easier overall. I just have to remember that it's shave 2, 3, or 4 for a single Derby or Feather, or shave 2 or 3 for an IP, which I trash after the third shave.

Additionally, I've always worried that after whatever protective coating is washed/scraped off with the initial shave, the blade will deteriorate rapidly even if it's not used. I know I have to treat my carbon steel knives with camelllia oil when not in use. My blades no longer will sit in a razor for a month or two, waiting for their turn.

Feel free to tell me how ridiculous this is.

I open and spray my blades with "Parks Shave Ease" it's a lubricating spray for electric shaver. I started out several years ago using it to displace the water on my Mach3 cartridges (didn't want to use WD40) and found that it made them last twice as long (slows down oxidation of the edge?) So since I made the switch to DE razors and have 9 in my bathroom racks plus my Headblade I shake the water out, blow the rest of the water out with canned air (from the computer store) then spray the blades with Shavers Ease. Bob.

Ouch,

While my RAD has not taken as badly as SCAD, I've found the best thing for me to do is to use a single razor for the whole week (ie, until the blade is played).

I'm not experienced enough yet to go from razor to razor on a daily basis and really need to get the learning curve going, so I use the same razor for the entire life of the blade.

I'm to the point I stick with one razor for the week, with straights intermingled in. That makes it easy for me.

Randy

...same school of thought here. I usually stick with a single razor for the duration of a blade.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If I wanted to use a single razor for a whole week, I'd have one razor. The thought of not being able to change razors daily is anathema to me.:001_rolle

ouch said:
If I wanted to use a single razor for a whole week, I'd have one razor. The thought of not being able to change razors daily is anathema to me.:001_rolle

I hear that; I don't know which razor I'm going to pick, and sometime I'll switch razors in the middle of a shave.

Top Bottom