What's new

have been blessed

not supposed to work that way but who am I to question? wind was wrong, blowing their way, etc.

I saw the doe that sneaked by me too late.......look back at the hill and here he comes.

I'm greatful today.

20191109_104825.jpg

170 lbs dressed. some I process myself. this one I decided to take to the amish and take it easy on myself. life gets no better.

I'm spent now.

camo

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice 6 point! and great shot. What rifle were you using?

I hear ya about processing...If I get a hog or something I'm taking it to the meat processing plant to do the dirty work. I get tired of skinning, quartering, and cutting up the meat. I'll let them do it. They have a whole crew to work on it.

What state are you in?

I hear ya about processing...If I get a hog or something I'm taking it to the meat processing plant to do the dirty work. I get tired of skinning, quartering, and cutting up the meat. I'll let them do it. They have a whole crew to work on it.

What state are you in?

crossbow. I spent 20 plus years compound hunting. about two years ago I made the decision to start using the crossbow.

indiana corn and bean fed buck. although they seem to really like the invasive honeysuckle a lot here as a primary food.

firearms season opens up this coming saturday.

camo

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
indiana corn and bean fed buck. although they seem to really like the invasive honeysuckle a lot here as a primary food.

firearms season opens up this coming saturday.

Yeah, they like honeysuckle. So do I. I like pulling the bottom of the stem off of the flower and licking the sweet stuff from the bulb that comes out. Been doing that since I was a kid. Although honeysuckle can strangle a fence. Chain saw.

Regular gun season opened a week ago here and runs through the middle of January. Been hearing a few shots around here.

A little doe getting her nose through the bushes and eating on the honeysuckle growing on the backyard fence this summer. I named her Zoe. I'm waiting on a buck to show up during rut.

1573447340959.png

good luck getting after them.

guess i should specify the plant type here. it actually an invasive plant called "Asian bush honeysuckle."

th.jpeg-1.jpg

stays small or can grow up 12 to14 ish feet if it has room. chokes out everything inside of timbered area. spreads like wildfire. on the bright side there is not much multi flora rose left that the state introduced when I was young.

in the picture I posted....deer is laying on one that is inside the timbers. that bush will stay small. canopy above tames its size some.

camo

What state are you in?

Curious, how much does that cost?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Curious, how much does that cost?

Depends on what you have done and which processing plant you use.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My dad was a butcher at one time. Man, do I miss him during butchering. But my wife can clean a rabbit faster than anyone alive. Now you know why I call her the War Department!

That's a beauty, @camoloc , and @simon1 : those prices are pretty fair.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My dad was a butcher at one time. Man, do I miss him during butchering. But my wife can clean a rabbit faster than anyone alive. Now you know why I call her the War Department!

That's a beauty, @camoloc , and @simon1 : those prices are pretty fair.

Cobb's is the one I usually use, but the last time the ranch manager gave us a pig we used this one as that was where they were taking theirs. I worked in packing houses for a few years but that place was like the Keystone Kops. They loaded it in the back of my truck and when I got home there was no sausage, no hams, etc. I went back and they found the rest of it, but they had put the sausage tubes up in the freezer and forgot about it. It took them about 30 minutes to find the sausage.

Speaking of pigs...saw some turkey buzzards circling over the front pasture this morning...like the classic western movies. Walked out to see what it was and it was one of the damn wild pigs. Good eating sized...about 100 pounds or less, but had already started to bloat. Must have gotten hit on the road last night and made it about 60 yards into the pasture. No pictures. After the vultures have been after something for awhile it's not pretty.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Cobb's is the one I usually use, but the last time the ranch manager gave us a pig we used this one as that was where they were taking theirs. I worked in packing houses for a few years but that place was like the Keystone Kops. They loaded it in the back of my truck and when I got home there was no sausage, no hams, etc. I went back and they found the rest of it, but they had put the sausage tubes up in the freezer and forgot about it. It took them about 30 minutes to find the sausage.

Speaking of pigs...saw some turkey buzzards circling over the front pasture this morning...like the classic western movies. Walked out to see what it was and it was one of the damn wild pigs. Good eating sized...about 100 pounds or less, but had already started to bloat. Must have gotten hit on the road last night and made it about 60 yards into the pasture. No pictures. After the vultures have been after something for awhile it's not pretty.
Oh man, your link and it's name reminds of the story that my buddy told me about working in a processing plant in Detroit. Definitely not fit for posting. Let's just say it involves shooting rats in the alley and foreign co-workers and grudges and cleavers!

Top Bottom