What's new

Have anyone ordered from this seller?

Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush Hair Knot Head DIY Wet Shave Tool 21- 25mm Handle | eBay

Or can you recommend a source for badger knots? I want to put a nice knot in this handle that I just finished restoring, and want it to be a good badger one. It fits a 22mm knot easily.

IMG_2211.jpgIMG_2212.jpgIMG_2213.jpg

Depends on what you are after. At the moment Maggard is my favorite two band finest, but I like them best when they are 26mm or bigger. I have a 24mm and it is nice enough, but not as special as the 26mm Maggard knotted brushes I have.

I use a lot of ACE or Virginia Sheng knots, both finest and silvertip. If I owned that handle I would probably use an ACE silvertip.

Whipped Dog's high mountain (a form of finest) and silvertip are also good choices.

And also consider a finest from The Golden Nib.

Do you want the backbone of a finest or the softness of a silvertip?

Depends on what you are after. At the moment Maggard is my favorite two band finest, but I like them best when they are 26mm or bigger. I have a 24mm and it is nice enough, but not as special as the 26mm Maggard knotted brushes I have.

I use a lot of ACE or Virginia Sheng knots, both finest and silvertip. If I owned that handle I would probably use an ACE silvertip.

Whipped Dog's high mountain (a form of finest) and silvertip are also good choices.

And also consider a finest from The Golden Nib.

Do you want the backbone of a finest or the softness of a silvertip?

Good advice, although you lost me on your last question. Thing is, I don't have too much experience with Badgers. In fact, I have close to nothing. I only own a very old, but soft, pure badger 500PBT ever-ready, and that's it. So I have nothing to compare it to. All my other brushes are either synthetic or boar and one old horsehair that I got in a lot I purchased a few weeks ago.

So, if I understand what you are asking, sounds to me that finest is not as soft as silvertip, but more rigid like a boar. Am I right?

I also need to get my lathering technique right, since I'm pretty good lathering with a synthetic, but I struggle a bit with boar brushes, particularly if not broken in completely. And I was this close to cut the knot of my pure badger and replace it because I thought it was no good, but now that you asked, it gets me thinking that it might well be that the badger is not bad at all, but I must change the way I lather.

Thanks for the help.

Another question. I think I can sand off the hole and make room for a 24mm knot. Do you think that is a good idea, or it might risk impacting the handle structure?

A finest approaches the stiffness of a boar so it is more like a boar, but it still isn't like a boar.

I have opened up several handles to take a larger knot using a Dremel drum sander. That one looks like you could.

A finest approaches the stiffness of a boar so it is more like a boar, but it still isn't like a boar.

I have opened up several handles to take a larger knot using a Dremel drum sander. That one looks like you could.
Got it. I think I'll order a 24mm silvertip for this handle. I'll start working on the drum sander. I believe there is a lot of room.

After too much thought, I ended up ordering a 24mm Maggard Razor's 2 band badger, as they are closer to finest, and I do appreciate some backbone, since I do a lot of face lathering, and I mostly use hard soaps. I'll show the results once its ready.

Just a quick update on how everything ended up. The knot is simply awesome. Is Huge!!! I'm still waiting the 24 hour period that the RTV silicon will take to dry, but I'm surely going to shave tomorrow with it.

I even added a couple of rare earth magnets to the bottom of the handle, and a few pennies, so it has a nice weight, and I can hang it knot down on my bathroom metal grilled shelves. Or it can also be used to pick up blades from the sink, so pretty handy.

Just love it. Thanks for the tips, guys.

IMG_2991.JPG IMG_7777.JPG IMG_7990.JPG IMG_8012.JPG

Top Bottom