What's new

Have all premium synthetic brush makes switched to the G5A?

The G5C definitely does not come from Frank Shaving. While the knots look similar the feel is vastly different as I’ve used both. Their “G7” is an attempt to look like they’ve done something different when they’ve just put together a rather scrubby knot that isn’t really an upgrade on anything in my opinion.

The STF also uses different fibres from the G5A just putting that out there for clarity as I sifted through this thread.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for clarifying STF vs G5A.

What about STF vs MiG? Is MiG basically a non-muhle STF? Or something completely different?

Also, I just want to add that the G7 is very sensitive to loft, like most synthetic brushes.
The large glue bumps have ruined the G7 knot.
The G7 set similar to the STF without a glue bump is one of the nicest knots I've ever used!

What about STF vs MiG? Is MiG basically a non-muhle STF? Or something completely different?
I'll defer to Andrew's expertise, so will only say if blindfolded you could tell them apart. In broad terms the current MiG feels more "muscular" while the STF is more "delicate," the result I suppose from the different fiber thickness. Both have soft tips, medium backbone, and lather equally well.

I'll defer to Andrew's expertise, so will only say if blindfolded you could tell them apart. In broad terms the current MiG feels more "muscular" while the STF is more "delicate," the result I suppose from the different fiber thickness. Both have soft tips, medium backbone, and lather equally well.
This is honestly a fantastic description, but to answer your question @nav they indeed feel different. The MiG has straighter hairs, more or a cohesive feel to it, whereas the STF you get individual fiber feel, more “wavy hairs”, with it’s exquisite softness

All I will say is that I love both my MiG and STF knots from AP Shave (both in AP Shave handles, of course). They are more similar than different. In true B&B fashion, I recommend that people try both.

I will add that most “big brands” have actually begun using the STF style fibers (less backbone) rather the G5A style fibers (more backbone). Edwin Jagger, Plisson, Dovo, St. James of London, etc. all look like STFs not G5As to me.

As to the MiG, I like its hybrid knot shape, so that's a plus in my book. My only nitpicks are wishing its fibers were a bit longer as I prefer the smaller size and color of the 24mm to the 26, but can't get the loft where I want it on the smaller knot without the metal collar encasing the glue base crashing the party. So I've accommodated the larger knot since its loft as set by Andrew works great.

Last edited:
As to the MiG, I like its hybrid knot shape, so that's a plus in my book. My only nitpicks are wishing its fibers were a bit longer as I prefer the smaller size and color of the 24mm to the 26, but can't get the loft where I want it on the smaller knot without the metal collar encasing the glue base crashing the party. So I've accommodated the larger knot since its loft as set by Andrew works great.
Question- I was thinking about getting a 24 mm MiG as I prefer the 24 mm size knot, but the experience you described gives me pause. Can you explain it in another way? Could this be solved by using a different handle or different depth of the handle hole?

Question- I was thinking about getting a 24 mm MiG as I prefer the 24 mm size knot, but the experience you described gives me pause. Can you explain it in another way? Could this be solved by using a different handle or different depth of the handle hole?
Andrew managed a loft of ~49mm, the highest he could set it before the plug started to show, with the 24mm MiG knot in one of his clear handles. To me the bloom looked and felt constricted; it certainly felt scrubbier and was harder to splay than I like. The 26mm, OTOH, just opened up into a whole different brush.

I can't speak to other handles or hole depths, so recommend contacting him at APShaveCo. He'll be able to explain the situation and your options better than I can. Good luck.

Just for sharing knowledge, I wanted to post up the difference in older VS current Muhle STF fibres.

Background: I've been using STF brushes for many years and have experienced 5 variations of fibres.

My current, and favourite, STF is from ~2019.
The fibre is less tapered at the tips. This characteristic, along with the way Muhle produces the knots with various shaped fibres, really makes the brush feel and behave like a silvertip badger!

In the photo below, it's quite clear the current STF (left) looks very different to my older STF (right).

Beyond looks, the tips are tapered to a finer point and whilst it's still a lovely knot, it tends to feel a bit more like a very soft synth rather than a silvertip badger.

IMG_20231009_103243.jpg
IMG_20231009_103255.jpg
IMG_20231009_103315.jpg
IMG_20231009_103340.jpg

Top Bottom