What's new

Hate the top notes but love the dry down?

Has this ever happened with anyone else: You hate the opening/top notes of a scent, but really likes the way the scent dries down on you.

I'm having this problem with Penhaligon's Racquets. Immediately upon putting it on, I am reminded of Raid bug spray....but I just love the way it eventually settles down on my skin.

Anyone else have this problem with other scents?

I'm really debating on whether or not to keep this scent.

--Dennis

For me it's Grey Flannel.

Pungent, almost nasty top notes. Luckily it dries down in about 15 minutes and when it does it smells great.

Yes. Kouros.

Dirty/earthy smelling topnotes that eventually evolve into a drydown that makes women go into heat.

+1. Kouros has a wild opening, but it has a great drydown. I don't wear it too much - and when I do, it's just a very light application.

I don't really like the opening of Antaeus, but love how it settles.

Caron Yatagan: although the top is interesting (and I like the celery/wormwood notes), the dry down is better as it evolves after 30 minutes or so.

That's pretty common occurance. I tend to disregard the top notes since they're usually only around a little while.

I would never wear Kouros if I judged it solely on the top notes- it's horrific.
But the dry down is great.

I also love Racquets. Don't give the opening a lot of thought since it just kicks *** all day long with what it shifts into.

Has this ever happened with anyone else: You hate the opening/top notes of a scent, but really likes the way the scent dries down on you.

I'm having this problem with Penhaligon's Racquets. Immediately upon putting it on, I am reminded of Raid bug spray....but I just love the way it eventually settles down on my skin.

Anyone else have this problem with other scents?

I'm really debating on whether or not to keep this scent.

--Dennis
I feel the same way about Racquets, except the bug spray part. I find it too insense-y and resinous in the top notes. But the drydown is a pefect concoction of powder, soap, and musk.

Loooooooooooooooove it!

I bought a bottle of Guerlain Habit Rouge and when I first applied it, there was an awful note (which I believe is cedar) that put me right off. After 10 mins , however, it faded and the scent was really nice.
I now know to apply this one about 20mins before I go out.

Pete

I bought a bottle of Guerlain Habit Rouge and when I first applied it, there was an awful note (which I believe is cedar) that put me right off. After 10 mins , however, it faded and the scent was really nice.

Pete

Wow, Pete, that is so strange! I hardly notice the cedar at all. In fact, when I first spray Habit Rouge, it's like I've been doused with vanilla. I guess it's body chemistry making the difference.

Pete

I'm not sure what the Habit Rouge open is, heavy citrus and vanilla I think.
It is a bit odd. But I love what it mellows into.

I think it's a big mistake to judge any of scents on the opening. Often has so little to do with how the scent will smell over the course of the day.

I prefer to read up on stuff and see what the overall consensus is and then sample. I've bought too many turkeys and walked away from too many gems based on those in store quick sniffs.

Wow, Pete, that is so strange! I hardly notice the cedar at all. In fact, when I first spray Habit Rouge, it's like I've been doused with vanilla. I guess it's body chemistry making the difference.

The note I'm detecting may well not be cedar, my nose is not overly sophisticated, but there is certainly something in the top notes which i find disagreeable.

Pete

I have a bottle of T&H Freshman. Topnotes of citronella are a bit too much for me, but they quickly fade and I'm left with a scent that lasts all day.

Top Bottom