What's new

Hat time

sheppard, barry and i have several hats...most of which are made by Art Fawcett, 100% beaver custom built....

it is like can goo to shave with compared to trumper/taylors/momma bear and SCS....

my panama hats comes from robert of www.panama.biz check out his latest specials.... http://www.panamas.biz/SpecialsJune

i also recommend steve delk, while i never have owned one of his hats, i have seen and felt his workmanship...he can make anything however he is known for his raiders of the lost arc hats....that are exact replica of the real thing...search Adventurebuilt hats...

there are a few other hatters out there that i may not be familiar with and there are a couple of new ones that have appeared at the fedora lounge, that i hear good things about...

i know who to stay away from...that is Charlie Swindall AKA the Gladhatter...google his name and you will find a long list of forums post against his business practices and products, plus not to forget he has been kicked off nearly every forum on the internet, including this one.

but back to the hats....i don;t go outside without one....any season of the year...i am looking for sun protection with my half bald head and now that i have worn one for over a year and half, people expect to see me in a hat now...

here is my art fawcett "the Tucker" named after Preston Tucker of the famed Tucker automobile...

full

i am presently wearing a Monticristi from Panamabob with a blue bow for the summer....i love this hat so much i haven't rotated it all....

hpe you enjoy...

mark tssb

Last edited by a moderator:
my panama hats comes from robert of www.panama.biz check out his latest specials.... http://www.panamas.biz/SpecialsJune

I just got one of his hats, based on the recommendation earlier in this thread [correction: Mark mentioned it in the summer hats thread]. I have to say, at $17.88 (on eBay, where he had my size) I know this is one of the cheapest hats he sells, but it's shockingly better than the Panama Jack that I got on vacation once. It's really a nice hat and a great value for the money; I can only imagine what his better quality hats are like.

Yeah, I got a view of my bald spot the other day (I always figured if I can't see it, it's not really there) when the barber held the mirror up and I decided I'd better get another hat. I told my wife I ordered sunblock.

Yes! I have alot of hats, but my favorite is my Jacaru "Wild Roo" Kangaroo leather hat. It is the toughest hat on the planet and it breathes easy and has never let me down!

-DP

I almost always wear a hat when going out. I've a lot of them, for all seasons and not a baseball cap in the bunch. Tweed flat caps, and a couple Irish walking hats for the autumn and winter, including two deerstalkers. An Akubra Snowy River, and a 3x Stetson. An Open Road, Dunhill navy blue fedora, Cervo Alba in iron grey, an old brown fedora, and two old grey fedoras. Two Tilleys, a LT6 and a LH5. Quite a few straws, but no really good Panama. Also some railroad caps and a couple Army surplus boonie hats for working in the garden.

As a cowboy action shooter, I have many western hats. Last year at End of Trail, I got fitted(conformer?) by Smitty from the Colorado Mountain Hat Company. Got him to make me a 100%, black beaver pelt hat for me. It is fantastic!!! If you are looking for a custom hat I sure would recommend talking to Smitty.

To my point: God only made a few perfect ones and the rest he covered with hair. So why do you want to wear a hat?

To my point: God only made a few perfect ones and the rest he covered with hair. So why do you want to wear a hat?

For those of us with less than perfect coverage on top, it helps avoid a very unpleasant sunburn. Other times it shades the eyes (I definitely have to wear a brimmed hat when driving my convertible, partly for comfort but definitely for safety). Other times it provides rain protection. Or a place to park a fly if you're fly fishing.

But sometimes it's an accessory, plain and simple, like a cufflink or a tie clip. It can convey an attitude. And it can look great, so why not?

I picked up a few hats from Miller Hats (also at www.millerhats.com) in Houston early this year. I got a couple of nice looking hats, but what I really liked about them (I think I was talking to the owner) was that he was more interested in selling you a hat that you will like and wear than selling you an expensive hat.

I've got some kind of felt hat- not sure if it is a fedora but it is made out of felt with a thin leather band. I also have straw hats. I used to wear them all the time but since getting a scooter a while back I wear my helmet liner moreso. It looks sort of like a 'hood rag for your 'do or a Jewish yarmulke, somehere between the two. It does help keep the hair nice looking and of course sweat doesn't roll down your eyes as much- true for any hat.

Top Bottom