What's new

Hat of the Day!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Just a fun update on the ol' work hat replacement sweatband project.
1. Used a seam ripper to carefully remove the old one and study how they sewed it in - what's interesting is that the stiches are actually on the inner flap that make up the reed, so they don't go through the same holes that hold the sweatband to the reed.
It's also neat that the reed is a metal wire, not a thick plastic line like the new sweatband (and my fedoras).
View attachment 1495064

View attachment 1495065

2. Line up the new and old sweatbands and trim to equal length.
3. Sew the rear vertical seam on the new band, checking that it fits the hat cavity (as well as my noggin).
4. I could can see it's a just a series of lock stiches that go through the hat but are hidden by the outer hatband. Using fishing line explains why I could never see them. Looked too involved to try the same type of stitching as the original factory band, so I used the holes where the reed is attached to the sweatband (per online tutorials), and went through the old holes I could see under the hatband to keep things even/level.
I basically made a stich along the outside of the hat every 1/2-3/4', then a lock stich on the inside each time.
5. Done, and ready for more summer outdoor work! Not perfect, but I thought I would botch the whole thing, so I'm pretty pleased.
View attachment 1495068

It occurs to me this hat could be broken easily in it's old age, so I didn't spend all week on this, LOL.
But I recommend trying one of these $9 leather replacement Etsy bands if you need to do a similar repair.
Cheers!:a8:
Exquisite work sir!

I have about 25 different hats. In cooler weather, I'll wear my Custom Handmade Bowler or my Custom Double C Crown "Whippet" (both are made in Beaver Fur Felt). Mike Miller of Northwest Hats made both.

Today, I wore a wheat straw "Boater" with a black ribbon.

If you want a really great handmade custom hat at a reasonable price, contact Mike Miller at www.northwesthats.com.

Northwest Hat Company

870 Pearl Street,

Eugene, OR, 97401,

United States

541-515-0422

[email protected]

For a custom hatter, His work is exemplary and his prices are easy to live with. Mike knows me and treats me well. He makes all of his customers the most important people in his world... because they are!

Last edited:

tankerjohn

New hat day! 60’s vintage Cavanagh. 2” brim with a Cavanagh edge. Beautiful felt, very soft yet dense. Crown takes any crease, no steam. Just an exquisite hat. When people say vintage hats are much higher quality than modern, now you get it.
46FE2114-F4BA-461D-A76A-6FF4444F93F0.jpeg

D634C11F-01A5-4B5B-A124-E6C0C3AAFE98.jpeg

I cleaned it up and gave it a good brushing. The brim was a little floppy, so I wet it with distilled water and let it dry overnight to tighten the felt up (a hack I picked up on Fedora Lounge). Worked a treat to get the brim snapping down nicely.

I gave it a diamond bash to shorten and widen the crown, make it boxier. 2” is about as stingy as I can go on the brim and actually another 1/2” would look better on my round face. But I think it came great.

DCD1CDB8-299F-4A68-8994-15E42E2C2FEC.jpeg

Have a blessed Sunday!

I'm certainly jealous of you fine gents.
Some can wear hats and look great in them, others not so much. I'm the latter.

You look like you you just walked off a page of GQ magazine.

I enjoy the posts!

tankerjohn

I'm certainly jealous of you fine gents.
Some can wear hats and look great in them, others not so much. I'm the latter.

You look like you you just walked off a page of GQ magazine.

I enjoy the posts!
Thanks for the complement. I think you just need to find the right hat. Most everyone looks good in an basic Ivy-style flat cap; I'd start there if you're at all interested in getting into hats.

Thanks for the complement. I think you just need to find the right hat. Most everyone looks good in an basic Ivy-style flat cap; I'd start there if you're at all interested in getting into hats.

John,

You and I are "old school" gentlemen that learned to wear hats when they weren't "in vogue". My Bowlers are my "trademark" as well as my "one-of-a-kind" bespoke fedora. The double-"C" crown Whippet-style hat was bespoke for me by Mike Miller. www.northwesthats.com

Worn with a sports jacket, slacks, dress shirt, and dress shoes, the look garners admiring glances from the women and respect from the men.

You really have to love that!

Last edited:

tankerjohn

Akubra Campdraft today. I didn't take a picture, but I feel like I've posted plenty in the past couple weeks.

New hat came in today...from Goodwill. So not new, but new to me. Very old, in fact. Ratty and slightly motheaten, even. A real piece of work, but a very cool hat nonetheless. Needs some TLC and I'll see what I can make of it. To be continued...

John,

You and I are "old school" gentlemen that learned to wear hats when they weren't "in vogue". My Bowlers are my "trademark" as well as my "one-of-a-kind" bespoke fedora. The double-"C" crown Whippet-style hat was bespoke for me by Mike Miller. www.northwesthats.com

Worn with a sports jacket, slacks, dress shirt, and dress shoes, the look garners admiring glances from the women and respect from the men.

You really have to love that!

We would like to see that bowler. I’ve often considered one, but never been able to make the move

We would like to see that bowler. I’ve often considered one, but never been able to make the move
Mine is like this but in black. I had Mike shellac inside the crown with five separate layers of the product to make it a "Hard Coke" as they make them at Lock & Company in London. (As they did with the original bowlers in 1849).

1659579991494.png

Mike is currently four months out in orders. Bear in mind that this is a "bespoke" (custom) piece of headgear. It is made to fit YOU! Call Mike and give him your head measurement and get your order in ASAP.

As I write this pure Beaver Fur Felt hats are $399.00 USD + shipping.

On my honor, Mike Miller will provide you with "the most hat for your money". I will buy another "bespoke" hat from him again.

Count on it.

Last edited:
Out in the garden checking my cucuzze or "gagootz" as my grandfather used to call them. No flowers yet so no squash for the near future.
This was a Bay find from a seller in Omaha but was originally from Meyer The Hatter here in New Orleans.
When I was at Olè Hats in PR this paper towel hack was suggested to me. It protects the hat from sweat stains.

Attachments

• 20220804_091250.jpg
    20220804_091250.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220804_094521.jpg
    20220804_094521.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220804_094436.jpg
    20220804_094436.jpg
    915.2 KB · Views: 5

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've a worn-out Tilley hat, so old it has no internet address. It's an old friend. Recently, though, I was drawn to the MLE-49 French Indochina bush hat. (Mle-49 ‘Le Chapeau de Brousse’ ) This storied chapeau was worn by the French and later American advisors in SE Asia. It's sort of the father of our own boonie hat, is my guess. Service in French Foreign Legion and in Algeria, too.

dsfsdf.png

sdfffff.png

It's a decent copy. Labor intensive due to all that stitching. One snap on side, Aussie-rifle-carry-style. A few places sell the same foreign-made hat. Mine's been Scotchgarded/waterproofed ... I really like it. Very shapeable and versatile. Salty and something different.
This one from ... MLE-49 French Indochina & Algeria Bush Hat - https://www.sarcoinc.com/mle-49-french-indochina-algeria-bush-hat/

AA

Last edited:

tankerjohn

I've a worn-out Tilley hat, so old it has no internet address. It's an old friend. Recently, though, I was drawn to the MLE-49 French Indochina bush hat. (Mle-49 ‘Le Chapeau de Brousse’ ) This storied chapeau was worn by the French and later American advisors in SE Asia. It's sort of the father of our own boonie hat, is my guess. Service in French Foreign Legion and in Algeria, too.

View attachment 1499248

View attachment 1499249

It's a decent copy. Labor intensive due to all that stitching. One snap on side, Aussie-rifle-carry-style. A few places sell the same foreign-made hat. Mine's been Scotchgarded/waterproofed ... I really like it. Very shapeable and versatile. Salty and something different.
This one from ... MLE-49 French Indochina & Algeria Bush Hat - https://www.sarcoinc.com/mle-49-french-indochina-algeria-bush-hat/

AA
Cool! And it’s the hat of one of my favorite G.I. Joes:
49F3FA3B-4A7B-4A86-9E9C-E311CEAE2982.jpeg

tankerjohn

Mine is like this but in black. I had Mike shellac inside the crown with five separate layers of the product to make it a "Hard Coke" as they make them at Lock & Company in London. (As they did with the original bowlers in 1849).

View attachment 1498982

Mike is currently four months out in orders. Bear in mind that this is a "bespoke" (custom) piece of headgear. It is made to fit YOU! Call Mike and give him your head measurement and get your order in ASAP.

As I write this pure Beaver Fur Felt hats are $399.00 USD + shipping.

On my honor, Mike Miller will provide you with "the most hat for your money". I will buy another "bespoke" hat from him again.

Count on it.
Very nice!

Top Bottom