What's new

Hat Etiquette

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Restaurants remain the biggest challenge. I have found that the maitre'd or waiter may have an out of the way place and will gladly store it for me. More casual places become more of a challenge, but I can usually find a window ledge, or someplace to keep it.

I find myself tending much more toward a flat cap rather than a full-brimmed hat, and one benefit is it's far easier to deal with in a restaurant. Thankfully, "Mad Men" has given way to "Peaky Blinders", so I still seem "with it".

Myself, I've had over two dozen Mohs surgeries and countless biopsies over the years. I always wear some type of headgear to protect my bald head. I would prefer a much wider brimmed hat but cars and restaurants are no longer designed for such head gear. If I wear a flat cap I can roll it and stuff it in my pocket when dining.
I wear a couple of Stetson crushables. If they get mashed, they bounce back.
5FE1FAAB-EA63-460F-BFEC-C5C7A62BCDD1.jpeg

Do you set your hat down with the crown up or crown down? I’ve always read it is correct to place your hat with the crown down, but when I do people always start throwing loose change in it.
I’ve heard both, but I always sit it down crown down. I’ll take their money if they throw it in. So far that hasn’t happened.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I do the hat removal in private spaces, but have never tipped or doffed, unless using it as an object to wave to someone some distance away. Knights haven't been around here for a few centuries, so any associations with lifting visors or removing helmets has been lost.

As for putting a hat down, I'll typically put it brim down, unless using it as a receptacle for dumping other stuff in, such as glasses case, or smoking tackle.

So all the ladies around the pool using a sun hat are rude?
And the guy wearing a Mexican sombrero in front of you inside the tour bus is not?

How odd 🤪

The rest makes sense though

You could extend holy places for some countries to the entire grounds. But they are used to tourists who either remove their hat going inside or they remember those who forget kindly.

I do the hat removal in private spaces, but have never tipped or doffed, unless using it as an object to wave to someone some distance away. Knights haven't been around here for a few centuries, so any associations with lifting visors or removing helmets has been lost.

As for putting a hat down, I'll typically put it brim down, unless using it as a receptacle for dumping other stuff in, such as glasses case, or smoking tackle.
Some of it still there

Removing your hat = helmet
Removing your sunglasses = visor
Showing your tie, company/club clothes = colors

😂 now that visor glasses part gets really complicated in covid times. Though anyone in a hazmat suits colors is pretty clear

So all the ladies around the pool using a sun hat are rude?
And the guy wearing a Mexican sombrero in front of you inside the tour bus is not?

How odd 🤪

The rest makes sense though

You could extend holy places for some countries to the entire grounds. But they are used to tourists who either remove their hat going inside or they remember those who forget kindly.
Ladies have a whole different set of rules for hats.

I’m curious about the statement to wear ones hat when “in motion.” When on an aircraft, you’re certainly moving. But I would treat it as a private space. You’ve paid for a ticket, you will be seated for an extended time, and probably drinking, eating, or even sleeping.

In the military (not the US armed forces) anyone that wore any kind of headgear indoors was taught the error of his ways in a way he was sure to remember for the rest of his life. Even today, thirty years later, I loathe the sight of caps worn indoors. Etiquette varies between countries, but where I come from wearing a hat indoors is considered to be extremely disrespectful.

Rarely wear a hat, sometimes if we are out walking and it's clear I will wear one, being a bit thin on top but I'm not a hat fan. I always feel sorry for the poor saps with baseball caps on backwards, how can you not figure out how a hat works?
The only time I will turn a cap around is when I’m using my camera. The bill gets in the way.

I don't wear a hat, it's just not who I am, although I have a real nice hand made Fedora, it's just not me. I feel much the same about wearing a basball cap. Some folks, I guess, can pull it off. To me, this is like wearing your club's jersey in public, stuff that a teenage boy can pull off, but not a grown up man.

I wear headgear, depending on the season and how cold (hot) it is outside.

I really like flat caps, so in moderately cold fall/winter, I wear my Harris Tweed flat cap and in spring / sumner, I wear a light, linen flat cap.

If it's freezing outside and I'm out in the woods, I'll be wearing a beanny and a hood on top.

All that being said, as @Polarbeard mentioned, I would never ever, under no circumstances wear any type of headwear indoors.

YMMV, to each his own, Yada, yada, yada..

Rarely wear a hat, sometimes if we are out walking and it's clear I will wear one, being a bit thin on top but I'm not a hat fan. I always feel sorry for the poor saps with baseball caps on backwards, how can you not figure out how a hat works?
The ones that really confused me was when visors were big in the late 90s. I'd see guys wear a visor backwards AND upside down. I always wondered if they were trying to catch rain....

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I always feel sorry for the poor saps with baseball caps on backwards, how can you not figure out how a hat works?

Well, there's along tradition of wearing hats in "stylish" ways. As Frank and Dino told Bing ... a hat's not a hat till it's tilted.

That said, it can be taken too far, too. (Alternative purpose ... I know some guys who would wear them backwards to protect the back of the neck from excess sun during manual labour.)

When on an aircraft, you’re certainly moving. But I would treat it as a private space.
Einstein's Relativity Theory as it Relates to Hats — I was napping during that lecture in school so I'm rusty.

Reverting to feral instincts I too assess the plane cabin as private space and remove my hat. I would wear it on the concourse up to and including boarding, after which off it comes.

In all I try not be too dogmatic about things, but find Rules of Thumb can be very handy to give a framework for evaluating each situation as it arises. In conclusion, Panama is a land of contrasts.

Top Bottom