What's new

Hat Etiquette

In the last few days, a discussion cropped up in another thread about proper etiquette for wearing hats. A little research turned up this page on the Gentleman’s Gazette.

I was always of the opinion that hats were off inside or when addressing a lady, and on outside. This gives a new slant on it.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Some 40 years back at my Grandmother’s funeral we drove to the cemetery I remember a little old fella in his 80s walking along the road, he stopped took his hat off and bowed in respect as the funeral procession past. I had held it together til then but this small act of respect broke me up.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I believe the public/private approach makes sense. In Texas, probably elsewhere, the gimme cap seems to have become a unique category, pretty much never leaving the wearer's head, never being tipped or doffed. It seems to be part of the uniform that just gets worn that way and generally goes unnoticed.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I believe the public/private approach makes sense. In Texas, probably elsewhere, the gimme cap seems to have become a unique category, pretty much never leaving the wearer's head, never being tipped or doffed. It seems to be part of the uniform that just gets worn that way and generally goes unnoticed.
Very much agreed. It's certainly like that here in upstate NY. Guys just never seem to take 'em off.

" If you’re in motion, your hat should remain on regardless of the method or openness of transportation. This harkens back to the days when transportation was pretty much all done out of doors, either walking, on horseback, or in an open carriage. Even though we have many new methods of transportation and a lot of them are enclosed, the tradition of keeping your hat on while you’re moving still remains in effect. "
I'd say this applies to elevators as well. The comment about an indoor stadium being considered a private space is one I would disagree with. At least in the sense of a hat. There's typically no where to keep it other than in your hands or on your head. Then again, since many at an indoor stadium are likely wearing baseball style caps with their team emblem on it, they probably don't care. In general, good article and fairly simple rules to follow.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm not a hat wearer, never have been with the exception being when the weather/climate dictates. That means outdoors - a "toboggan" in the frosty months, maybe something with a bill when out on the water early in the season. In neither case is it required indoors, and thus not worn. I'm reminded of a scene from the Soprano's when Tony confronts some putz wearing a baseball cap in a nice restaurant ..

If there's any doubt take the hat off

I'm not a hat wearer, never have been with the exception being when the weather/climate dictates. That means outdoors - a "toboggan" in the frosty months, maybe something with a bill when out on the water early in the season. In neither case is it required indoors, and thus not worn. I'm reminded of a scene from the Soprano's when Tony confronts some putz wearing a baseball cap in a nice restaurant ..

You see lots of Putzes here in Oklahoma. My Son In Law is one of them. He even wears it to the table. My wife holds her temper, barely.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu

I always feel bad for males who are missing the chance to be gentlemen because a part of their upbringing was omitted. It's very sad to see some poor slob wearing a baseball cap in a restaurant. I usually tell my wife he's probably going in next inning.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
"Back in the day" when hat wearing was the norm, most guys learned "the rules" by osmosis by seeing all the other guys around them following "the rules" and they'd just fit in with what all the other gents were doing (sure, there'd be a few oddball outliers doing their own thing ... but they'd stand out as such.

Hats are not accommodated these days, so I think some are just making it up as they go along. When did you last see a hat rack in a restaurant? If there is room to set my hat next to me on the seat I remove it. If not, then I must leave it on since I don't want it on my lap unless it is small enough. Headrests in cars are another issue for me.

Hats are not accommodated these days, so I think some are just making it up as they go along. When did you last see a hat rack in a restaurant? If there is room to set my hat next to me on the seat I remove it. If not, then I must leave it on since I don't want it on my lap unless it is small enough. Headrests in cars are another issue for me.
Even if there isn’t a hat rack or a spot on the seat next to me, the hat comes off out of respect for my wife. It comes off as soon as I enter the restaurant. If necessary I put the hat on my knee and hold on to it with my off hand. Not wearing a hat is not an option. The dermatologist MOHS surgeon just removed a Squamous Cell Carcinoma from my head. It was about the size of a half dollar and went all the way to my skull. I just can’t take chances without a hat.

Myself, I've had over two dozen Mohs surgeries and countless biopsies over the years. I always wear some type of headgear to protect my bald head. I would prefer a much wider brimmed hat but cars and restaurants are no longer designed for such head gear. If I wear a flat cap I can roll it and stuff it in my pocket when dining.

strop

Now half as wise
Interesting read. That is pretty much the practice that I have evolved over the years. Restaurants remain the biggest challenge. I have found that the maitre'd or waiter may have an out of the way place and will gladly store it for me. More casual places become more of a challenge, but I can usually find a window ledge, or someplace to keep it.

Top Bottom