What's new

Hasslinger Sheep Milk or any other...? (Pls help)

So, I'm browsing Hasslinger soaps, but I never used one.

They are really cheap, less than €4/puck.

So is the Sheep Milk the one to get... or are they all the same?

@BigJ you seem to be the Hasslinger Ambassador... any thoughts?

1601047899555.png

The Schafmilch is not the same as the others. It's a different formula and, in my opinion, the best that Haslinger offers. Also, Schafmilch pucks made before 2017ish are different than Schafmilch pucks made after 2017ish.

They are all terrific soaps but Schafmilch is my favorite. I imagine most people would agree. Buy some
Be aware, however, that they're not normal sized pucks. They are much smaller, but it's worth it.

Schafmilch is marketed as a less finicky Mitchell's Wool Fat.

If you can find any of the old 'tallow' formula, then that is what I recommend.

The newer formula is very fine also, just not as good. That said, I prefer schafmilch during the cold weather. But they are all good performers with very mild, fleeting scents. The pucks are small, but they last a long time!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The Schafmilch is not the same as the others. It's a different formula and, in my opinion, the best that Haslinger offers. Also, Schafmilch pucks made before 2017ish are different than Schafmilch pucks made after 2017ish.

They are all terrific soaps but Schafmilch is my favorite. I imagine most people would agree. Buy some
Be aware, however, that they're not normal sized pucks. They are much smaller, but it's worth it.

Schafmilch is marketed as a less finicky Mitchell's Wool Fat.
Thank you, this is what I imagined to be the case.

Yes, I am aware they are 60g pucks, as that pic above suggests. This is actually smth. I cherish, as the standard 150g pucks are HUUUUGE IMHO, it takes forever to use one. Much prefer smaller size, as I can rotate more products.

If you can find any of the old 'tallow' formula, then that is what I recommend.

The newer formula is very fine also, just not as good. That said, I prefer schafmilch during the cold weather. But they are all good performers with very mild, fleeting scents. The pucks are small, but they last a long time!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Tnx so much, will have a look.

I'm in Europe and quite a few online retailers have them, prices are more less the same, very affordable soap.

Will have a look around to see if they list tallow vs. new formula.

So, I'm browsing Haslinger soaps, but I never used one.

They are really cheap, less than €4/puck.

So is the Sheep Milk the one to get... or are they all the same?
They all perform very similarly. For some reason, people latch on to the Schafmilch and it seems to be the most popular. Try not to give in to group-think.
🐑🐑🐑 :a21:

If I were you, I would get two or three of the small pucks and try some variety. Of those I've tried, I like the Coconut, Honey and Marigold the best. Sage and Aloe Vera are good, also. Scents are mild and unlikely to offend, they smell like soap.
:shocked:

The main difference with the Schafmilch is the addition of lanolin. The Schafmilch smells a bit like some sort of hand lotion on the wife's dressing table, though. I'm not sure what they were thinking there.
:laugh:

There is also a "Sensitive" variant that has a different formula than the others.

Last edited:
They’re all quite good—some of my favorite soaps. I personally don’t notice a difference between the tallow and non-tallow versions.

Schafmilch is what they're famous for, so...if you're going to get any, that should be your first.
They also offer some scents not found in other brands.

Still, I fail to understand why they dropped the tallow in their Schafmilch soap formula.
It already contains lanolin, so it can never be truly vegan!
Just another example of the animal activists telling the rest of us what we can and cannot have!
The lesson here: Get your Schafmilch while it's still available!

ps. And you'll get my badger brush when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Schafmilch Haslinger is a excellent soap and if you can get it for 4 euros that is a excellent bargin. Enjoy a soap that has a lot of QC in making it IMO. Tripled milled also and it will last a little longer than the soft soaps.
Haslinger has been around for some time also- a good tell tale sign in a competitive market place.

...Still, I fail to understand why they dropped the tallow in their Schafmilch soap formula.
It already contains lanolin, so it can never be truly vegan!
Just another example of the animal activists telling the rest of us what we can and cannot have!
The lesson here: Get your Schafmilch while it's still available!...
I think this is down to current and pending European regulations that are more related to public health than animal activism. Ever heard of BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy aka mad cow disease)? Not to mention certain types of viruses. There is concern because it is difficult to know exactly what you are buying, products may be coming from countries that have very lax regulations (such as China). Selling plant products to Hindus and some other religious groups is easier, too.

In terms of Chemistry, tallow is not some sort of magic ingredient. Fatty acids derived from plants can do the same job, with careful formulation. Of course the American Rendering Association would tell you differently.

They all perform very similarly. For some reason, people latch on to the Schafmilch and it seems to be the most popular. Try not to give in to group-think.
🐑🐑🐑 :a21:

If I were you, I would get two or three of the small pucks and try some variety. Of those I've tried, I like the Coconut, Honey and Marigold the best. Sage and Aloe Vera are good, also. Scents are mild and unlikely to offend, they smell like soap.
:shocked:

The main difference with the Schafmilch is the addition of lanolin. The Schafmilch smells a bit like some sort of hand lotion on the wife's dressing table, though. I'm not sure what they were thinking there.
:laugh:

There is also a "Sensitive" variant that has a different formula than the others.
Wonderfu summary, thank you! 👍😊

I’ve 3017nd every puck that Haslinger makes. I spent an entire year using nothing but Haslinger so I got to know to very well. for my beard shafmilch does not perform any better than the others. They are all excellent.

Schafmilch smells like the sheep it comes from to me. At least, the tallow version did. I am not a fan based on the smell and quality of lather. For me, it does not live up to the reputation. I much prefer MWF or Schapenmelk from Cold River Soap Works.

Schaffmilch is a favorite.
Try the others!
Ringelblumen, Meeresalgen, and Coconut provide slightly different post shave comforts.
Aloe is good too.

Top Bottom