What's new

Haslinger soap

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The Haslinger pucks are small. Could you use a Haslinger puck like a shave stick?
Yes but the stick is more convenient for me and the soap is about as good as it gets. Actually, I've never had a soap that wasn't adequate. ARKO works as well as any I've used and it is inexpensive. Many complain about the scent but I'm fine with it - just a common citrus and I prefer face lathering anyway. I'm not into the soap "thing". My attention is more on the razor and the edge I can get on it than anything else.

Yes but the stick is more convenient for me and the soap is about as good as it gets. Actually, I've never had a soap that wasn't adequate. ARKO works as well as any I've used and it is inexpensive. Many complain about the scent but I'm fine with it - just a common citrus and I prefer face lathering anyway. I'm not into the soap "thing". My attention is more on the razor and the edge I can get on it than anything else.
Haslinger can be used to make excellent shave sticks. I've got several of them and you really can't fault them.

Yeah I really like coconut and Aloe. They all perform the same for me but I prefer the scent of those 2.

I bet I have 20 or 30 Haslinger stored away. Basically, with a couple exceptions, my stash consists of Haslinger and Valobra hard soaps in various forms (AoSt and Czech & Speake). I still 3017 soaps but it has more to do with I prefer using one soap from start to finish than it does getting rid of the stash. I like all of the soaps I have and will just continue enjoying them until eventually they, or me, are gone. If they go before me some years from now I'll worry about whats next. :c9:

This is just my Aloe stash. Note the date...2016....so all tallow. I have about this same amount in Shafmilch. Then I also have Sage, sandalwood, and coconut, but not quite in this same quantity. I think all-in I have about 25-30 pucks of Hasling aloe.jpger, mostly the tallow version.

I'm not proud of my Haslinger hoarding, but I am enjoying it.

Thought I’d give MWF another shot now that I’ve switched to face lathering. Performance felt ok, maybe a bit lacking in hydration no matter how much water I worked into the lather. Left my face feeling tight and a bit dry. I always noticed that MWF refuses to get to the creamy point that Haslinger does; instead it starts out foamy, seemingly over-aerated and stays that way no matter how much I work it. I think that has to do with the mediocre performance I get from it.

Back to Haslinger I come!

I’m interested in trying the Sensitive version and/or the Sensitive with Sage. I’ve read the Sensitive is pretty good, but about the one with Sage?

The Haslinger soaps perform very similarly with slight differences in ingredients. Sensitive does not have any fragrance, dyes, lanolin or other ingredients that can cause problems for people with allergies. Schafmilch is the only one with lanolin or milk ingredients.

The Sage is a mild herbal fragrance. It contains sage extract which is supposed to be good for soothing the skin.

I’m interested in trying the Sensitive version and/or the Sensitive with Sage. I’ve read the Sensitive is pretty good, but about the one with Sage?
I am not sure if it is all in my head, but I find that the blue Haslinger pucks don't lather quite the same as the white ones. In particular, Sage seemed to lack the incredible lathering qualities that I associate with something like the Aloe, from which I can almost make usable lather just by working the bloom water on my face. Don't get me wrong - it's Haslinger, so it's still more than acceptable in performance, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice. Definitely YMMV though!

I am not sure if it is all in my head, but I find that the blue Haslinger pucks don't lather quite the same as the white ones. In particular, Sage seemed to lack the incredible lathering qualities that I associate with something like the Aloe, from which I can almost make usable lather just by working the bloom water on my face. Don't get me wrong - it's Haslinger, so it's still more than acceptable in performance, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice. Definitely YMMV though!
Thanks! I remember your post on another thread about soap for sensitive skin and how fragrances can irritate your skin.

Is Haslinger Aloe that strongly scented? It was the next soap I wanted to try besides the sensitive. Does it mess up your skin?

I am not sure if it is all in my head, but I find that the blue Haslinger pucks don't lather quite the same as the white ones...

Blue dye makes a difference is lathering? :confused:

The ingredients are not very different with these soaps. I've used both the Sage and Seaweed, along with the others, they seemed fine to me.

...Is Haslinger Aloe that strongly scented? It was the next soap I wanted to try besides the sensitive. Does it mess up your skin?

If you have ever used Herbal Essence shampoo, that is about what it smells like. No problems. The Honey is a very mild scent, BTW.

Blue dye makes a difference is lathering? :confused:

It seems unlikely, doesn't it? And thinking about it, I didn't have the same feeling about the seaweed puck (which is also blue) so I wonder if it's something in the Sage extract. Also, I should have been more specific and said that the lather doesn't have quite the same qualities to it...perhaps not quite as cushioning and a tiny bit more drying...or like I said, it's all in my head! :out::biggrin1::out:

Thanks! I remember your post on another thread about soap for sensitive skin and how fragrances can irritate your skin.

Is Haslinger Aloe that strongly scented? It was the next soap I wanted to try besides the sensitive. Does it mess up your skin?

No - Haslinger soaps are very mild in scent. I think they are more about the skin conditioning properties of the different ingredients than imparting a scent to the soaps. I really like the Aloe Haslinger - I have more of it in my small Haslinger stash than any other flavour...although going forward I will probably add more Schafmilch too, unless veggie MWF proves better than it seems thus far.

@Goblin is it possible the blue pucks are the previous v1 vegetal formulation?

Well, there's a thought. It was long enough ago that I guess it could have been! It was part of my first order of veggie Haslingers, so I guess I could have gotten a mix of V1 and V2. I mean, I don't remember it being terrible, just out of the various flavours I had, it seemed not quite on par with the others and I think after a few uses I grated it and mixed it with a puck of Aloe. It's an interesting theory - I guess at some point I will have to order another puck of Sage and see if it is better than I remember.

As it's been said the Haslinger soaps are quite mild with their scent profiles. Before I settled on the Sheep's Milk version I tried most of the others and didn't really find them to be different in the lathering department. That said, I just prefer the face feel of the Schafmilch (Sheep's Milk) version - there's just something about it that feels really nice to me - during and after.

:sailor:

Used my Haslinger Sandelholz again this morning. Wonderful lather. Excellent post shave feel.

As it's been said the Haslinger soaps are quite mild with their scent profiles.
Absolutely. If you compare Haslinger Sandelholz to the Sandalwood found in Tabac for example - they are worlds apart. I have found this to be the same with TOBS Sandalwood too.

Guido

Haslinger can be used to make excellent shave sticks. I've got several of them and you really can't fault them.

Interesting comment. 🙏

When you said “can be used to make excellent shave sticks”, I thought why not use the smallish Haslinger puck as a shaving stick “as is” by rubbing it straight into the stubble?

I tried that today with a fresh puck of Haslinger Honig (Honey) and it worked quite well.

I was never big on shaving sticks, found that they often lack cushion and lubrication (specially when using a straight razor) and used them only when going on short overnight trips. With the exception of the Tabac stick, most of them had none or unreliable (La Toja, Lea) travel containers where the cap came off easily.

Palmolive sticks are out of production, La Toja is off my shopping list since they pulled the plug on the shaving creams, I still have a few Tabac shaving sticks but probably won’t replace them when gone, and the Lea stick is really not that great, just adequate.

And my little experiment this morning proved that I actually don’t need shaving sticks.

A small tin of Haslinger shaving soap is about as practical to carry on an overnight trip as a shaving stick, I like shaving soap better anyway, and if I ever should feel the urge to use a shaving stick for “old times’ sake” I can always rub a puck of Haslinger shaving soap into my face and pretend it is a stick. :sneaky2:

Sometimes you can solve a problem (most compact form of shaving soap when travelling by air) by taking something (shaving stick) away. :thumbup:

Brilliant…
Again, thank you for mentioning this.

B.

...A small tin of Haslinger shaving soap is about as practical to carry on an overnight trip as a shaving stick, I like shaving soap better anyway, and if I ever should feel the urge to use a shaving stick for “old times’ sake” I can always rub a puck of Haslinger shaving soap into my face and pretend it is a stick. :sneaky2:

Sometimes you can solve a problem (most compact form of shaving soap when travelling by air) by taking something (shaving stick) away. :thumbup: ...

That works well, too!

I've been using a similar technique with Haslinger and Klar (both small diameter soaps in a can). This involves using the puck in the same way you would a stick (as above) plus charging the brush a bit while holding the soap in one hand, then face lathering as usual. This produces a really abundant creamy lather quickly.

Top Bottom